Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Morris and Hobby to join Clemson staff pending background checks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Jan 10, 2011, 10:34 AM

lemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney announced Monday that Chad Morris and Marion Hobby will join the Clemson football coaching staff. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sources say Morris and Hobby were chewing gum in class!

Jan 10, 2011, 10:40 AM

In trouble now ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sources say Morris and Hobby were chewing gum in class!

Jan 10, 2011, 11:56 AM

Had you rather have kept Napier? Are you kidding me? Rumph, may be a loss, but he did have the best talent and depth to work with we have had since DF was here, and Hobby has a pretty good resume' for performance. If he can have decent performance at Duke and at Ol' Miss, then he may be very special at Clemson. I don't feel bad about these hires.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your point is invalid regarding Rumph and talent

Jan 10, 2011, 12:35 PM

you make it sounds as though Rumph had easy job due to having great talent. If that was the case then why did Dabo coach us to 6-7?

Son, you obviously misunderstood this post.***

Jan 10, 2011, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Sources say Morris and Hobby were chewing gum in class! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Morris and Hobby to join Clemson staff pending background checks

Jan 10, 2011, 11:40 AM

It looks on paper that Dabo has brought in a pretty good pedigree of coaches. A lot of folks will argue that Morris's pedigree comes from mostly HS and a lowly Tulsa. Personally the way I see it. Every place he has coached, he has left a paper trail of good accomplishments. That in its self shows that what he does, he is doing it right, and having great success. I'm not in anyway saying that he is going to be a world beater in the DV1 ranks of college FB. But I will go out on the limb and say, he stands as good as a chance to turn our program around as anyone else could. Some say he doesn't have enough experience in DV1 ranks, and this is so, and the point is made. But no one can say he can't teach Football. His records, awards, titles, and stats from where ever he has coached, has shown that he can teach football. I wasn't that happy at first with the talk of hiring him. But after all I have read about COACH MORRIS, I'm 100% all in behind him. I think we are on the right road to recovery, GOOOOOO TIGERSSSSS !!!

Jan 10, 2011, 11:44 AM

I feel good about it... this makes me feel, even more, than 2012 will be a breakout year. 2011 will be some growing.. maybe a slow start with a hot finish.

They said the same thing about Dabo. It'll be 30 years soon.***

Jan 10, 2011, 11:51 AM

Re: They said the same thing about Dabo. It'll be 30 years soon.***

Jan 10, 2011, 12:21 PM

It even took Saban a year before Alabama won a NC. I doubt a NC will be in our near future, but we don't have Alabama's resources, either. I hope, and I believe, these will be good hires, but time will tell. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Initial PR blitz foretold this as a 1-candidate "search".

Jan 10, 2011, 1:05 PM

As I predicted (see following link) based on the fact that, from the outset, T-Net, Mickey Plyler, & the compliant local media basically only seriously mentioned Morris as a candidate (and vigorously sold his credentials without the slightest bit of balance about his lack of big-league experience) I think this was a 1-candidate search all along.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10055438#10055438

It was exactly like the PR blitz before Clemson made Dabo head coach. No other candidates were seriously mentioned by the local media, and only ridiculously unbalanced, positive things were said about Dabo's credentials, despite the obvious fact that Dabo basically had no credentials to be head coach and that no other FBS AD in the country would have even interviewed Dabo for a head coaching position. It was like the local media just parroted whatever Terry Don Phillips wanted them to say.

I'm not saying that Morris is a bad hire. I don't know. He can't be worse than the Dabo/Napier offensive mess that we've had for the last two years. I'm just saying that the fix was in from the start and the local media seems to act as a PR mouthpiece for the athletic department. Everything that is reported in the local media, is basically EXACTLY the kind of PR that you would want reported if you were the Clemson AD.

The only two times that I can recall something negative reported on T-Net about the coaches or administration were when Mickey Plyler called for Bowden to be fired about a day before Bowden was fired, and when T-Net mentioned something negative about Napier exactly 2 days before Napier's firing was officially announced. Coincidence?

Razzz... i don't understand....

Jan 10, 2011, 2:37 PM

Do you hire and fire high-level positions? I do. And I can tell you that if anyone on my team leaves, I already know who I'm going after. Any good leader of high-level and high-dollar employees already know who the next guy is going to be if the opportunity is there. I know for sure that if I leave my job, my boss has my replacement ready to go. Trust me, no one at Dabo's level (a div 1 coach) has to thnk too long and hard about who they want on their team when a replacement is needed, and sure as heck isn't going to waste time interviewing out of courtesy... So cut the "one interview" argument. It makes no sense to those of us who've had to make the same type of decisions. It's just how life works.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Particularly true since Dabo fired Napier, so I'm sure he

Jan 10, 2011, 2:39 PM

had already thought about replacements for a long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! And TDP knew all along that he'd hire Dabo.

Jan 10, 2011, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Razzz... i don't understand.... ]

You apparently missed my point. My point was that when you see the local Clemson media pumping up a candidate from the outset (and glossing over any glaringly obvious concerns like lack of experience), you know that there isn't really a candidate "search" going on, just a pre-announcement PR blitz orchestrated by the Clemson athletic department.

BTW: Yes, I've hired for high level positions, and yes, I've actually interviewed multiple candidates with an open mind. It's really not a bad idea... especially if somebody good comes available that you wouldn't have though was an option (like perhaps Fridge or RichRod in this case). But again, my point was NOT about Dabo's hiring process; it was about the local media's behavior.

And that affects WHAT?***

Jan 10, 2011, 11:25 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Our ability to get anything but CUAD-based PR from the media***

Jan 11, 2011, 11:43 AM

Jan 10, 2011, 1:22 PM

thats what they said about Danny!!! lets wait and see

Jan 10, 2011, 2:12 PM

Hope they dont pull an oleary and say they won a nobel peace prize or something

Task for someone who's bored

Jan 10, 2011, 2:41 PM

This article lists all of the statistical improvements by nat'l rank from 2009 to 2010. I'd be interested to see the nat'l defensive rankings of the teams they played in both '09 and '10 for both years and see if there's any correlation....

PS, I think it was a decent hire - just curious

Here you go:

Jan 10, 2011, 2:55 PM

On average in 2009, the defenses Tulsa played against ranked 72nd in the country. In 2010, they averaged 83rd in the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, the defenses improved from '09 to '10...

Jan 10, 2011, 2:58 PM

from 'pretty crappy' to 'kinda crappy'.

ok, thx!

In 2010 Clemson's opponents' avg rank was 38th in total-D.

Jan 10, 2011, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Here you go: ]

And Tulsa's opponents' average rank was 83rd in total-D?

I hope Morris can tranlate his success to the big leagues.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic