Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe we just need to accept that college has changed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,590

Maybe we just need to accept that college has changed

Mar 1, 2015, 4:34 PM

Clemson, and pretty much every college now,is no longer a life experience, it's a business decision. Kids don't attend Clemson because they love Clemson, they attend Clemson because Clemson can give them something, and they feel no real need to give anything back, other than their tuition money. Heck a good number of students don't really even take that many classes at Clemson, as they collect credits from community colleges and AP classes to avoid having to pay for them at Clemson. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, it's smart, but it's got to diminish the Clemson experience to something more like a technical training school than a college experience.

I went to Clemson for 4 years on my own dime from 1999-2003. I sat through some seriously bad basketball. I went to the games knowing full well we were going to probably be embarrassed, but my friends and I showed up anyway because we were Clemson students and we felt some sort of innate desire to support other Clemson students. This innate desire to support Clemson is now replaced with students who see athletics as sheerly entertainment. If the team isn't winning, or they don't like the "style" of play, basketball gets tossed in with every other form of entertainment available, and gets no special attention. It's just another thing to do in a long list of possible things to do.

Finally, to the kid who can't figure out where to find a copy of the basketball schedule. Please, just tell us that you don't give a #### about Clemson basketball. I would prefer that to an excuse that makes you look both lazy and stupid at the same time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe we just need to accept that college has changed

Mar 1, 2015, 5:14 PM

The kids being raised today want and expect everything for free and of the highest quality. They don't know the meaning of earning it. Sad but true. They don't look for starter homes like we did. They want the high profile homes to start. I'm through ranting now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2015, 5:29 PM

As a parent of a child who will soon be attending college (hopefully Clemson), on my dime. Perhaps if it didn't cost $100K for four years of school, things might return to the way they used to be. I'm guessing that your degree 15 years ago cost less than 1/2 of that. Not saying anything about your degree other than the cost of college has doubled, or more, since you went to school. And yes, my child will take dual credit AP classes and everything else we can do to save money. We are in the group that doesn't get free stuff and I have saved since she was born to be able to afford to send her to school. $100k for a college education is insane. Tuition has made college a business proposition, not the "kids of today".

College was very expensive back in 2003....

Mar 1, 2015, 5:43 PM

college tuition being very high isn't a recent occurrence, has been going on for about 15-20 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are arguing against my argument

Mar 1, 2015, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe we just need to accept that college has changed ]

While agreeing with it. I'm not sure how to respond.

Mar 1, 2015, 5:34 PM

"other than their tuition"

I laughed at that.

Have you ever considered the fact that a lot of students might just not like basketball or sports in general?

Mar 1, 2015, 7:16 PM

I think that is what a lot of us find frustrating. I HATE baseball but I watch or listen to EVERY single game and try and make it to a few more each year. Why? Because it is Clemson and that makes it fun and is all it takes for me to care. Doesn't matter what I normally think of the sport I want to watch every last match, inning, quarter, meet, half of Clemson sporting events I can because I care about the school and those that choose to represent it.

Do you think I enjoyed watching bad basketball?

Mar 1, 2015, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe we just need to accept that college has changed ]

Nope, but I still felt compelled to go because, Clemson.

Yeah, maybe the mindset is just different

Mar 1, 2015, 5:35 PM

Because, for me, it didn't particulalry matter whether Clemson Basketball was any good when I got there. The only thing that mattered was that it was big time college sports and that it was Clemson.

Some of the comments in defense of the students sound like people who aren't really fans of sports, and/ or people who aren't realy Clemson fans. If you're both a big sports fan and a big Clemson fan, then you're going to want to be at as many Clemson Basketball games as you can be at, no matter hoe good they are.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

91/92 LJ was empty..

Mar 1, 2015, 5:45 PM

4 years later it was slammed and fun. I think we won 10 games or close to that on the entire season in 1991, so 92 people were not excited and of course we had another bad season. Nobody went to basketball games really. Ironically Rick Barnes comes in and it is great again. It will be great again when we are good again. I think we look back at the past with orange colored glasses on at times.

Mar 1, 2015, 5:38 PM

People didn't attend basketball games in some lean years in the early 90's either when I was at Clemson. Rick Barnes came in and turned that around in 1994. Fans don't want to consistently watch an average product that doesn't make the tournament. CBB will turn the corner and LJ will be slammed the year after next.

It's the Prez Barker effect of athletics vs academics...

Mar 1, 2015, 5:41 PM

recent and current students have bought into former Prez Barkers opinion that you can't excel in both academics and athletics. When schools like Texas, Florida, Michigan, and numerous others prove that assertion false. That's why recent and current students have become a little antagonistic towards Clemson athletics.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lotta troof here^***

Mar 1, 2015, 6:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Stopped reading after you said college was no longer a life

Mar 1, 2015, 6:25 PM

experience.

There's a lot more to do at Clemson now than ever

Mar 1, 2015, 6:26 PM

Huge, nationally respected intramural sport programs, robust selection of clubs and student orgs, a full greek life, and many other things. There is a lot of other things to consider as a student now. I went from 2004-2009, and even then things were taking off.

You guys can sit here and trash the students all you want. They're not going to care. They've got a lot more to occupy themselves with these days than a below average basketball program.

And don't get me wrong, I did marching and pep band, so I sat through many more games than most did during their stay at school. But I didn't expect everyone to show up in droves to see us lose to Gardner Webb.

You agree with me

Mar 1, 2015, 7:24 PM

and yet it feels like you're arguing with me. It's strange.

He agrees, but apparently thinks it's a good thing

Mar 2, 2015, 12:24 PM

Also, I thought from the first couple of lines of his post that it was going to be a joke. Does he think those things didn't exist at Clemson before?

As you said, it just seems like the mentality now is less about being into Clemson sports and more about just doing whatever (especially whatever involving screens). Waffler doesn't think there's anything wrong with that, but I thought the spirit at Clemson was what made it great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,590
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic