Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
folks, Chad Morris did not hire Jeff Scott as his OC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

folks, Chad Morris did not hire Jeff Scott as his OC

Dec 2, 2014, 12:02 PM

This does seem a bit simple, to me.

I've got some issues with Morris's basic concept on offense, as I've said. Unless you've got an absolute hoss like Tim Tebow or Tajh Boyd I don't like having your QB do double duty as your leading tailback AND your passer because it exposes him to too many potentially season-ending kill shots - see Deshaun Watson at Clemson and both Braxton Miller and now JT Barrett at Ohio State if you want more examples - and I think Morris was iffy as a developer of pure passers. Boyd had a beautiful longball and could run like a tailback but took major black marks from NFL scouts in his ability to go through a progression and his throwing mechanics and accuracy, and we all saw how Stoudt struggled with his fundamentals this year. That said, for what he did, he did very well, and Morris's offense posted even better numbers than Rich Rodriguez's did at Clemson. Morris is a very good offensive mind and there's a reason he's been on the short list of a lot of schools almost every year since he got here.

He did not hire Jeff Scott as his OC at SMU, though he could have.

If Jeff Scott is considered unready for the OC position at SMU, I would be supremely leery of hiring him as OC here at Clemson.

Clemson is a primo gig. Whoever walks into the post, walks into a job willing to pay as much as $1.3 million dollars a year, and will inherit an offense that has accumulated some of the best talent in the country. This coordinator will inherit Deshaun Watson, two highly-touted incoming freshman QB's in Tucker Israel and Kelly Bryant, rising sophomore RB's like Wayne Gallman and Tyshon Dye, and WR's like Mike Williams and Artavis Scott (who both look like future first or at worst second-round NFL draft picks to me), along with incoming instant-impact freshmen like Deon Cain, Ray Ray McCloud, and the #1-rated left tackle in the nation, Mitch Hyatt.

A coordinator can absolutely make his career, walking into that situation. You could actually make a case this is potentially the sweetest OC gig available anywhere in college football right now. Name one place that offers more money than that, or where a coach would inherit better talent. One. I don't see it.

And we're talking about promoting an unproven guy and rolling the dice when we could get virtually any OC in the country to jump into this gig? Are we kidding? Why on Earth would we take the risk?

We have the #1 OC job in the country open here at Clemson, folks. Why aim for anything but the absolute best?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he didn't take the SMU job because he knew he

Dec 2, 2014, 12:03 PM

had a better offer here

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe he didn't take the SMU job because he knew he

Dec 2, 2014, 12:46 PM

For what its worth, we spoke to one of the Grad Assistants that Morris took with him Saturday night after the Coot game. He's the friend of our neighbor. He said that Morris advised Dabo against promoting JS. Suggested Tony Elliot. That makes me think Morris did not offer JS.

Re: Maybe he didn't take the SMU job because he knew he

Dec 2, 2014, 12:50 PM

> For what its worth, we spoke to one of the Grad
> Assistants that Morris took with him Saturday night
> after the Coot game. He's the friend of our neighbor.
> He said that Morris advised Dabo against promoting
> JS. Suggested Tony Elliot. That makes me think Morris
> did not offer JS.

I am also hearing JS was not offered.

or....

Dec 2, 2014, 12:05 PM

it could be that Chad did not hire Scott as his OC because he knows that Dabo intends to promote Scott to the OC's position at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

or quozzel just isn't getting it these days. Do you think

Dec 2, 2014, 12:12 PM

the next man up is going to start out at 1.3....really. I think JS would be hungry to prove himself as a hot young offensive mind and definitely is in touch with the players today. Then again.....we might be in the B1G by the time next year rolls around.

That's funny, Chad didn't hire him because Jeff knows

Dec 2, 2014, 12:08 PM

he's the new Clemson OC. That's why Jeff and Dabo were on the recruiting trail together yesterday visiting the recruits, telling them what the plan was. Thinking Chad not hiring menas he's not ready is just WRONG. Who would go be the OC(in name only, Chad will call his plays)at SMU,when next in line for the OC at Clemson ???

I do agree Chad might not be the QB wizard he's given credit for. Boyd had it coming in, so does
Watson. Chad had 3 years to mentor Stoudt and that didn't go real well. He is a dang GOOD OC though.

That's a bold statement from MRTTMT***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

with feeling!***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:12 PM

I'm blind and don't have my glasses this morning LOL***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to That's a bold statement from MRTTMT*** ]

He could have had Stoudt a decade and it wouldn't have

Dec 2, 2014, 12:13 PM [ in reply to That's funny, Chad didn't hire him because Jeff knows ]

made a differnce....If you don't think TB looked considerably better under CM than under BN, you just weren't paying attention

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He could have had Stoudt a decade and it wouldn't have

Dec 2, 2014, 12:24 PM

> made a differnce....If you don't think TB looked
> considerably better under CM than under BN, you just
> weren't paying attention

I certainly was paying attention. Boyd was a great college QB, and Morris put him in a situation where he was allowed to do what he did well. He spread the field out, put some of the most explosive targets in college football history out on the perimeter - Watkins in particular was a once-in-20-years-type-talent, and let Boyd fling away deep. If that was covered, Boyd pulled the ball down and rumbled with his own two feet.

Boyd had one of the better deep balls in college football, and he could run like a tailback. And as I said, he was an absolute hoss who could take the pounding.

Like Tim Tebow, he broke records. He broke scoreboards.

And exactly like Tim Tebow, what he didn't do well was check down to his second, third, or fourth options; he stared down his primary way too much, he didn't throw overly well across the middle, and he did occasionally struggle with his accuracy. Our offense either torched you in three plays, or it went three-and-out. And it did go three-and-out a lot. And occasionally our offense did hit a brick wall when the opposition had enough athletes to both erase the deep ball and keep Boyd from just pulling it down and taking off - see South Carolina all three years Boyd started, see FSU in 2012 and 2013. Not knocking Boyd - he was fabulous on the college level - but if he'd just been better with his progression and accuracy and able to check down and keep the chains moving more consistently, I wonder if Clemson might have won a national title one of those years. And Boyd ended up barely getting a cup of coffee in the NFL before he was out of the league.

Re: folks, Chad Morris did not hire Jeff Scott as his OC

Dec 2, 2014, 12:10 PM

Perhaps because the understanding is already there that Jeff Scott will be OC at Clemson.

Scott's background says he will feature more running from tailbacks than in Morris' offense. I like that direction myself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we do have a couple***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:15 PM

NO way Dabo let's his best recruiter and the guy who has

Dec 2, 2014, 12:13 PM

been groomed for the OC get gone. They have known Morris was leaving for 3 years. Scott has been getting ready for 3 years. Ready or not, it's his time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

LOL Believe me, Chad would have taken Jeff, if possible***

Oh I know, what i'm saying is no way Dabo was going to let

Dec 2, 2014, 12:17 PM

that happen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Or maybe Morris doesn't "really" need an OC because

he is going to do what he does and the OC will just manage Morris's system instead of doing all the Xs and Os stuff. Jeff Scott would make a great coordinator and just because Morris didn't try to hire him doesn't mean he wont be a good fit for us. My biggest fear would be Dabo would try and make him a Yes Man and interject and try and meddle too much in the play calling himself. Dabo's strong suit is just being the CEO. I have been skeptical that over the years that some of these trick plays come at times that we didn't need them and I was always suspicious that Dabo was the one calling for the play

Re: folks, Chad Morris did not hire Jeff Scott as his OC

Yeah but what u don't understand is Scott doesn't get promoted and leaves we lose a handful of good recruits! Scott is hands down our best recruiter after Dabo and is not far behind him! Just read the TE recruits message on the front page! Im ok with Scott getting the job I think he is a hard worker that will do a good job!

Scott's entire family is here. Why uproot and go to SMU?

Dec 2, 2014, 12:17 PM

It's obvious he is going to be OC here and that is fine by me. He will be a good one !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where did you get the idea Scott was considered unready for

Dec 2, 2014, 12:19 PM

the SMU OC position or that Chad could have hired him if he simply wanted to hire him but chose not to?

That's a lot of assuming with no basis or foundation for the statements.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

paying our OC less means the DC can get a raise

Dec 2, 2014, 12:20 PM

:D

So you know JS wanted that job and was turned down?

Dec 2, 2014, 12:23 PM

LOL....

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

It begs the question, who is the best OC in the country

Dec 2, 2014, 12:35 PM

to run our offense? Dabo's not gonna change the scheme with Watson at QB, we've run the system for 4 years and Watson's run it since a FR in HS. Lashlee at AU knows the system better than anyone except for Malzahn...and I don't think Lashlee's leaving AU for anything. Also, at some point in the last 4 years, the Malzahn and Morris offense went on somewhat divergent paths. CU passing more due to Tajh's capability at QB and our relative lack of OL strength, while AU has had plenty upfront with their OL and less talented at the QB position.

With DW, we need continuity of system to allow for his growth. Heck, he could probably call the plays himself and be pretty darn successful. I think Jeff Scott might be the best OC candidate in the country for CU. Although the Air Raid O's have similar tendencies, could you really implement that at CU without upsetting the apple cart? I'd say no.

A chess piece that I could see fitting in is a solid QB coach. Our O's success is wholly dependent on our QB play, so someone to help develop Watson, Israel, and Bryant makes a lot of sense. Who that is, I don't know. Any other former Malzahn QBs in coaching right now?

Maybe Just Maybe JS told CM***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Quozzel, always enjoy your input...

Dec 2, 2014, 3:12 PM

I had the same exact thought since the gig opened up. We can get just about anyone in the country, yet we're promoting a virtually unknown.

Consider this, though. J Scott leaves and Cain and McCloud (the future/the keys to our upcoming playoff trophy) would likely hop off off the commit list.

Also, how many times do you think Jeff Scott had his head in his hands with frustation while having to watch Morris' complete inability to make halftime adjustments. Morris never took HUGE gambles, like going for a the kill shot on 3rd and 1, etc... just play calls in general that nobody in the stadium would've expected him to call.

His ability to develop QB's is suspect, at best. So just get one of the best QB develops in the country to replace Morris, and I'll we'll fine.

Give Scott a year (that way the future of Clemson's offense has been signed, sealed and delivered). He's been around FB all his life, dad was OC at Clemson and FSU and was a head coach at usc jr. Plus, it's not like he hasn't already had success calling play at both the high school and college ranks.

There's no way he can do worse than Morris' inability to find a way to move the ball (with 3-5 NFL starting WR's/TE and Clemson's all time best QB) when talented teams took away the long ball and came up and stopped the screen game by playing deep cover 2 man-press.

If it doesn't work out after a year, then at least we still have the most weapons (Cain/McCloud), great depth up front and the RB position, and a phenom QB, AKA the best situation in country to walk into and thus, still our pick of the litter in regards to OC's.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic