Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN for FOX
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN for FOX

Apr 27, 2016, 12:36 PM

ESPN is losing folks left and right. The only guy they seemed to be able to keep once their contract was up was Steven A. Smith last year. He re-upped at $3M/yr (I didn't realize he made that much).
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/sports/skip-bayless-is-leaving-espn.html?_r=0

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fox must be slinging serious cash

Apr 27, 2016, 12:40 PM

ESPN doesn't have much to spend with all of the sports contracts they signed.

It probably helps that they are not politically correct to

Apr 27, 2016, 12:56 PM

the point of firing any of their employees as soon as a few whiners get offended, like slimy ESPN.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not true at all

Apr 27, 2016, 3:56 PM

certain people can say whatever they want, there's a huge double-standard. They would've never touched Cowherd or Bayless for anything they said.

Meter not working.

Apr 27, 2016, 5:34 PM

ESPN fired Cowherd for offensive comments towards Dominican rep.

Re: Meter not working.

Apr 27, 2016, 5:55 PM

Cowherd had already announced he was leaving ESPN anyway.Skip Bayless sucks; I dont know why fox wants him. He is the quintessential stir the pot on purpose guy.

He and Screamin Stephen are different sides of the same coin***

Apr 27, 2016, 6:17 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's wrong, Cowterd left on his own...

Apr 27, 2016, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Meter not working. ]

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/colin-cowherd-explains-why-he-left-espn

When he got suspended and before the comments he made about DR, he had already signed on to FOX and the news about that was already out.

“People ask me, ‘What’s it like to leave ESPN?’ and I say, ‘I’m not leaving ESPN. I’m leaving ESPNU.’ That’s what I was on. That network doesn’t even have a sales staff. Now, I’m going to be on Fox. I’m going to be front and center. I’m going to be on bigger projects. I’m going to be promoted. It’s not about being on television…. The culture at ESPN, I found when I left, isn’t the same as when I came. It wasn’t as much fun.”

So basically Cowherd left because he wanted more promotion and he was tired of the ESPN work environment.

I stand corrected.***

Apr 27, 2016, 6:20 PM

oh yeah, wanted to apologize for construing your statements

Apr 27, 2016, 6:31 PM

in the wrong manner, and using the wrong terminology or words in my response to you about a week or two ago.

Re: oh yeah, wanted to apologize for construing your statements

Apr 28, 2016, 1:51 PM

Well it takes an honorable person to come out and publicly say such things. So I will check my behavior toward you from now on and I withdraw all of my insults that I previously made.

Go Tigers.

Dickless and Cowterd said anything they wanted to without...

Apr 27, 2016, 6:12 PM [ in reply to That's not true at all ]

ESPN doing a thing.

All those PTI shows and Dan le Batard shows are a giant wste

Apr 27, 2016, 1:18 PM

of time anyways..who watches or listens to that crap? Ive tried but its too gimmicky and scripted for me to enjoy. I hate the talking point/counter talking point crap and someone plays the role of the protagonist and antagonist. Its so unoriginal and tired. Why skip bayless and Stephen a smith are taken seriously is beyond me. I put these clowns in the same category as Jim Rome

Re: All those PTI shows and Dan le Batard shows are a giant wste

Apr 27, 2016, 1:36 PM

I agree. Smith is a blowhard race baiter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You haven't watched LeBatard if you think he's a

Apr 27, 2016, 2:28 PM [ in reply to All those PTI shows and Dan le Batard shows are a giant wste ]

point/counterpoint guy. He and Bomani Jones do a fantastic job of pointing out both the joy and the absurdity of sports. I'm actually amazed ESPN lets them do everything they do (particularly on LeBatard's morning show). And the interview segments on Highly Questionable are fantastic. For instance, the one he did with Clemson's own Shaq Lawson was very revealing. It's clear that LeBatard wants his guests to have room to talk and express themselves rather than trying to be the focal point himself.

I heard that ESPN offered Bayliss $4M/year to stay on.

Apr 27, 2016, 1:47 PM

I guess Fox was willing to pay more. Bayless is a no talent hack that just stirs the pot with hot takes and controversial opinions. He appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I've come to the sad realization over the years that the majority of sports fans don't actually want to listen to anyone with real knowledge and insight. Just look at two of ESPN's premier shows, Mike and Mike and First Take. Mike and Mike just read ads and recap the previous day's news for a few hours. They offer almost nothing of value themselves. Skip Bayless and Stephen A are even worse. They are just a couple of trolls that like to stir the pot to get attention.

Why didn't I Know that Mike Tirico is also leaving

Apr 27, 2016, 2:30 PM

ESPN? I guess rats are jumping off the water downed ship?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand that it is difficult, but if you listen closely

Apr 27, 2016, 3:22 PM

Stephan A. is more reasonable, makes more logical arguments and is really harder on athletes especially black athletes. He has his agenda on getting more blacks to front office positions .... but sets high standards for all athletes and believes in appropriate consequences.

Skip is simply CLUELESS ... most positions are based on emotion and perception.

Re: Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN he sucked anyway***

Apr 27, 2016, 4:35 PM

Re: Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN for FOX

Apr 27, 2016, 4:39 PM

He is a numb nut so why would fox want him

I don't particularly like any of those guys, but

Apr 27, 2016, 6:01 PM

anything that makes ESPN squirm makes me happy

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, anything that forces ESPN to change or if they don't

Apr 27, 2016, 6:30 PM

change watching them to continue to fail.

I wish Skip Dickless would just disappear...

Apr 27, 2016, 6:10 PM

him and Screamin Stephen A Smith are both equally annoying.

Eventually there will be a complete restructure of ESPN...

Apr 27, 2016, 6:27 PM

They got too many broadcast agreements with too may leagues. They got the deals they have with all the different college conferences, NBA, MLB, MLS, Premier League soccer, Monday Night Football, and the college football playoff. They just signed too many deals that they couldn't handle. Also, they become extremely oversized in the staff they hired. Perfect example is all the hacks they hire (especially their online writers and on air talent), whose only previous background was writing puff pieces about local teams and players in a local paper with low circulation. Brian Windhorst is the penultimate example of a local hack they have hired. Windhorst only claim to fame, before ESPN, is being the local beat writer in Cleveland that followed Lebron when he was in middle school and high school. A majority of his articles and on screen commentary is nothing but love letters to Lebron. And South Carolina's own Travis Haney is another good example of a hack they have hired.

Re: Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN for FOX

Apr 28, 2016, 12:51 AM

Well, that's a step in the right direction, but I'd be more enthusiastic if he'd decided to the planet.

Supposedly Bayless is getting 5 million per from Fox.**

Apr 28, 2016, 2:44 PM

nm

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic