Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lets face it folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 450

Lets face it folks

Mar 2, 2016, 12:38 AM

this race is set. Tonight was the beginning of the General election with Hillary v Trump.

Hillary is well on her way, she's locked up tons of Delegates, and more importantly Super Delegates, and clearly has the mo. We all knew Bernie was a longshot anyway, he doesn't have a chance

The Donald has also done the same. Minus a minor miracle, and or some backroom tinkering by the GOP Trump is the Repub's guy. If the GOP big wigs did try to steal it from Trump, they will forever be known as the party that denied their voters voice. AND Trump would run as an independent, giving the GOP a big FU

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

I don't think the Bush family and establishment are going to

Mar 2, 2016, 12:48 AM

allow Trump to win the nom. I hope anyways.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

What can they do? Shoot him?***

Mar 2, 2016, 9:18 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brokered convention***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:59 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

That may not go the way they want***

Mar 2, 2016, 11:09 AM

This is wrong for a couple of reasons

Mar 2, 2016, 1:02 AM

First of all, we saw Rubio and Cruz narrow Trump's leads in the polls in a number of states, to the point that either one of them would easily have won if Kasich and/or Carson weren't in the race. Rubio, in particular, continues to outperform his polling and has been trending upward for a little while now.

Second, a brokered convention wouldn't deny "their voter's voice." Trump isn't winning a majority of voters, and, in fact, a majority of Republicans are voting against him. What's actually happening is that there have been too many good, mainstream, Republican candidates in the race to beat Trump while splitting the votes of mainstream Republicans. So a brokered convention could actually allow the majority of Republicans to unite around a candidate more acceptable to most Republicans than Trump is.

Even though a brokered convention wouldn't be "stealing" anything from anybody, I'd still rather the GOP be known as the party that "denied their voters [sic] voice" saying they want Trump than for the GOP to forever be known as the party that nominated Trump.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is wrong for a couple of reasons

Mar 2, 2016, 1:18 AM

I hear what ur saying, but what ur saying is "if" these other guys get out of the race....so far none of them are. Cruz and Rubio are saying they will fight til the convention...even have a convention strategery. Now if they do indeed stay in or get out, remains to be seen. You are also making an assumption that Kasich and Carson's votes go to Rubio or Cruz. What if some go to Trump???

There hasn't been a brokered convention in a very long time, and few people actually know the rules on such things. So even though it may make sense, can you imagine if Trump gets the (or even close) to what he needs then the GOP pulls it away...oh the outrage

this is gonna be interesting. Theres never been (as far as I know) anything like this

Re: This is wrong for a couple of reasons

Mar 2, 2016, 8:00 AM [ in reply to This is wrong for a couple of reasons ]

"there have been too many good, mainstream, Republican candidates in the race"

BHAHAHAHAAHAH I needed a good laugh to start my day.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Cruz qualifies as a "good, mainstream Republican"

Mar 2, 2016, 8:04 AM [ in reply to This is wrong for a couple of reasons ]

the GOP has much bigger problems than Trump.

Your snark aside, that's obvious relative to Trump

Mar 2, 2016, 11:53 AM

Cruz is probably one of the most principled people in elected office, even if he is obnoxious. It's the way he's pursued advancing his principles that has ticked people off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's convinced on principles that deporting 11 million

Mar 2, 2016, 12:54 PM

people is not only possible, but a good idea. He wants to triple border security. He's also advocated building the wall which would be a boondoggle of wasteful government spending. All of that while advocating a completely balanced budget that doesn't cut social security or defense spending and eliminates corporate income tax while instituting a flat tax of 10%.

He wants Supreme Court justices to be elected by popular vote and have term limits, something that would have never allowed decisions like Brown v Board of Education to happen.

Conservatively, I'd say that's lunacy.

You're not representing his positions accurately

Mar 2, 2016, 3:09 PM

First of all, he's never said that he was Supreme Court justices to be elected by popular vote. Instead, he said they should be subject to retention elections like they are in a lot of states. Many liberals support term limits for Supreme Court justices, so that's not just a Ted Cruz position. And I haven't seen any of this discussed as part of his presidential platform.

As for "the wall," here's what Cruz actually advocates:

"Build a wall that works. The unsecured border with Mexico invites illegal immigrants, criminals, and terrorists to tread on American soil. Millions of people from all over the world, including from hostile nations and terrorist havens, have been apprehended at our southern border – and many who make it through are never caught. This is a failure of the highest order. I will fulfill the promise Congress made to the American people almost 10 years ago by completing all 700 miles of priority fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border, and dedicate the resources necessary to replace all single-layer fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border to build a fence that keeps people out and that is technology-supported and law enforcement-accessible. If other nations, such as Israel, can build an effective border wall, the United States certainly can."

So that's really nothing more than doing what's already been authorized.

I'm not going to go into the specifics of the other stuff, because it's irrelevant to my point. Cruz is hard-core, to be sure, but he's a mainstream politician. Maybe a good analogue would be Bernie Sanders among the Democrats. He's very extreme, but he is welcome to caucus with the Democrats. Neither of them are as unacceptable personally or policy-wise to their party as Trump is.

And all of this is a big red herring from the overall point of my post, which was that Trump would not have been winning if there only 1 or 2 mainstream Republican candidates instead of starting off with 16.

LOLOL at "too many good mainstream pub candidates."

Mar 2, 2016, 8:07 AM [ in reply to This is wrong for a couple of reasons ]

I didn't vote for Trump, but I'd hardly say we've got any great choices at all. I don't really see Rubio beating Hillary and Cruz just comes off as kind of a goofy scripted character. It's going to be an interesting general election regardless of who the republican nominee is.

ROH

Rubio and Kasich both poll ahead of Hillary

Mar 2, 2016, 11:55 AM

Also, who would a good Republican be to you? If you can't think of anybody, then you might have unrealistic expectations of politics and politicians.

Re: Lets face it folks

Mar 2, 2016, 9:40 AM

Let's face it dude, you don't know what you are talking about. Last night was not great for Trump. Brokered convention looking increasingly likely.

in what world is winning 7 of 10 primaries not good?***

Mar 2, 2016, 9:47 AM

A world where Trump won 7 of 10 primaries.***

Mar 2, 2016, 9:55 AM

Re: in what world is winning 7 of 10 primaries not good?***

Mar 2, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to in what world is winning 7 of 10 primaries not good?*** ]

A world where all of those primaries assign delegates proportionally.

Not to mention he failed to get over his 35% theoretic ceiling.

Most Republicans are still anti-Trump.

"Most Republicans are still anti-Trump. "

Mar 2, 2016, 10:00 AM

I keep reading this.

How does he keep winning?

Re: "Most Republicans are still anti-Trump. "

Mar 2, 2016, 10:02 AM

There are 5 candidates still taking 5%+ of the votes.

Have you ever heard of a plurality?

Trump has received 34% of the votes cast thus far.

Of the 11 state primaries last night

Mar 2, 2016, 10:09 AM

Trump won 7 of them. Of those 7, he won 4 by double digits. In 2 of those, he won by more than twice as much as the #2.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results

I keep reading you and Cam say this, but it just doesn't seem to hold water.

Re: Lets face it folks

Mar 2, 2016, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Lets face it folks ]

you are gonna keep saying that until the winner take all happens and Trump crushes the others. you are clearly on step 1 of acceptance of Trump... denial

Replies: 21
| visibility 450
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic