Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson chases sound record versus the 'Noles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson chases sound record versus the 'Noles

Oct 16, 2013, 4:52 PM

Clemson chases sound record versus the 'Noles

The current Guinness World Record of 137.5 decibels was set just last week at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, but Clemson officials hope to break that record this weekend in Death Valley when 5th-ranked Florida St. comes to visit? What was the thought process behind the attempt? How loud did it get against Georgia? Photo by Denny Medley / US PRESSWIRE Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope they leave the mics on when Jameis throws a pick six

Oct 16, 2013, 4:56 PM

The place will come unglued in a way you can't just create or ask for.

Decibel level only got into the 120's vs UGA

Oct 16, 2013, 4:57 PM

and we saw how that effected Murray. 130's is going to make Jameies ears bleed. Let's shatter the muthatruckin record!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miami in 2005 was insane...

Oct 16, 2013, 4:57 PM

...on our last defensive stand in regulation. Have NEVER, EVER heard Death Valley like that. Wasn't like that the entire game, but for that drive it was ear-splitting.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in the student section for that game

Oct 16, 2013, 5:04 PM

And it was the first time that I've actually been worried about the health of my ears. I thought they were going to start bleeding.

Re: I was in the student section for that game

Oct 16, 2013, 5:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtTGRMv1DmM. Especially third down 2:30 of the video to the end. Announcer: "This part of South Carolina is a bout to shift. It's moving up here. If I didn't have two earpieces in my ears I wouldn't hear you or myself."

I believe I was near the front of the student section for this one too, my vote goes here.

Easily the loudest game I've ever been a part of. Miami '05***

Oct 16, 2013, 5:25 PM

no doubt! the only time my ears hurt from the noise!

Oct 16, 2013, 5:55 PM

my friend and i could not even communicate right next to each other, even screaming at the top of our lungs

Re: I was in the student section for that game

Oct 16, 2013, 11:02 PM [ in reply to I was in the student section for that game ]

It was very loud. I was really worried about the effect it had on my ear drums, and not the Medicine drum FSU uses either. I could barley hear the radio in my truck listening to the post game interviews.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know that it can get any louder than that***

Oct 16, 2013, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loudest I've ever heard Death Valley

Oct 16, 2013, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

And i started going to games before the north ud was complete. So i can say Miami 2005 was in fact the loudest (for 3 plays and 1 in particular), that I have ever heard death valley. I'm pretty sure that one play with the sack on 3rd down vs Miami in 2005 would have set the record.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% agree - Miami '05 was nuts

Oct 16, 2013, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

I was screaming and clapping in the student section and actually had to cover up my ears. Seriously felt like there was going to be permanent damage of some kind. I've been next to jet engines and never felt like my eardrums were going to burst like that day!

I couldn't hear myself screaming or the drums

Oct 16, 2013, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

(I was in the drumline at the time) being beat at all during that series.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Miami in 2005 was insane...

Oct 16, 2013, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

> ...on our last defensive stand in regulation. Have
> NEVER, EVER heard Death Valley like that. Wasn't
> like that the entire game, but for that drive it was
> ear-splitting.

Was that the triple overtime game? If so I was there for that and it was so loud. I sure wish we could have won that game!

If Miami was mid to upper 120s though, at least whenever it

Oct 16, 2013, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

was recorded during that game, not sure how place is going to be able to bump up to upper 130s. Not sure this whole thing was well thought through by our marketing dept. within the athletic dept.

I agree......

Oct 16, 2013, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

I've seen nearly every game in DV since 1979 and the 3rd down play on that series was as loud as I've ever heard.

My ears were ringing for days after the Miami game

Oct 16, 2013, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

If we can get that loud, we'll get the record. Everyone needs to bring the hearing protection!

No, if we get that loud, we are still 10 db under the record***

Oct 16, 2013, 11:07 PM

GO TIGERS

I don't know how official that is...

Oct 18, 2013, 3:17 PM

because it was freaking loud! I can't imagine KC being 10 decibels louder than that.

I yelled at the top of my lungs

Oct 16, 2013, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

and it was like I made no sound at all.

And I can yell REALLY loud.

Not to be a pessimist but I don't see how it can get any

Oct 16, 2013, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

louder than that. That last Miami drive in regulation was aboslutely deafening. And the fans only got so loud because Clemson desperately needed to get Miami off the field so we'd have a chance to either tie or win the game...

Heck, I saw little old ladies who never once cheered, standing up screaming. I hope we can set the record, but 10 db above the Miami game is a LOT... and also possibly not safe either

GO TIGERS

Agree. This was not a well thought out idea.***

Oct 17, 2013, 7:45 AM

Miami game was a 3:30 game

Oct 17, 2013, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Not to be a pessimist but I don't see how it can get any ]

Saturday's game is @ 8, meaning 4 1/2 more hours for some of our louder fans to get drunk.

If that Miami game was 10 db below the record, I say no way

Oct 17, 2013, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Not to be a pessimist but I don't see how it can get any ]

do we break the record. That was deafening. Even in the upper deck I could not believe how loud it was.

null

Miami 05 was so loud I could see the air shake***

Oct 18, 2013, 5:06 AM [ in reply to Miami in 2005 was insane... ]

Well, he's certainly put us out there on a limb.***

Oct 16, 2013, 5:09 PM

Ya might wanta think about...

Oct 16, 2013, 5:11 PM

... wearing a set of really good ear plugs. Noise levels even in the "low" 120 decibel range can damage hearing in less than 30 seconds. There is no cure for hearing loss. Signed: An old guy who already wears hearing aids. (At least I lost my hearing flying jets...)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, if we beat 137.5 db then many will have permanent

Oct 16, 2013, 5:48 PM

hearing loss with immediate pain. That is a very dangerous level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, if we beat 137.5 db then many will have permanent

Oct 16, 2013, 11:04 PM

If we are planning on setting the record, you better have ear plugs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just imagine how loud it would be If DV was bowled in..

Oct 18, 2013, 6:12 AM [ in reply to Yes, if we beat 137.5 db then many will have permanent ]

around with no place for sound to escape!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't wait to meet Emanuel Lewis....

Oct 16, 2013, 5:54 PM

Sorry, had to make a Southpark reference

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget about Clemson/FSU in 2007 on Labor Day night...

Oct 16, 2013, 6:42 PM

That was one of the loudest games I've ever been to - my ears rang for a few hours after that game.

Wasn't at Miami '05

Oct 17, 2013, 7:37 AM

but was at the FSU '07. You could feel the noise then. If '05 was louder then that would be scary!

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Yep. 05 Miami was it.***

Oct 16, 2013, 6:47 PM

Yep***

Oct 16, 2013, 7:45 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Clemson chases sound record versus the 'Noles

Oct 16, 2013, 6:53 PM

Please have the athletic department run this by risk management extraordinaire, Dave Frock (formally known as "executive" director of campus recreation) before implementing such a noise plan. Frock is an expert in acknowledging risky situations and is a borderline savant at identifying and mitigating these said conditions.

Make his ears bleed and wipe that smirk off his face....

Oct 16, 2013, 7:20 PM

Thanks Cigarette, you just got the Tiger Nation ready.

Screw Calford.

Oct 16, 2013, 7:33 PM

dB doesn't mean shitw/o distance

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Hearing Conservation

Oct 16, 2013, 7:36 PM

As an audiologist who diagnoses hearing loss on a daily basis, I would strongly advise Clemson officials to make the attendants aware of what may be attempted regarding breaking any sound level record. We're talking potential serious damage to hearing in adults and children. The sensory hair cells in the inner ear that would be damaged will not heal. Birds and fish can regrow these cells, but mammals cannot. Everyone in attendance should be wearing hearing protection anyway. Yep... I'm that dude wearing plugs to football games. Nobody wants to look like a dork with ear plugs/muffs, but please believe me when I say you don't want irreversible hearing damage either. Feel free to ask my patients with cochlear implants what it's like to slowly lose your hearing. Just saying...

I think this is accurate...

Oct 16, 2013, 7:58 PM

Was at that Miami game as well - and don't have good ears anyway - but my hearing literally shut off - it was so loud that when it reached a certain point of volume, bam, just a total block out except a very small amount. I almost had to leave - hurt like hell.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and i am about legal deaf now.

Oct 16, 2013, 8:00 PM

course that could have been the tractors, shotguns, and rock and roll.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Several come to mind

Oct 16, 2013, 8:14 PM

SCAR 1996
FSU 1992
FSU 2003
FSU 2007

But nothing top Miami 05, I remember watching the Miami QB look helpless it was so loud.

Re: Several come to mind

Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 PM

Definitely FSU 1992!!

I hope they have a meter set up to show on the big screen

Oct 16, 2013, 8:17 PM

and TV

Not on t.v. Maybe in the stadium at times or something but

Oct 16, 2013, 9:07 PM

hope not on t.v. I don't want to start monitoring decibel levels to take away from the game.

I'm not so sure- Having potential recruits also see that not

Oct 16, 2013, 9:29 PM

only are we the best tradition but also the loudest. Recruits want bells and whistles, high-flyin game play, and the most notoriety. Mom and dad want the best education, best moral integrity, and the best class of a man for their kid. I see it as nothing but a positive from all perspectives.

Not if we don't get it.***

Oct 16, 2013, 9:51 PM

We've done it before...and without feedback as to how close

Oct 16, 2013, 10:11 PM

we were in reaching it. We'd do it since its already been done by us 'cept this time every human on earth will see it happen...officially

We reached 126 once and set a temporary college

Oct 16, 2013, 11:01 PM

record for loudest stadium. We (as far as I know) Haven't come close to 137 db, and that's a huge difference. Not to be pessimistic, but it's going to take a lot more noise than we usually produce to approach that.

Not saying we can't do it, but it just seems like against Miami (when we reached 126) and other times, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to get *quite* to those extreme levels of noise unless we are fighting back late in the game and desperately need a stop.

GO TIGERS

I thought ours was mid 130's. I stand corrected then***

Oct 16, 2013, 11:08 PM

If the stinkin' KC Chiefs can do it, why can't we?

Oct 17, 2013, 1:59 PM [ in reply to We reached 126 once and set a temporary college ]

Now, where are my ear plugs........??

:)

The death of a hair cell

Oct 16, 2013, 8:55 PM

The snail shell shaped inner ear is about the size of a pencil eraser. Inside there are thousands of tiny little hair cells that are tuned to a specific frequency. Higher frequencies are at the opening (base) of the cochlea and it gets lower as you go deeper inside. We hear from 20Hz to 20kHz. The first turn of the cochlea, 3-6 kHz region, is most susceptible to noise as the pressure wave of sound has a straight shot until then. Massive shearing takes place at this turn as the tectorial membrane and basilar membrane move so violently that they tear the hair cell cilia that are strung between the two. Instant hearing loss. You'll have a temporary threshold shift for 24-48 hours where you won't hear as well and your ears will likely ring. As the inner ear recovers from the acoustic trauma, the damaged cilia will not grow back. Now you have permanent hearing loss.

Adults should feel free to subject themselves to this if they want to, but they need to consider the children in attendance who have no choice in the matter.

this game ain't not place for the chillrens....

Oct 16, 2013, 9:22 PM

;)

Photobucket

Just bought earplugs for the little old lady in front of me,

Oct 16, 2013, 10:50 PM [ in reply to The death of a hair cell ]

she appears to uncomfortable with my volume. Not sure why she comes to the game.

I've had hearing aids since

Oct 16, 2013, 9:24 PM

My early 20's...protect your ears, losing your hearing is no joke.

CenturyLink Field, Capacity = 67,000 Arrowhead Stadium Capacity = 79,451 Death Valley Capacity = 81,500 Yeah, we got this...!

Oct 16, 2013, 11:19 PM

CenturyLink Field, Capacity = 67,000
Arrowhead Stadium Capacity = 79,451
Death Valley Capacity = 81,500
Yeah, we got this...!

Oct 17, 2013, 12:58 AM

I remember back in the late 70's when Notre Dame came to town. Coach Dan Devine was rumored to have talked to the commish about keeping the noise down at Death Valley. The plan was set at the pep rally the night before, everyone was to "air clap their hands to the marching band as they pretended to play, only to hear the tapping of the drum rims. The stadium was too quiet. When the Tigers ran down the hill it was so loud you couldn't hear the cannon fire.

Re: Miami Game Noise Level

Oct 17, 2013, 8:03 AM

No way the Miami game was not the loudest ever, anywhere. I am sad there were no decibel measuring devices used to prove it. Not sure if the new layout of the stadium and the improvements to Death Valley will let us get there again, but it will be awesome on Saturday Night!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2013, 8:16 AM

So were there noisemakers in Arrowhead stadium when they hit 137 or was that just people yelling?

Oct 17, 2013, 9:12 PM

If you're not making noise at this game you need to sell your tickets, stay home and golf clap for Miley Cyrus.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic