Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mentioned some College FB Players couldn’t get into college..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,300

Mentioned some College FB Players couldn’t get into college..

Aug 3, 2020, 11:13 PM

with their high school grades unless tutored or admissions lowered or deals made.

What do you say, know, or think?

Would that be a pretty accurate statement?

I’m not sure since I don’t know.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please stop

Aug 3, 2020, 11:47 PM

Please stop, for fuck's sake.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mentioned some College FB Players couldn’t get into college..

Aug 4, 2020, 8:30 AM

Obviously. This isn't some shocking thing. You can be NCAA eligible with a 2.3 weighted GPA and a 900 SAT. Clemson's average weighted GPA is 4.43 and SAT is 1320. How many players do you think had those numbers? And then every year we see NFL players (many of whom are supposed college graduates) get poor wonderlic scores. Lamar Jackson got a 13. Vince Young got a 6. We've had our share of lower than average scores too. The average American should get a 20, with the average college graduate getting about a 26.

Now, I don't think any IQ test is a good judge of intelligence, especially one like the wonderlic. And I don't think the average football player is less intelligent than the average American when you consider them holistically. But college admissions is not a holistic process. It focuses on academics and test scores. And I think it pretty clear a lot of football players would not gain admission were they not highly-demanded athletes.

But that's why I tend to support college athletics. A lot of kids in poor communities do not realize the value of an education (I didn't). And a couple low grades when you're 14 can keep you out of college because of the emphasis on numbers. Fewer than 2% of college players go pro, and the NCAA gives those players a free education (that other students often go into 6 figures of debt for) and lets them get around those rigid admissions requirements, if they wouldn't have gotten in otherwise. I always thought that was a pretty good deal in exchange for playing a sport for a school, though people now disagree (I'm also really concerned that this "athletes are employees" mindset is going to end up destroying less profitable athletics).

Aug 4, 2020, 8:49 AM

Great post D.O.
Interesting, logical, and fair info.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 8:36 AM

See UNC for an 18 year long case study.

I forget the receiver, but their was a kid during the Bowden days that was rejected at Clemson for academic concerns. He then turn around and went/played for UNC. Caused a big kerfuffle with the admittance process and review. Now we know but this was early mid 00s so we did not know the extent of the UNC cheat. Does anyone remember that or is my mind making that up?

Clemson had an academic review board that gained some

Aug 4, 2020, 8:43 AM

notoriety because they rejected some players right before signing day (uncool because then they couldn't find somewhere else to go).

I think these players actually qualified for the minimum requirements to get in - so I wouldn't say that UNC cheated when they took him. (I know there was also a running back who went to Marshall.) But it was a good time to start questioning "The Carolina Way"...as they always complained that Clemson used players that they wouldn't allow into UNC because of academics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson had an academic review board that gained some

Aug 4, 2020, 8:54 AM

Yeah, I remember that and I think this this UNC kid was the final straw that forced some changes on that front.

The guy that went to UNC - Dwight Jones .***

Aug 4, 2020, 12:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're spreading the fake news again LbB***

Aug 4, 2020, 8:42 AM

Aug 4, 2020, 9:50 AM

Good question the answer is no the majority would not get in sorry just the facts. I’m afraid we’re seeing the end of college sports. My daughter and her husband both had college loans to pay off and. Ok I don’t think we should pay them. With the average cost of scholarships there getting well compensated. Most people would line up for a deal like this but entitlement runs deeps now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 4:32 PM

Where are your facts to back up your claim that the majority would not get in? ??

tua tagovailoa wonderlic score was 13

Aug 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

That’s why he had a really hard time with Brent Venables defense.

He was thinking Golf.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Aug 4, 2020, 4:43 PM

I don't know about their grades or test scores re entrance requirements but the players Dabo and staff recruit to Clemson seem to do very swell in the class room. I realize they have tutoring services but even with tutoring services one needs the basic desire and background to succeed.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,300
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic