Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the SEC could change their pompous attitude, then ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

If the SEC could change their pompous attitude, then ...

May 8, 2012, 10:43 AM

FSU and CLEMSON would be the next 2 teams in that conference. I hate that the SEC is so hung up on the TV markets, etc that cause them to want to exclude 2 fantastic programs like we offer. The new rivalries, close proximity to opponents, the fanbases, etc make FSU and CLEMSON highly desirable to ANY conference. No - not those dumdazzes in the SEC that get to make these decisions. They can't see squat for their ignorance. Inviting A&M and Mizzou over CLEMSON and FSU was ignorant enough, but to continue to exclude us is bordering on insanity IMO. I want to just walk up and slap some sense into those ignorant fools. And they get paid to make these decisions???? Geez - how does one get those jobs??

rant over - lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well to be fair, they seem to have been very successful

May 8, 2012, 10:47 AM

with the model they have been using

Re: If the SEC could change their pompous attitude, then ...

May 8, 2012, 10:47 AM

have to agree on A&M and Mizzou making no sense - since they are not in the southeast - maybe they change the name of the sec, since it is no longer southeast

You got to remember that college football is

May 8, 2012, 10:51 AM

all about the money and not about the fans

Re: You got to remember that college football is

May 8, 2012, 10:56 AM

They might just better start thinking about the fans. Fans are the reason they are getting paid what their getting. Without fan support, those TV deals mean nothing, ZERO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, yeah...they're really struggling with fan support.

May 8, 2012, 11:00 AM

LOL

Re: You got to remember that college football is

May 8, 2012, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: You got to remember that college football is ]

SEC fans are pretty sold on whatever the conference does. Its worked so far.

They seem to have forgotten.......

May 8, 2012, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: You got to remember that college football is ]

the whole point. Fans bring the money. If nobody is watching, where is the money gonna come from? You need to ALWAYS listen to what the fans are saying. Right or wrong they drive the market.

But the fans already watch. The ratings for SEC football are

May 8, 2012, 11:25 AM

through the roof. And the SEC has just added 2 HUGE markets in the states of Texas and Missouri.

Good business decisions = pompous?

May 8, 2012, 10:52 AM

Or not doing what is best for Clemson and FSU = pompous?

Money drives the expansion conversation

May 8, 2012, 10:53 AM

Thus A&M and Mizzou. However, if they are looking to improve their bran then FSU and Clemson are the best choices. Don't forget that UF and SC were blocking us being invited in the first place. However, with the new arrivals they no longer have the power to do anything if the SEC reaches out to us.

Unlike SC we actually want to play the big dogs.

hey CBS/ESPN, would the nation rather watch

May 8, 2012, 10:57 AM

Missouri-Alabama or FSU-Alabama?

Texas A+M-UGA or Clemson-UGA?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The nation could care less about watching a game unless

May 8, 2012, 11:15 AM

it pits a team(s) they have a vested interest in OR it matches 2 elite (Top 10) programs. Do you really think that someone, for example, in Fargo, North Dakota is looking forward to watching clemson play Georgia next year?

Re: The nation could care less about watching a game unless

May 8, 2012, 1:12 PM

some, probably more than U think and maybe less than I think

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The nation could care less about watching a game unless

May 8, 2012, 1:16 PM

But not enough to justify bringing clemson in.

Re: hey CBS/ESPN, would the nation rather watch

May 8, 2012, 11:27 AM [ in reply to hey CBS/ESPN, would the nation rather watch ]

I think the vast majority of the country would rather see A&M over Clemson.

I would say the vast majority don't care about either

May 8, 2012, 11:47 AM

now that traditional rivalries are all but dead, the fans are looking for the best game out there.

ND/Michigan used to be a big broadcast for any number of reasons. It doesn't drive ratings at all.

Re: Money drives the expansion conversation

May 8, 2012, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Money drives the expansion conversation ]

SC does play the big dogs. Meanwhile this board is busy debating which is the easiest path to the national title game.

Please read my comment again

May 8, 2012, 12:46 PM

I said that we WANT to play the big dogs. All I hear from SC fans is "why do we have to play LSU and Ark while UGA has an easy scheudle. It's not fair!"

Then you take into account that your coach wants to change rules that have been in affect for years simply becuase they would have favored you this past year and it looks to all outside of SC like you love to talk about being in the SEC but don't want to play the big dogs in the SEC.

Re: Money drives the expansion conversation

May 8, 2012, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Money drives the expansion conversation ]

Really? I read fans on hear prefering to stay in the ACC because it is an easier path. As far as Carolina is concerned, I'm not aware of anyone wanting to leave the conference because it's the toughest in the nation.

Never said you wanted to leave the SEC

May 8, 2012, 12:49 PM

but I've certianly seen and heard enough of your fans upset that oyu have to play LSU and Ark especailly all the time.

Add in that your school was talking about changing rules that have been in affect for years just so that they could benefit you the last year shows that your fanbase for wahtever reason is happy to be in the SEC but not happy that they have to play the best in the SEC.

Also, the Clemson fans you saw that posted those aren't true Clemson fans. I care nothing about beating bad teams. To be the best oyu have to play and beat the best.

Re: Never said you wanted to leave the SEC

May 8, 2012, 1:15 PM

There are some who are ticked off not because we have to play LSU this year. They are ticked off because they feel that UGA is being given a free ride. Not me. Beat who you have to play. Besides, UGA will be playing LSU and/or Alabama soon, whereas we won't. As far as Arkansas, people were mixed about playing them or Texas A&M. Petrino seemed to have our number. I would say the same thing you say. Those complaining are not true Carolina fans.That was Spurrier who said that in the future that division games should count more. But he did not say anything about playing or not playing so and so.

May 8, 2012, 11:11 AM

Adding 2 state-wide institutions in Texas A&M and Missouri increases the SEC footprint by 62%. That's a lot to ignore. I'm not sure what is meant by "brand". But academic-wise, both Texas A&M and Missouri are among the best schools in the nation. But of course, conferences do not truly get together because of academics. Football-wise, Texas A&M has a great history. Missouri does not have as good of a history as Texas A&M. But they have been to nearly as many football bowls as clemson. I know people here think clemson is a "national name brand" football program. However, clemson has not finished among the nation's elite in the Top 10 since 1990. Furthermore, clemson has not put together 2 straight Top 25 teams since 1990-1991. Now, Florida State is significantly closer to being a "national name brand" football program than clemson. Unfortunately for them, the Florida Gators deliver the Florida market. Gator fans will watch Florida on TV wanting to watch them win. Seminole fans and Hurricane fans will watch them on TV wanting to see them lose. As far as geography is concerned, that went out the window when Penn State entered the Big 10, 2 decades ago. And Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado do not border on the Pacific. It's all about money.

You're obviously not a businessman if you don't understand..

May 8, 2012, 11:13 AM

what drives their decisions and plans. The TV market is everything to every conference - especially in football. It takes major money to run a school's athletic program. Also, the exposure is what can make a major difference in recruiting.

Having us in the SEC doesn't do anything for them as far as TV markets because we're pretty much surrounded by SEC schools already.

May 8, 2012, 11:32 AM

Putting the rivalary aside, you have to understand South Carolina and Florida DO NOT want you guys in the SEC for many reasons. We can use the "SEC" label to recruit. We don't have to split revenue with an instate rival. We are becoming rich and building new everything around our campus. Why would we want you in? I don't blame you for wanting out of the ACC, but you have to understand why we don't want you. The only bonus for the ACC now is the playoff system. I think it's an easier path to the playoffs being in the ACC. Win the league and you have a great chance on being in. Plus, you know the playoff will expand to 8 teams eventually which means winning the ACC will guarantee you a spot. It's not a "pompous attitude" it's a business.

I would like FSU/UF, CU/SC, CU/UGA conf. games.***

May 8, 2012, 11:41 AM

Me too. But from their standpoint, there's nothing in it for

May 8, 2012, 11:45 AM

them. It would help us much, much more than them. In fact, it would hurt them.

Re: Me too. But from their standpoint, there's nothing in it for

May 8, 2012, 11:47 AM

Absolutely true. It's a business and it would hurt us big time if clemson joined.

At least you (and UF) admit its fear of competition

May 8, 2012, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC could change their pompous attitude, then ... ]

and not just conference business reasons.

Re: At least you (and UF) admit its fear of competition

May 8, 2012, 12:16 PM

Yeah I admit it. So? Just like the majority of your fans that can see straight know that we aren't the old coots and these days of beating us 4 every 5 years are over. So many of your fans say that once Spurrier retires we'll be right back at the bottom. Really? You think with SEC money we won't continue to compete and bring in a top coach? Just look at our recent hires in all sports. You think we did that with ACC money? Can you admit I'm right now?

I agree with everything you just said, and I believe

May 8, 2012, 12:44 PM

many here do, they just don't post as much or are too brazen to face reality. It's almost nice in a sense to see you guys finally put it together, because frankly the rivalry wasn't really a rivalry before. It was total domination. Right now the pendulum has swung in Scar's favor. Though the last 3 victories have been decisive, much of the disparity was due to Clemson-shitting-the-bed type stuff and not as much on the gap between the two teams (as evidenced by common opponents). I believe Dabo has the team headed in the right direction. Once we finally get some depth it should make for a better game. I still think we are a few years away. We need some time to build solid depth and for the coaches to get some more experience.

Being in the SEC is not a total win. There are still advantages to being in the ACC, although minor by comparison. SCAR must pray for a miracle and hope other teams falter in order to be atop the SEC. The ACC is wide open for the taking with only FSU posing any real threat right now.

Sure you could

May 8, 2012, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: At least you (and UF) admit its fear of competition ]

You've hit the 3 prong wins...lots of local talent staying home, finally have a good AD, timing of upgrades in facilities.

If it was just money then Ole Miss and Kentucky would be national powers in everything.

Re: They came asking in 90\91 but Clemson wasn't...

May 8, 2012, 12:39 PM

interested and begged off.

Clemson had a good thing as the only consistently good program in the ACC with guaranteed Top 10 rankings along with a lack of interest from the other basketball-centric ACC schools to seriously divert resources toward football to challenge them.

Ever wonder why the SEC went all the way to Arkansas then? Neither Clemson nor FSU wanted to degrade their situations by joining the SEC.

So you can't really throw a tantrum that they will not come running that you decided that Clemson made a bad decision in 91 and want a do-over.

Re: They came asking in 90\91 but Clemson wasn't...

May 8, 2012, 12:41 PM

FSU Yes - Clemson NO

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: They did put feelers out to Clemson but the admin at

May 8, 2012, 12:45 PM

that time completely unreceptive to the idea.

Sometimes you make decisions which don't work out exactly as envisioned, it happens.

May 8, 2012, 3:11 PM

The SEC already has a market in Florida and South Carolina. Expanding with us or FSU wouldn't make business sense.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic