Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Monte Critics
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Monte Critics

Jun 3, 2018, 2:01 PM

Long way to go but we have the lead. Regardless, those criticizing Monte and this team's postseason success, or lack thereof, should understand that baseball is a different animal than football or basketball. Generally speaking in those sports the better team wins. Baseball is a game of streaks and starting pitching. If your pitcher is off and theirs is on, you lose. That doesnt mean that you wouldnt beat that team 75 percent off the time. Thats why in the MLB they play 162 games. Over the span of the season the cream rises to the top. Rarely though does the best team end up the champ. It is the hottest team that brings home the hardware. Baseball is the one game that I can think of that even the best teams lose 25 percent, or more, of the games. Postseason comes down to timing. Give the man some time. If he keeps putting quality teams on the field, the hardware will come.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Monte Critics

Jun 3, 2018, 2:06 PM

Seems as if positive posts move down the board quickly....

Jun 3, 2018, 2:06 PM

Thank you Mrs. Lee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 3, 2018, 2:15 PM

Are you saying teams that win baseball games do it simply on luck?

If so, I sure hope that Clemson can "luck" out into a few national titles soon.

Jun 3, 2018, 2:32 PM

Seems like a simple minded response. I'm saying that, for example, the worst team in the mlb will beat the best team almost a third of the time. Thats why series are played in the postseason to determine the best team and even then the sample size is often too small. If you cant wrap your head around that, then I dont know how to help you.
I, unlike you I am assuming, have played collegiate baseball. Wish it was for my Tigers but it was not. I have been apart of teams that beat teams that we would lose to 90 percent of the time and lost to teams where the roles were reversed.
The point is, if we play Vandy in football 10 times we likely win 10. In baseball win 6 or 7. When it comes this postseason format, the better team often doesnt make it out.

Jun 3, 2018, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Monte Critics ]

Seems like a simple minded response. I'm saying that, for example, the worst team in the mlb will beat the best team almost a third of the time. Thats why series are played in the postseason to determine the best team and even then the sample size is often too small. If you cant wrap your head around that, then I dont know how to help you.
I, unlike you I am assuming, have played collegiate baseball. Wish it was for my Tigers but it was not. I have been apart of teams that beat teams that we would lose to 90 percent of the time and lost to teams where the roles were reversed.
The point is, if we play Vandy in football 10 times we likely win 10. In baseball win 6 or 7. When it comes this postseason format, the better team often doesnt make it out.

Jun 3, 2018, 2:41 PM

Excellent points-

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2018, 3:07 PM

Funny the only positive response comes from the highest pulse. And it normally drives me crazy when pulse is brought up..

A couple things:

Jun 3, 2018, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Monte Critics ]

1. Don't compare pro sports to college. The parody at those levels is insane.

2. Vandy was 5-5-1 over 11 games coming in last season, then had no pulse in the Super. It's not like they got hot for a short 4 game span last year.

3. DOUBLE ELIMINATION is designed to offset the great pitching performance or the bad day at the plate. Having to lose TWICE means that more times than not, the better team does win.

4. You're chalking up postseason failings to not being hot at the right time. Are we really so unlucky that it's happened three times to us? Keep in mind when you suggest we aren't hot enough that we won the ACCT in '16, and came in to this Regional winning 17 of 20.

Jun 3, 2018, 2:35 PM

Didn’t read.

Learn to use paragraphs.

Jun 3, 2018, 3:05 PM

Forgive that I didnt use properly seperate my post into paragraphs. Could you please overlook the lack of proper use of apostrophes and the like? I should have written a rough draft. Maybe I should have downloaded Word for Android as well so that I could get it perfect, then copy and paste. I don't know if I can live with all these attacks from such low pulses.

In response to the "double elimination" comment by someone, the first loss puts you in a much different position. It is not as if we could just line up and play Vandy again without the extra game. Any excuse not to get the point....

To the MLB vs College parody comment, that is true when it comes to the very bottom vs the top of D1. The talent in baseball is more spread out than any other sport. There are Juco teams that would give the top 10 in D1 fits. Especially amongst power 5 teams that make the tourney, the parody is much more present than you imply. Thats why we have one of the best records in the land and have lost 15 times. Do the math...

Jun 3, 2018, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Monte Critics ]

Forgive that I didnt use properly seperate my post into paragraphs. Could you please overlook the lack of proper use of apostrophes and the like? I should have written a rough draft. Maybe I should have downloaded Word for Android as well so that I could get it perfect, then copy and paste. I don't know if I can live with all these attacks from such low pulses.

In response to the "double elimination" comment by someone, the first loss puts you in a much different position. It is not as if we could just line up and play Vandy again without the extra game. Any excuse not to get the point....

To the MLB vs College parody comment, that is true when it comes to the very bottom vs the top of D1. The talent in baseball is more spread out than any other sport. There are Juco teams that would give the top 10 in D1 fits. Especially amongst power 5 teams that make the tourney, the parody is much more present than you imply. Thats why we have one of the best records in the land and have lost 15 times. Do the math...

So coach in the regular seasons and hope we're hot...

Jun 3, 2018, 2:36 PM

in the Regionals? That's the best we can do? We finished the year winning 17 of 20. We were playing good enough ball to win a Regional.

Re: So coach in the regular seasons and hope we're hot...

Jun 3, 2018, 2:38 PM

since the regional is over no more use to be here. maybe you can go draw up some more plays for kicking off both halves. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won't need to this year seeing as how we'll have a...

Jun 3, 2018, 2:40 PM

o02u2 023
+downfield passing game. I just love how you would take the ball because that's everyone else would do. But you can make no justification or argument for ANYTHING you ever post. Zero rationale. You never answered my question though: did you think we were actually going to move the ball on Bama gong in?

Maybe you read something in an article or headline that tipped you off.

Jun 3, 2018, 2:39 PM

They have played 60+ games and it’s very rare for a team to lose 3 straight home regionals.
Nobody thinks Monte needs to be fired but he needs to make some changes

Jun 3, 2018, 3:11 PM

I judge coaching on the decisions the players make in key situations. As a team, we appear to do a VERY poor job. Not saying Monte should be fired, but he needs to eliminate the mental mistakes and possibly recruit players who are mentally better in the clutch.

Jun 3, 2018, 3:25 PM

If that is what you are going on, then I cannot argue your point. Mainly referring to those who only see W vs L.

Jun 3, 2018, 3:48 PM

Agree about W-L. However, this game being a prime example of what I am saying about the mental part of the game. With just average base running decisions, we easily have 2-3 more runs and this rally by SJ is not a big deal. We just leave too many runs on the bases for my liking and it needs to change.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic