Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler: Same Ole' Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Sep 21, 2010, 12:29 PM

Anyone that thinks that this year's team is the same ole’ Clemson was not paying attention. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ole'!!!!!!!***

Sep 21, 2010, 12:52 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Ol'***

Sep 21, 2010, 1:28 PM

Re: Mickey Plyler: Same 'Ole Clemson?

Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 PM

Saturday's "loss" may well translate into tomorrow's wins.
In the 80's, folks feared Clemson so much that there were many games that were basically over before the kickoff. CU carried such a reputation of toughness, that even if a team got ahead early, they knew and we knew CU would eventually wear them out,... quite demoralizing for our opponents and quite "expected" from our fans.
Have we started down that same path? Certainly want to think so, and the national exposure could have itself served noticed to those on the rest of our schedule that somethin's up in Tiger town!

I agree with you.

Sep 21, 2010, 1:41 PM

I am not one for moral victories, but good things can come out of a loss. If we play the physical football we played on Saturday for the rest of the season, then I think we have as good a chance as anyone in our league of winning the ACC, which is really the most pressing goal at this point.

GO TIGERS! RUN THE TABLE!

great post

Sep 21, 2010, 1:44 PM

any clemson fan who watched the game saturday night had to be ### proud of our tigers for fighting the whole game. Yeah we had a mishap the entire third quarter but we fought. we came in and punched 'em in the mouth. Coach Howard, Coach Ford and anyone else associated with the heart of this program would have appreciated that effort saturday. good things are coming.

Re: great post

Sep 21, 2010, 1:52 PM

I'm glad to see Clemson is playing hard, now we need to play smart and do both for four quarters.

I wanted to say "the same ol tigers" myself, BUT

Sep 21, 2010, 1:54 PM

this team took me from thinking we had little chance of winning early last week, to thinking we should have won Saturday night. We may still come out and lay the stinker and lose to a team we should not, but it isn't because we can't be physical. We can dominate teams again. We can out heart teams again. We can go on the road and play teams that are better or more touted than our team and win. I felt like the teams that I fell in love with in the past made itself known again Saturday in Auburn.

Next Saturday we as fans have a responsibility to show up and be loud. We as fans have to make Death Valley intimidating again. We did a good job of this the last time Miami came to town and had one of the better games in the Valley in 15 years. We came out on the short end of the stick to a good team that day. Now, the Tigers have the talent. Now the Tigers have the ability. Now the tigers have the attitude to beat these teams anywhere we play. The Tigers shouldn't be intimidated when playing any team left on the schedule. If all else fails, the Tigers can punch teams in the mouth and see what the hell they are made of.

No. Hell no, this isn't the same ol Tigers. These are Tigers of old. These are the Tigers that ruled the ACC in the 80s. These are CLEMSON TIGERS, and you #### sure better be ready to play when you line up against these Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler: Same Ole' Clemson?

Sep 21, 2010, 1:58 PM

"I had a Gamecock friend of mine text me Saturday night with the message, “Same ole’ Clemson. Can’t win a close one.”

Looking at close games the past five seasons:

2009: Six games last season were decided by one posession or less, which is 8 points. GT, loss, TCU, loss, Maryland, loss, Miami, win, GT, loss, Kentucky, win.

Record in close games: 2-4

2008: Maryland, loss, GT, loss, Wake Forest, loss, BC, win, Nebraska, loss.

Record: 1-4

2007: FSU, win, BC, loss, SCAR, win, Auburn, loss.

Record: 2-2

2006: BC, loss, FSU, win, Maryland, loss, NC State, win, SCAR, loss, Kentucky, loss.

Record: 2-4

2005: Texas A&M, win, Maryland, win, Miami, loss, BC, loss, Wake, loss, GT, loss, SCAR, win.

Record: 3-4

Overall: 10-18

We do seem to lose more close games than not, but to me that means we are on the verge of turning the corner. I think once we start rattling off two or three close ones in a row, Clemson football will start getting back to where we need to be. The quote above about "can't win a close one is wrong, because we have won ten close ones in five years. I didn't count the Auburn game Saturday night, but if you want, go ahead and make it 10-19. Basically, the past five years we have won a tad better than one-third of one posession games. I see this getting better, and us being on the verge of turning the corner once we get over the close game hump. Hopefully the record will stay at 10-19 the rest of the year, with us beating teams, and it not even being close.

And by the way, Tommy Bowden did not do well in close games, he made poor decisions, like taking Merriweather out against the gamecocks in 2006. Bowden should have won that South Carolina game, and beaten Boston College in 2006 and 2007, as well as Wake and Maryland in 2008. That would make it 15-14.

Great post. I was wondering about these statistics

Sep 21, 2010, 3:17 PM

after the loss on Saturday. The close losses are much harder to take, but we have won our fair share of close games and I expect those (and hopefully one-sided victories) to steadily increase.

Sep 21, 2010, 3:13 PM

Hi,
I am writing you from my Office and I want you to know I agree with you 100%. This is a Good Team!

But I want to comment on Dabo's "Positive" Intense Sideline demeanor. I really enjoy seeing his enthusiasm running up and down the sidelines and his intensity. I love this and we haven't seen this from a Clemson Head Coach in a long time. I like that he talks to the players as they come off the field, either congratulating them or all over them for a mistake. I think this shows that he really does love and care about his players.

It is just great to see his intensity and I think he has inspired that into the team!

I have to watch the game via my ESPN Package but the other night in Auburn, I honestly believe if he found a helmet he would have gone on the field and played a couple of downs.

Clemson won @Miami in OT, so "same 'ol" is wrong. But...

Sep 21, 2010, 3:32 PM

The kids played tough and played their hearts out. And I think that's due in large part to Dabo's attitude and leadership. Huge improvement from the Tommy Bowden years. Huge. But the team also suffered from Dabo's and Napier's inexperience, which is the "same old" thing that I find frustrating.

For example, Dabo/Napier's decision to go for it on 4th and 1 by running Harper into the middle of the defense was a bad call that may have cost the game. Ellington was hot. Harper was not. Harper didn't follow his two lead blockers (both of whom easily got past the 1st down marker) and so Harper got stuffed. If you're going to go for it on 4th and 1, it seems unwise to run Harper into the teeth of the defense when the better of your two RBs (Ellington) was lighting them up (especially off tackle) and on the perimeter. I understand the argument that Harper is bigger, but Ellington was proven to be better.

After calling a good 1st half, I think Napier went conservative and played-not-to-lose in the 3rd quarter, which ultimately cost Clemson the game. He predictably ran up the middle on 1st and 2nd for little gain and then unsuccessfully passed on 3rd and long. So predictable. That let Auburn back in the game.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=302610002&period=3
Hopefully Napier will learn from that experience.

Hopefully the coaches will learn from this experience and recruit a dependable place-kicker. I think Clemson has a place kicker on scholarship who warms the bench because he's unreliable and got beat out by a walk-on, right? I don't get that. It's such a critical part of the game and costs Clemson so many losses. I'm frustrated that the coaches don't seem to make it a priority.

I'm encouraged by the way that Clemson played. If they fix some things and the coaching staff learns from their mistakes, there's no reason that they can't win the rest of their games and build the program in the future. It's definitely not the same old Clemson.

Go Tigers!

One close win does not make a trend****

Sep 21, 2010, 7:32 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson won @Miami in OT, so "same 'ol" is wrong. But...

Sep 21, 2010, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Clemson won @Miami in OT, so "same 'ol" is wrong. But... ]

I couldn't agree more with your post... especially the 4th and 1 when Harper didn't follow his blockers.
You're absolutely right about the play call too, I would have ran an outside toss to Ellington.
All the play calls in the 3rd quarter, as you said, were passive and ultimately cost us the game.

Finally, the place kicker issue... you're telling me that "converted Gamecock" kicker's father played for Clemson and we didn't bother to recruit him?? And Succup (spelling?), that kid was a freakin' stud who punted and kicked and now look where he is... in the NFL. Close games are almost always won or lost by the place kicker. I have faith in Cat Man for now, but there's something wrong when our scholarship kicker is sitting on the bench letting a freshman walk-on do his job.

RECRUIT A KICKER!!!!

Sep 23, 2010, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Clemson won @Miami in OT, so "same 'ol" is wrong. But... ]

Razz, good post. I think inexperience is to be expected, at least at some points in the game. However, Dabo seems to bring an intensity to the Tigers that I haven't seen in quite some time. And I tip my hat to Steele. After the N. Texas game I was a little worried about the defense. Steele seemed to have them ready. Maybe together, he and Dabo will keep the emotions and intensity high during halftime. Oh, and I love Parker, but someone please tell him he doesn't need to lead a wide open receiver, which he did in regulation and overtime. Those hurt, but they just go to show we were inches from winning that game. The defense held Auburn to 52 yards in the 4th quarter and shut them down in overtime. I truly feel this is a new attitude Dabo has brought. I'm all in!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2010, 11:44 PM

.........but was it 31 yards in the 4th and 4 yards in OT?

4th quarter:

12:36 4 2:18 AUB 36 4 -13 Punt
8:12 4 3:54 AUB 16 7 39 Punt
1:23 4 1:23 AUB 13 3 5 End of Half
31 yards

OT:

15:00 OT 0:00 AUB 25 4
Field Goal Good
4 yards

Both the Clemson offense and defense answered in the 4th, after dominating 2 of the first 3 quarters. Dang, you're right, we had em'...and we literally left the game on our fingertips.

Same Ole' Story

Sep 21, 2010, 4:27 PM

I have been reading a version of this story for years, but it always has the same ending--we lose more close ones than we win! Was that twelve in a row to Auburn? We did play hard. So did Auburn. I don't think Auburn is a great team, so I wouldn't take much from the outcome. I truly hope Mickey is right. I will still pull for the team either way. There are some teams we always lose to more than we win. Auburn and Georgia are two examples. So is GT.

It doesn't matter how tough you are if...

Sep 21, 2010, 5:14 PM

you're still not winning...

No one cares how tough you are if you still lose.
8-4 with a tough team,is the same as 8-4 with a...not so tough team.

If we don't win another game we're definitely not on the

Sep 21, 2010, 7:38 PM

way back to Clemson football. However, I think I understand your point. :)

Good blog!

Sep 21, 2010, 9:19 PM

Great post. This echoes my own sentiments from what I took away from the game. This is definitely NOT the same Clemson team that we grew accustomed to in the Bowden era. I do feel the pain of experiencing a heart-breaking loss, but I am very optimistic for the future. I am confident that it will be a long time before I have to hang my head in shame after getting taken behind the wood-shed like we did with losses to the likes of GA and Alabama. These are a few of my own points for why I feel this way:

* I saw a team that was physical and tough as hell, and more important...continued to play that way through pain and fatigue.

* I loved the looks of astonishment and fear on the faces of the Auburn players, coaches, and fans in the first half. It was a program that was totally un-prepared to get smacked around like that in their own house. To their credit, they buttoned-up and met our toughness and intensity.

* For those that said Parker would "candy-a$$" it through the season....yeah right.

* Clemson showed much better play-calling.

* Our running backs are good...real good. Yeah Spiller is gone, but Ellington and Harper have quieted the doomsayers.

* Our defense still needs work, but is vastly improved since fall camp.

* Finally, I love seeing the faces of coot fans this week. The look of fear is already there.

GO TIGERS!

Results are EXACTLY the same as Bowden...

Sep 21, 2010, 10:37 PM

Dabo just has a better personality. I hope the results get better.

No Bowden got blown out by good teams, lost to mediocre ones

Sep 22, 2010, 12:31 PM

Ever since the UMD game last year, when Dabo/Napier had their play-calling argument, and the play-calling improved, Clemson has tended to win against decent and mediocre teams, but lose to ranked/favored teams. Big difference from the tendency of the Bowden years where solid teams like Alabama or Virginia Tech would blow us out in embarrassing fashion, and weak/mediocre teams like Wake, BC, and Kentucky would beat us in close games that we should have never lost.

It's hard to say because Dabo's post-UMD body of work is relatively small. But it seems different to me. I mean in year one, Dabo won the Atlantic-- which is something Bowden didn't do in a decade. It's not conclusive. We'll see.

the results were the same!

Sep 22, 2010, 1:16 AM

so what if Clemson is more physical? we still had a team down for the count, and let them back up. it happened under Bowden, and it's happened under Dabo. the same song sung by different singers is still the same song. i don't see how things are different....yet.

Sep 22, 2010, 8:50 PM

Remember what Dabo said before....there are 4 quarters to a football game...It IS the coach's job to keep them from getting big heads at halftime..My take to them would be...run up the score if you can...keep this train a runnin!.The third quarter was , granted, good adjustments on Auburns part...but our Defense if much better than being fooled for a whole quarter!.Unacceptabble.

Yes, next question?***

Oct 15, 2010, 3:49 PM

Ole'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Oct 15, 2010, 3:52 PM

I love you Mickey.***

Dec 6, 2010, 3:01 PM

you're right... you're weren't paying attention...

Dec 6, 2010, 3:08 PM

we were downright awful.

the same ol' Clemson would have went 8-4 this season... not 6-6

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic