Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Investigation suggests Blythewood HS coach tried to recruit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Investigation suggests Blythewood HS coach tried to recruit

Aug 16, 2019, 4:09 PM

By Joe Gorchow | August 16, 2019 at 3:18 PM EDT - Updated August 16 at 3:28 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - A WIS investigation has revealed an attempt to recruit student athletes within Richland School District Two to play football for Blythewood High School.

Blythewood Bengals head coach Jason Seidel (Source: WIS)
We have documents that suggest Blythewood Bengals head coach Jason Seidel violated Richland Two’s policy. Richland Two Chief Communications Officer, Libby Roof, confirms the district “took appropriate personnel action with the coach for violations of the district’s position on recruiting.”

According to Twitter messages WIS obtained, Seidel began communicating with at least three football players from Ridge View High School in January of 2019.

We have confirmed he had other communication with two other high school football players from within the same school district—which brings the total to five students.

The Richland Two athletics manual, which each employee must sign, says, "Recruiting of prospective students for athletic purposes is a serious ethical violation of the philosophy and ideals of interscholastic athletics and will be treated as such. For purposes of this section, recruiting is defined as an attempt by an individual(s) or group associated with a school to entice a student to attend or to transfer to a school for athletic purposes through the exertion of undue influence or any special treatment."

We have removed all the student athlete’s names for this story. We are instead referring to them as “Player X,” distinguishing them with different letters.

In an exchange with Player A, on January 13, Seidel stated, "The quicker you guys get here, the more I can do with you in the weight room." Seidel added, "Let the guys know that."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Investigation suggests Blythewood HS coach tried to recruit

Aug 16, 2019, 4:39 PM

My senior year, in hi school, we had twenty five players on the team. we lost two during the course of the year, one to injury, and one that reached the playing age limit. Because of realignment, we played a 4A schedule, even though our school was no where 4A size. We had the first winning record, our school had in five years. We weren't a power house for sure,and we took some pretty rough lumps, but we did it the right way. We did it without recruiting, and without breaking the rules. We weren't a championship team, no where near it, but I'm extremely proud of what we accomplished.

I'm told that recruiting players is a pretty common thing these days, I don't know. I've also heard that some schools have been doing this for years and years. What a shame. Play the game to win, but play it with good sportsmanship, and play it the right way.

That's one of the things I like about Dabo. I think he is determined, that Clemson is going to win, and Clemson is going to do it right.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of recruiting is

Aug 16, 2019, 4:54 PM

"...recruiting is defined as an attempt by an individual(s) or group associated with a school to entice a student to attend or to transfer to a school for athletic purposes through the exertion of undue influence or any special treatment."

"Hey, I sure would love to have you guys play for us at Blythewood, and the sooner you get here the more we can do in the weight room" doesn't sound like "undue influence or any special treatment".

He maybe got a little flagrant with it - need to keep those conversations on the down low, and not so many at once - but there is nothing wrong with letting a kid know that you have a place for him. The rule is definitely not a 'no contact' rule. There is a lot of wiggle room in LIbby Roof's comment, like she could have said to the coach, "Dang it, man, keep that stuff off twitter, will you?"

Bill Blankenship, legendary coach at Union High (Tulsa), who coached now VT coach Justin Fuentes when he was the QB at Union, spoke at a breakfast meeting a few of us put on. After his comments there was a Q&A, and a guy in the back of the room put a smirk on his face, raised his hand and said, "There are rumors you recruit players. What do you say to that?"

"Rumors? What rumors? Of course we recruit! What, you think we're gonna let a 4.4 guy at some AA school sit there until he moves to Jenks (the rival HS)? I'm going to figure out some way to let his parents know that we sure would love to have their son with us. Next question."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 5:05 PM

You cats ever heard of Knobby Bentley, shats been going on for years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

came to say that...was well known byrnes

Aug 16, 2019, 5:43 PM

did it..

Most of you are too young to be aware of this, but back in

Aug 16, 2019, 6:16 PM

the 1960’s Valdosta, GA was renowned for this. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi and Valdosta went four years undefeated, and Valdosta is a small town in South Georgia. I had a college classmate who’s brother played on those teams. The coaching staff would scout YMCA and other youth teams in the surrounding area and, if they saw a kid with potential, his parent would “out of the blue” get a better job offer in Valdosta. Additionally Valdosta would have spring practice when that was unheard of.

Finally, when the team that went four years undefeated, all seniors had been held back in the eighth grade. My friend’s brother was one of them.

Pinky Babb also had a system at Greenwood here in S.C.

Re: Most of you are too young to be aware of this, but back in

Aug 16, 2019, 6:52 PM

The Green wave were doing it back in the 60's.

Aug 16, 2019, 7:14 PM

Yes they did. Late ‘70 knew a family wanting to send son there. Parents had to file for divorce, and father and son had to sleep there x amount of times a week. Met a boy that same year and he said there’s a school in M Beach also recruiting.

Aug 16, 2019, 7:50 PM

Lower Richland has been doing it for decades. Mooney Player probably started all this at LR.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 2:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Most of you are too young to be aware of this, but back in ]

And the 70's.

Aug 17, 2019, 2:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Most of you are too young to be aware of this, but back in ]

Green Wave.... Add the 70's.

Aug 16, 2019, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Most of you are too young to be aware of this, but back in ]

When I was in the Navy, my chief told me that one of the local hi schools had a red shirt program, and some of the players were as old as 21, before they graduated. That's like college players against hi school kids.

While it's been going on forever in public HS

Aug 16, 2019, 8:09 PM

Traditionally, the worst at recruiting players from other schools are the Private Schools, the Church Schools and now the Charter Schools are on the way to being as bad as the Military Preps and Sports Academy programs.

Re: While it's been going on forever in public HS

Aug 16, 2019, 8:28 PM

The schools I'm familiar with were all public. There never was a private school locally big enough to have a football program, until the last few years. It was rumored that the coach was recruiting players from the local public schools. Now whether or not he was being underhanded about it, I don't know, but it was obvious that some of the kids on the team could never afford to attend this school. Whether or not these kids made good decisions, to attend this school, is something else, that I don't know. I've never heard of any player from this school being awarded a scholarship, whereas if they had remained at the public schools, they might have.

Aug 17, 2019, 12:06 AM

Dutch Fork High School says hello....

Aug 17, 2019, 5:53 AM

LCTiger97 said:

Dutch Fork High School says hello....

I think Tom Knotts is coach at Dutch Fork. He used to be coach at Independence High in Charlotte and was notorious for recruiting players. He left for Dutch Fork when the negative publicity got so bad.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 1:26 AM

WIS acting like they made some monumental discovery. This happens all the time.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic