Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Dividends
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Dividends

Jan 3, 2013, 10:22 AM

Dividends

Dividends
The win over LSU Monday night was one of the best in recent years and like many others, I believe this could lead to big things for this program. However, that is not a given.

I sat in the Georgia Dome on January 2, 2004 and watched Clemson destroy sixth ranked Tennessee 27-14

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont get it..

Jan 3, 2013, 11:03 AM

What is the purpose of this article ?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To temper the excitement of a huge with with a small dose

Jan 3, 2013, 11:08 AM

of reality?

Perhaps?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dont get it..

Jan 3, 2013, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I dont get it.. ]

Mickey scrambling to cover his a$$ for his pre-game comments.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dont get it..

Jan 3, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to I dont get it.. ]

I do get it! This game has no impact on how we will play against UGa in 2013. We lose Freeman, Willard, Ellington, Hall, Meeks, Brewer, Ford and maybe Boyd and Hopkins.

I expect us to be better next year than this year in the trenches, but I do not expect us to be better at RB or TE or to be able to replace Boyd and Hopkins if they decide to go to the NFL. I support and wish them well if they do and it may be the best decision for both of them. I do not know how much they can improve their stock at Clemson next year, I am selfish enough to hope they come back and love what they have done at Clemson enough to pull for them no matter what colors they are wearing next year. I pull for all our guys in the NFL and I expect Hopkins to go in the late 1st round if he comes out this year. He does things that I only see pro bowl receivers and TEs doing in the NFL. He creates his own space to go get the ball.

To remind us that 1 win doesn't make next year automatic

Jan 3, 2013, 2:34 PM [ in reply to I dont get it.. ]

Still have to work hard to come out on top. Easy to forget when you win big games.

The finish to the 2003 season did not produce the type of

Jan 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

impact most would have hoped for ...

This was especially true in recruiting, where most high-profile guys seem to have already formed their opinion of Clemson based on the Wake Forest game and our great run down the stretch couldn't bring them back.

We had some great players on the 2003 team, but we weren't particularly deep and on top of losing guys like Chad Jasmin, also unexpectedly losing a star like Derrick Hamilton was sort of crippling.

Although this year we know we lose Ellington, and expect to lose Hopkins, but if we have Boyd and a rejuvenated Sammy Watkins next year, we have depth most everywhere to produce big in 2013.

Unexpectedly losing Boyd could potentially produce another 2004 let-down.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd and Hopkins are coming back***

Jan 3, 2013, 1:04 PM

Re: Boyd and Hopkins are coming back***

Jan 3, 2013, 1:51 PM

Selfishly, I hope you're right, but Nuk has almost nothing left to prove and he really could not do anything next year to improve his draft status, his only real shortcoming being a touch short on speed. If he comes back, it will simply be for the love of the college experience ... and oh yeah, he'd probably like to beat SCAR once before he goes.

Amen!!***

Jan 3, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Boyd and Hopkins are coming back*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winning one quality game doesn't change the direction of

Jan 3, 2013, 1:09 PM

a program. Consistently winning and consistently beating quality competition is how you build a dynasty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say you're wrong ... it has to begin somewhere ...

Jan 3, 2013, 4:37 PM

It certainly is not a foregone conclusion that ending with a huge win will bring about a program changing turnaround, but it does happen more frequently than you want to credit.

In 1976, we only won 3 games, but the last one was a big upset of SCAR ... the next year we won 8 games and went to the Gator Bowl for our first bowl appearance in 17 years. We won the ACC the next year and beat Ohio State in the Gator.

In 1980, we limped into the final game at 5-5 ... a defeat gives us a losing season and puts Danny Ford firmly on the hot seat. We beat SCAR in an upset in that game and the next year we ... well, you know what happened.

Will winning the game last Monday produce similar results? Who knows, but there is no way to deny that it could.

Our potential results next year are due to our current

Jan 3, 2013, 4:41 PM

players and dependent upon which ones come back. We also need to get some help from recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. The Peach Bowl *might* help with that but really those minds are probably already made up - and have been for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree that a win probably doesn't cause a good player to

Jan 4, 2013, 9:07 AM

decommit and change to Clemson, but for guys like Montravious Adams who obviously want to come to Clemson and need perhaps just one more good reason to choose the Tigers, the afterglow of a win like that could provide the push going into NSD ... I think there are several 4*-5* guys like that out there who just need a little more justification to go ahead and choose Clemson.

I would argue the first VT win last year

Jan 3, 2013, 1:10 PM

was bigger than the 2nd. It was AT VT and everyone and their brother was expecting us to get nut kicked.

and we expected it again the second time. We were over

Jan 3, 2013, 2:46 PM

confident the third meeting this year and allowed them to score as many points in this year's game as the previous two combined.

;)

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Dividends

Jan 3, 2013, 3:25 PM

I don't get it either. I think most of us are smart enough to know that one win doesn't a dynasty make. But why play devils advocate? Just let us enjoy it and worry about next year next year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the players keep their egos in check and work hard

Jan 3, 2013, 4:34 PM

all summer, they could have a really great year next year.

But, as Clemson has done lately, one good win and their heads get too big and they fail.

Hand them an orange before workouts!***

Jan 3, 2013, 9:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2013, 5:05 PM

Great blog Mickey! The euphoria over the LSU win has engulfed (and rightfully so) most Tiger fans. You give several good examples of how that does not necessairly carry over to next year. Hopefully it will, but only time will tell.

Jan 5, 2013, 9:13 PM

The difference this year was the preparation for the bowl, and we saw that throughout the game. Get beaten on your 1 on 1 matchup one play? Get back and fight on the next. There was no wilting, despite numerous setbacks that typically lower the motivational motor.

This team fought very, very hard, and if the coaching staff brings that mental and physical toughness to the spring and fall practices, we'll be in for great things.

We still haven't arrived. Next step: Fearsome toughness. When 4th and one comes, you've got to know you can run the ball up the middle and get the first down, AND the other team has to know it too.

Exciting times.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic