Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8

Jul 15, 2020, 11:27 AM

Parents will be given the option to send their kids to school, or to keep them home for virtual learning.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8

Jul 15, 2020, 11:33 AM

The fact that he actually had to say it is quite sad. ### are we doing here.

Superintendent/administrators/teachers have to be told to go to work? I mean, I'm assuming they've been cashing their paychecks, and now we have to basically mandate that they go to work.

What exactly do you think digital learning is?***

Jul 15, 2020, 11:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The course load has been demonstrably reduced during

Jul 15, 2020, 7:15 PM

online school since the pandemic, kids are losing educational and social ground, and a third of kids never logged into online learning. Not only is the course load much reduced and much less time was spent "in school", but there are less students being educated. In fact, SC has lost track of 10,000 students during online education. And how much of a teacher's job is personally interfacing with students and making himself/herself available for one-in-one training during a school day? So with all that said, do you think teachers have been earning a full salary for educating our children? Go back to school people! Stop the madness. People want to talk about how we've handled the pandemic versus other countries (which is a farce), well now is the time to follow other countries examples and put the kids back in the classroom.

Re: The course load has been demonstrably reduced during

Jul 15, 2020, 9:42 PM

Do you honestly think teachers make so much money they're getting one over on the taxpayers?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

Dang, why the aggressive response? You act like the teachers have been on strike or something.

As a spouse of a teacher, I can say that a majority

Jul 15, 2020, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

want to go back to work. There are lots of details that need to be worked out though.

Teaching both online and in-person is going to cause major stress having to do both.

Get a clue...teachers/administrators have been working

Jul 15, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

their a$$es off trying to figure this mess out. They've been in meetings, preparing lesson plans, having virtual classrooms, etc. I've seen it firsthand. So what is your problem with teachers/administrators/educators? This is the first post were you've disparaged teachers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2020, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

outlaw1081 said:

The fact that he actually had to say it is quite sad. ### are we doing here.

Superintendent/administrators/teachers have to be told to go to work? I mean, I'm assuming they've been cashing their paychecks, and now we have to basically mandate that they go to work.

Teachers don't get paid over the summer unless they are teaching summer school. I know some places allow them to spread out their school year salary to include the three months off, but its still for 9 months worth of work.

So no, they haven't been "cashing checks" because they haven't been getting paid.

What schools get 3 months off?

Jul 15, 2020, 5:09 PM

School ends in June and starts in August.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2020, 11:44 AM

Sadly he refuses to order that the entire state wears a mask. I'm not a mask wearer but to have it one city only to not 2 miles away in another is stupid. Not a fan of this "Govna"!!

You're not a mask wearer but you're going to be critical

Jul 15, 2020, 11:53 AM

of the lack of a mask requirement?

just what kind of #### are you?***

Jul 15, 2020, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he didn't

Jul 15, 2020, 11:53 AM

he is recommending they open after Labor Day.

The only thing he is "ordering" is that all kids have an option to e-learn. He's leaving all other details to the school districts.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

I guess he was wanting to feel relevent since he hasn't been doing anything to help the state during this pandemic as we are now known nationally as a hot spot to be avoided.
He has already wimped out on declaring masks be worn statewide and did about as little as he could do when he ordered alcohol to not be sold after 11pm. He needs to close the bars and the beaches and require maskes statewide. Myrtle Beach and Charleston are two of the worst areas in the US for covid but McMaster dithers away.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:56 PM

Sorry but many are not in favor of mandatory mask-wearing.
So far this looks to have the death rate of a bad flu season. That's assuming Coivd-positive reporting is accurate (which has been proven to be not be the case).
And at the end of the day, closing beaches and bars is not going to stop college kids from fraternizing together.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2020, 1:28 PM

A bad flu season? Even at the highest estimate, the most flu deaths in the US in a single year over the past 10 years has been 58,000. 58,000 is the highest number of estimated deaths for that year, and the actual estimate for that year is 45,000. So far, the estimated deaths in the US from COVID is 139,505 which is 81,505 higher than the worst flu season in the past 10 years per the CDC.

People can say that number includes probable cases, but they do the same thing with the flu as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

Jul 15, 2020, 1:54 PM

You know, it's amazing that I see so many posters on here put so much stock into a pulse rating. My above post being downvoted is a great example of how it shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm not saying anyone had to agree with what I posted, but I did at least form an opinion into words, and even provided a link to the numbers I was discussing. Instead of someone replying with why they disagreed with my post, they downvote and left no reply.

I always thought the spirit of a downvote was for trolls or disrespectful posts. It's instead constantly used as a disagree button for immature people too lazy to engage in a conversation so they can later avoid the conversation altogether by calling someone a coot if their pulse rating drops far enough.

Jul 15, 2020, 3:06 PM

Pulse rating is nothing more than a popularity contest. Say something that the majority of this right leaning board agrees with, and you will have a high pulse. I too, thought it was to weed out trolls, but no its basically a measurement of how aligned you are with the majority of the board on politics, race relations, college athletes getting paid, etc.

Jul 15, 2020, 6:39 PM

dogunwo If I remember correctly, my "pulse" went down after I took up for Deshawn and Deondre (regarding the names of Tillman and Calhoun) I'm a former cheerleader, a season ticket holder and a family donor to IPTay. It went down again when I called someone's ideas ridiculous. Let's see if it goes down after this message. It was stupid of me to put my real picture here -- that may be another reason it went down.

I would love to be corrected if I am wrong about this.

I am a teacher and we haven't stopped working. I worked my butt off during school closure and I know kids and some parents are desperate for there to be student-teacher face time.

I had recommended to Crump and Co. a while back to color

Jul 15, 2020, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

code this instead of a 1-100 % range. Keep it to 5 categories -

Solid Orange 90-100 ish
Lighter Orange 75-90 ish
Gray 60-75
Garnet 40-60
Black Under 40 and on the way out

Newbs would start out gray and have to earn enough upvotes to qualify to move up the orange scale.

To me this better tells the story of a poster's commitment both to the University and to the T-Net community, knocks the crabby Karens back a bit, and might help some open up a bit more.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But the economy!

Jul 15, 2020, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

Money > Lives

Re: But the economy!

Jul 15, 2020, 3:08 PM

You do realize if you can not make a living to feed and house your family, then that's not acceptable, right. I mean, you realize you cant deny people the opportunity to make a living, as long as its legally done by law.

People will always get sick and die, they always will and have. You don't shut the economy down because of it unless you have other goals in mind

What does schools being on a digital learning

Jul 15, 2020, 5:07 PM

schedule have to do with any of that?

Jul 15, 2020, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

Since a mask doesn't prevent the spread of the disease I'm pretty sure all politicians ordering the wearing of masks are doing it for p r nothing more. Social distancing does help.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

My wife is a high school teacher, and is chomping at the bit to get back to teaching in person. The digital teaching is a joke. I guess the teachers now have to make classroom plans as well as digital plans. She worked twice as hard and many more hours when they took the kids out of the schools last semester.
SC schools "lost" 17000 kids last semester during digital learning. I wonder how many more kids have to suffer before they restore 100% classroom learning?

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 15, 2020, 12:15 PM

Your wife is in the minority amongst her co-workers and should be applauded. .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Jul 15, 2020, 12:43 PM

What makes you think she's in the minority of teachers? My neighbor is a teacher, and my friend's wife is a teacher, and both have been dying to get back into the classroom. My neighbor has her own children and she wants no part of having her kids at home while she tries to teach kids over a computer.

Jul 15, 2020, 5:07 PM

Over 70% of Richland 2 staff answered they don’t want to return to in person teaching in a survey. Statewide 65% of respondents said they would not return due to health conditions. A perusal of social media shows a vocal majority against returning and they attack the handful that do say they want to return. So that’s why I think she’s in the minority. I’m glad to know there are some and hope they will be encouraged to stand up to the distance learning crowd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Jul 15, 2020, 5:29 PM

Thanks for the response, I wasn't aware of the survey.

Curious, Viz. Were respondents saying they "don't want to

Jul 15, 2020, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

return" or was it "not comfortable returning"? And when was this survey performed? Any links?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Curious, Viz. Were respondents saying they "don't want to

Jul 15, 2020, 7:03 PM

The Richland 2 survey the four choices were highly uncomfortable, uncomfortable, comfortable or highly comfortable. Then results were published as for/against merging the 2 levels of comfortable/uncomfortable. The current Richland plan basically precludes anything resembling a return to normalcy for students. The SC for Ed survey was different and have only seen it alluded to in news articles so don’t know they exact wording.

Btw - i know I’m reading between the lines a little. You can want to return but be “uncomfortable.” But, having taken the survey - it was really the only question evaluating willingness to return to school. There should have been a follow up asking intentions to return to work or return students regardless of comfort. But bureaucrats no how to write a survey getting the response they want ( reflected in the fact that District operations staff were the most uncomfortable with returning in that breakdown ).

Nah

Jul 15, 2020, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

I don't believe that. I know a couple teachers, and to have tell it, it's exactly what Pig said. Teachers agree "digital learning" is not "school", and they are more than anxious to get back in a classroom. They didn't become teachers to end up being "digital learning" administrators.

The SC Dept of ed previously stated that teachers will not have to make

Jul 15, 2020, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

two sets of plans. I wonder how that will change.

onine offering is a seperate offering. consider it its own

Jul 15, 2020, 3:02 PM

school with online only instructors.
But in person teachers will still have to prepare at home/eLearning/online material in case a student/class is quarantined after exposure. If my kids is coughing. standard issue cold? maybe...but we don't know. I'm guessing they'd want him to stay home until his negative COVID test or his 2 week quarantine or whatever, right?

These are all questions that we (at least at my school district) don't have right now. very useful when making life decisions like this

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

What happens if a person in a classroom tests positive for

Jul 15, 2020, 5:06 PM

COVID? Does that entire class quarantine? What if it's a secondary school and that kid comes into contact with 200 or more people in all their classes? Are those people notified? Do they quarantine?

I agree, my wife teaches ELA at our Middle School

Jul 15, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

Our school sent home "packets". Most kids returned them completed. Too many returned them blank with their name on them, they received a 60 (D). There were many that did not return them at all. The admins had to chase them down. Some did a half-a$$ job turning them in late. But none were failed because of it.

E-learning should be taken over by the state with standards. It is not fair to have the teachers prepare for both.

Plus there are kids with no internet service. Rural poor districts will have kids left far behind.

Our Foghorn Leghorn governor needs to listen to the teachers, not the State Dept. They have no clue what they are doing and are a waste of $.

BTW, During the shutdown, I was driving through Marion County and had to stop for a school bus, delivering meals to kids... a catering food truck basically.

Our Education System has some screwed up issues.

They got the meals and now get $330

Jul 15, 2020, 7:07 PM

for the school meals they missed since March if they are on the free lunch plan - great use of funds.

Jul 15, 2020, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

Here is what is not being considered. What is the plan when you have a Covid case in school? They shut down work places, have everything cleaned. make employees get tested, wait 14 days yada yada.How successful will school be when this happens? It would be better to have learning online, with teachers at the school. but without students. Students who need help can come in and see the teacher. This is what I would set up for all schools for the 1st semester.

According to Betsy DeVos says its fine. Nothing to worry about***

Jul 15, 2020, 5:12 PM

nm

Re: According to Betsy DeVos says its fine. Nothing to worry about***

Jul 15, 2020, 5:49 PM

You got the name wrong. It's Cruella DeVille

Jul 15, 2020, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: McMaster orders all public schools to open by Sep 8 ]

PetesPonies, great question. I work at a Charter school so we will shut down for 14 days if someone has Covid. I think it depends on how many kids or teachers were exposed. This thing is so subjective.

Jul 15, 2020, 9:50 PM

I'm a retired Instructor, 30 years. I know how the school operate, for good or bad. But bringing the kids into a school is a bad, bad decision. Teachers, sure. But no kids . . unless they need special help. This means a lot of the Sped Ed students can get in to see their teachers if needed. really anyone can. But the higher level students will be fine on line. You need to severally lower the contacts between students. They will spread it like a wild fire.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:35 PM

How about Carr? Is that the Lt Gov? I know they've had a catalog business for years. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He hasn't ORDERED anything. Just recommending. meaning

Jul 15, 2020, 12:39 PM

those of us facing a decision deadline of Friday night are awaiting even MORE changes to the proposal.

freaking cluster.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Guvna McClusta...***

Jul 15, 2020, 5:22 PM

And many schools had already presented their plans for

Jul 15, 2020, 7:15 PM [ in reply to He hasn't ORDERED anything. Just recommending. meaning ]

hybrid combinations of so many days in school and so many online. Some on rotating groups each week - they spent weeks developing a plan that fits their district and now given 2 days to meet the governor's idiotic statement. I don't think he really knows what he said because he was asked by a reporter if he meant 5 days a week and he cut him off denying he said that and then said the same thing again. I know one district that is on a year-round schedule and are planning to start the year in less than 2 weeks with a hybrid plan that does not include 5 days a week face-to-face for any students.

Jul 15, 2020, 1:00 PM

So they can now choose whether their child gets a virus from another student or from a Spam email sent by a Nigerian prince.

Jul 15, 2020, 8:09 PM

I can only speak for myself and a few of my colleagues but we are so ready to get back in the classroom. None of us looked at this as a vacation. If anything, it’s been way more stressful. We genuinely love our students and we constantly worry about our students who we haven’t been able to connect with virtually. Being in a Title I school, a lot of our students come from difficult situations and I worry about them being fed, loved, and educated. Again, I can only speak for myself, but this is not a paid vacation for me by any means.

Jul 15, 2020, 9:23 PM

I would love to know of the percentage of those that answered they would be unwilling or uncomfortable in returning, how many of those have felt comfortable enough to go on vacation/ continue to go out in public to various stores.

I know how most human beings are. Once you realize that monetarily, you receive the same for working for it as opposed to not, it's easy to fall into the "I'm uncomfortable crowd" . And that goes for all professions, not just education.

Jul 15, 2020, 9:52 PM

It shouldn't be left to what they want to do. The average Joe is stupid. Decide for them. Kids in a school situation will spread the virus if it is among us. It's not difficult to see that.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic