Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Methodists Love to Sing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Methodists Love to Sing

Jan 15, 2018, 8:00 PM

Methodists love to sing but certain restrictions may apply. We don't particularly like a new hymn because many of us cannot read music. We liked the hymns we learned as a child. We knew every word and we didn't even have to open the hymnal. In fact, we knew the page number of a particular hymn before we learned to read. I suppose that was just a part of growing up in a Methodist family.

I grew up in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in a small town in Florida. The merger of several branches of Methodists had not yet occurred. When I return to my former home town, it is no longer considered a small town because it now has a McDonalds, Dollar General, several pizza joints and 10,000 residents. In the 1920's and 30's, the population was about 1,000 but we had to count all of the farmers who were in town to shop. Everyone knew everyone else, which made it real "homey", but if you committed a sin everyone in town was aware of it within 27 minutes flat.

The Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian Churches were located on the same street and within three blocks of each other. The Presbyterian congregation was small and had services twice each month. On those Sundays when they had no service, most came to the Methodist Church. We called them Half-Methodists but they could sing like a full blooded Methodist. And sing, they did.

On the wall of the sanctuary of the Methodist Church was a bulletin board which listed the page number of the hymns to be sung during the service. We sang the same hymn so often everyone knew the hymn without looking in the hymnal. There must have been a mandatory rule that the same type bulletin board had to be posted in every church. At least it seemed to be because every church I visited had one. The Methodist Publishing House, or whatever the source of the board, must have made a fortune in sales. Sometimes the bulletin board contained other information such as Sunday School or church attendance and the amount of money contributed the previous Sunday. Most Methodist Churches did not include the amount contributed the previous Sunday. In later years I discovered Methodist talents always seemed bent toward singing and making casseroles for church suppers rather than giving generously when the offering plate was passed. Perhaps, some of those churches were too embarrassed to post to report the amount of money received in the offering plate.

There were always a few members who could really sing and either volunteered or were drafted to sing in the choir, but the talent level of those sitting in the pews was difficult to describe. Nevertheless, they didn't hesitate to voice their lack of vocal training. The voices were so different it was if we could call the roll by listening to their singing. Sometimes on Wednesday night we had a "songfest" and members could request their favorite hymn. Most of us young boys knew the favorite hymn of most members and we called them Mr. 357 or Mrs. 291.

There must have been a rule in the Methodist Book of Discipline about the number of verses we were to sing with each hymn. "We'll sing the first two and last verses of Hymn No. 452". The hymn may have only three verses and sometimes only two, but the rule held. Every hymn was concluded by AMEN and we had to stretch out the Amen until everyone could catch up and end at the same time.

Most Methodist ministers, when leaving a church for a new assignment may give the incoming minister a few suggestions. Probably the most important admonition would be to never ever introduce n unfamiliar hymn until it has been approved the Administrative Board and discussed at the Quarterly Conference.
I've seen newly assigned ministers attempt to introduce n unfamiliar hymn with mixed results. If the page number is posted on the Bulletin Board the congregation will know immediately it is not an old familiar hymn. Oh, sometimes the congregation liked the new hymn, particularly if the non singers would follow with a decent hum. If some of the older men started patting their feet in cadence, we knew the hymn was acceptable. But when the hymnal was slammed shut half way through the first verse, the Minister had lost his congregation. He might as well say AMEN and dismiss the worshipers. I always associated a closed hymnal as a closed mind nd the devil had already sneaked in the back door sporting a big grin.

Methodists are as varied as the weather but their one thing in common is their love for singing. The Methodist in Wales are noted for their beautiful choirs, be they small or large. No matter where one travels in the UK, tapes of their music will be found in every music store. Even o choir of 12 will sound as if one is hearing the voices of dozens.

Over the years we Methodists have gradually been introduced to more and more beautiful hymns. No longer do we close the hymnal when we are introduced to a new hymn. We have discovered that between the first and last pages of the Methodist Hymnal, not only do we find beautiful music, we also find words that define our faith and offer us comfort.

And from the congregation., I hear a loud AMEN !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JoE..you write so great & your sentence structure & paragraphs are immaculate!

Jan 15, 2018, 8:17 PM

Saying..Hartins was Editor of the Clemson Student News Paper The TiGER and as such would have loved having You Sir on Staff!

Oh, at age 96 or so i wonder how long your parents lived.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thumbs up from another United Methodist. May the

Jan 15, 2018, 8:40 PM

Force be with you! ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Methodists Love to Sing

Jan 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

Joe you need to add to your bucket list attending Indian Fields Campground meeting down in St. George, SC. A week of preaching and eating since 1848.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2018, 10:06 PM

That is a wonderful place. My dad preached there once during the camp meeting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2018, 9:17 PM

Thank you Joe for sharing your wonderful tales with us! Really took me back! I know both of my grandmothers' churches had those same boards with the hymn numbers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, thank you for this. My dad and father-in-law were

Jan 15, 2018, 10:10 PM

Methodist ministers in SC. This was spot on! It took me back to the small churches we were in growing up. My memory is that the Cokesbury hymnal was considered almost as important as the good book.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2018, 9:17 AM

Joe, I had no idea that you were in my church all those years I was growing up!! I sent your story to my siblings and asked them if it brought back any memories from the 50s and 60s! Thanks for sharing!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s the problem with too many divisions...

Jan 16, 2018, 9:33 AM

get caught up in little things that mean nothing. I had two extremes growing up. First ten years was German Lutheran, next 7 were at a church that was Southern Baptist with Presbyterian influences. Lutherans always had much less drama and judgemental attitudes than the Calvinists.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic