Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why can’t we close on 5* RB’s & OL’s?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Why can’t we close on 5* RB’s & OL’s?

Dec 17, 2017, 4:01 PM

UGa seems to be killing us in this department. Why?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why can’t we close on 5* RB’s & OL’s?

Dec 17, 2017, 4:06 PM

Has this always been a struggle for us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2017, 4:08 PM

Cha Ching cha Ching nothing else needs to be said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes! It has always been a problem for

Dec 17, 2017, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Why can’t we close on 5* RB’s & OL’s? ]

USuC Jr.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everything has always been a coot struggle so you tell us.***

Dec 17, 2017, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Why can’t we close on 5* RB’s & OL’s? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell em, coot!***

Dec 17, 2017, 4:18 PM

Re: Tell em, coot!***

Dec 17, 2017, 4:21 PM

Why the coot remark?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe because we have 5 star lineman and rbs on

Dec 17, 2017, 4:23 PM

our team?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe because we have 5 star lineman and rbs on

Dec 17, 2017, 4:33 PM

Yeah we do. But I understand what he’s saying, especially lineman. And that’s really more in the past history. To me, the better question is why is uga recruiting so well with an unproven coach. And one that really choked last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Third year in playoffs and you still are asking these

Dec 17, 2017, 11:42 PM

questions? Need to buy a clue I guess.

Re: Maybe because we have 5 star lineman and rbs on

Dec 18, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Maybe because we have 5 star lineman and rbs on ]

Like Hugh Freeze? Hmmm

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tell em, coot!***

Dec 18, 2017, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Tell em, coot!*** ]

Probably half of begalines comments are stupid coot comments. Obviously he has issues. I just ignore him. He obviously has a sad personal life.

Dec 17, 2017, 4:20 PM

I’ve wondered the same thing about offensive line. Kinda disagree with rb. Just think we go after different backs but totally agree with ol. We’re catching up though! Hurts us we haven’t put many if any in the pros. Not lately.

Can’t believe Big Mac didn’t get drafted.

Dec 17, 2017, 4:36 PM

Feaster and Hyatt say Hi.....

Dec 17, 2017, 11:27 PM

You just listed the only 5 star RB in recent memory to come here...Bellamy doesn't count. He completely wasted his talent. The same goes with Hyatt as far as I know. Though as others have mentioned, 5 star lineman aren't a dime a dozen.

So to be fair, UGA's been dominant on getting the five star RBs...I mean look who they've had, have and will have. We seem to do well with developing our guys and they fit our system but having a Gurley or a Chubb WITH a Watson and crew...can you even imagine? I do think ET will prove to be a steal. I think Feaster is a very good back and has the chance to be special but I don't think he's quite reached the stratosphere of expectations we fans initially placed on him...especially with the Lattimore comparisons from his HS coach. I mean, there's many here that want ET to start over Feaster.

UGA has proven to put RBs in the NFL although it's safe to say they didn't have to start with a project. So if that's their pitch then I feel it's a bit misleading to recruits. They'd go pro just the same if they came here. So I don't know why someone like a Zamir White wouldn't be giving the reigning national champs a much closer look.

Dec 17, 2017, 11:47 PM

If you don't want to count Bellamy because he wasted his five star talent you have to count Etienne because if he had the exposure of all other top recruits he would have been a 5 star.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:02 AM

"I do think ET will prove to be a steal."

Agree completely. He looks to be severely underrated.

I’ll take our results in ACTUAL wins and losses over GA

Dec 17, 2017, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Why can’t we close on 5* RB’s & OL’s? ]

recruiting any day of the week! Clemson develops talent, Ga wastes it.

Yep***

Dec 18, 2017, 12:35 PM

We just had THREE OL make first team all ACC.

Dec 17, 2017, 4:36 PM

Seems to me our OL recruiting is fine. Feaster was the #1/#2 RB in the country. ETN has been mentioned as a Heisman contender for 2018. Our RB recruiting is just fine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

From an article in 2015, there were (33) 5-star offensive

Dec 17, 2017, 4:43 PM

line guys.......... In the previous 10 years combined. So it seems like there are only about 3 of those dudes every year. Many of them "didn't pan out", too.

Pretty decent article here

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/how-five-star-offensive-linemen-panned-out-in-last-decade/

Spot on. Development is probably more important with

Dec 17, 2017, 4:59 PM

O-Linemen than any other position, as it is much more difficult to assess and project them from HS to college than any other position. With WR, RB, DB, DL, even QB, you can sign a bunch of 4/5-stars and you're good to go. That's much less true with O-linemen. Some of our best ones have been 2 or 3-stars who were developed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Bingo!!***

Dec 17, 2017, 11:49 PM

Re: From an article in 2015, there were (33) 5-star offensive

Dec 17, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to From an article in 2015, there were (33) 5-star offensive ]

Didn’t get much from this article. I wouldn’t say many didn’t pan out. It seemed to me it depended on the team they were recruited by and the development they received.

But the article is right. Not many 5 stars each year.

I just think the perception has been over the years that uga recruits well in oline and rb. As above poster said, keep winning and we’ll get our share. Just need to put a couple in the pros. Change the narrative! Go Tigers!

I'm not sure how you didn't get much fun that

Dec 18, 2017, 12:33 PM

article. I thought it put a great perspective, especially the OL. And like others said, I think wins and losses should be counted as a KEY measurable.

Are you kidding me? Forget the stars we have one of the best and deepest groups in both positions.***

Dec 17, 2017, 5:44 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at the defensive line. Two 5 stars and two high 4 stars

Dec 17, 2017, 11:37 PM

Best defensive line in the country.

If 3 of the 5 olineman were 5 stars (ready made) and the others were the development type then does our o-line get the same accolades? Probably.

Don’t think he’s saying we don’t have a good group. Just saying it’d be nice to not have to guess.

We're too busy locking up stud 3* RBs that slip through

Dec 17, 2017, 6:03 PM

the cracks of recruiting services. These idiots at Rivals had ETN as a 3 star. SMH!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/travis-etienne-11589

Re: We're too busy locking up stud 3* RBs that slip through

Dec 18, 2017, 12:06 AM

Exactly. It's pretty clear that Etienne was a 5* level player who simply didn't have enough eyes on him to get a proper rating.

Dec 17, 2017, 6:09 PM

Feaster and Hyatt say hey. Crowder and Etienne might as well have been.

Dec 18, 2017, 10:10 AM

You've named the only 5* lineman, whose uncle was on the '81 team. And an in-state RB who was the only 5* we've landed since maybe Spiller.

I think what the OP is suggesting is that, after going to 3 straight playoffs and having 7 straight 10-win seasons, locking up players like Salyer, Mays, White, etc. shouldn't be this competitive to a team that won the SEC Least for the first time in 5 years.

Luckily, our coaches have developed talent better than anyone, and that's why we continue to succeed.

Dec 18, 2017, 12:05 PM

Our 3 and 4 star lineman have been doing just fine. Stars do not always mean they will be good in college.

Dec 18, 2017, 2:29 PM

You're right, they have been doing fine. Stars aren't definitive, but a 5* has a better probability of being good than a 3*.

Dec 17, 2017, 10:28 PM

get back to us on this on Dec. 21. Dabo always gets a few surprises.

Dec 17, 2017, 11:48 PM

Try beating the Citadel before worrying about Clemson's recruiting!

BEAT IT COOT!

I think it's history.

Dec 18, 2017, 2:50 AM

Georgia is known for running the ball. We are recruiting better ad better all of the time in those areas though.

Re: I think it's history.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:12 AM

We get whomever we desire that fits!!
Appears to me we have best running backs in the country now...
Go Tigers!!

We get rejected at times.*****

Dec 18, 2017, 10:55 AM

Member that time

Dec 18, 2017, 10:47 AM [ in reply to I think it's history. ]

Herschel Walker scored all them touchdowns in Death Valley ?

Georgia is no doubt well known for their running backs though , you're right about that .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Agreed...

Dec 18, 2017, 9:12 AM

I think this is a major problem, and the main reason we have not been able to win a NC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: LOL......hope you enjoy your plate of crow tomorrow

Dec 18, 2017, 9:14 AM

Coot

Also, this class isn't a great one for RB's. We get one next year, btw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Dec 18, 2017, 10:37 AM

Closing on 5* RBs is a difficult thing to do for anyone , not kust Clemson . They're usually extremely fast , have great elusiveness and vision which is why their 5*'s in the first place , generally speaking.
Now , closing on a 5* OL is much easier , but once you get to him what do you do with him ?

I hope I made some sense of it for you ...pursuit in football is tricky for some folks .
People Helping People

DB23

Dec 18, 2017, 10:50 AM

https://youtu.be/PH56V_1E8Fg

DB23

Especially when we're talking about an OL

Dec 18, 2017, 12:41 PM

catching a RB. Pretty much need a 6-star OL to do that.

why do we turn in each other with the coot crap?

Dec 18, 2017, 11:25 AM

I graduated from Clemson in 1993 and was in tigerband for 4 years and pep band for men and women’s basketball. I did not miss a home or away game in football or home game in men and women’s basketball in all 4 years. Went to all the bowl games and even to Japan when we played Duke over there. I am just responding to how we put all of our eggs early on in the zamir white basket and then pursued Carmen, Salyer, and Mays and when I look at the top 10 rb’s in the nation on recruiting sites- none seem to be coming to Clemson. Why do I ask the question? This is recruiting AFTER 2 straight championship game appearances and kicking ALA’s a&$ last year to win it all and we can’t get just one top 10 back or lock up just one top 10 offensive lineman? I just wondered why after the success (post Feaster and Hyatt) can we still not lock up top 10 OL’s and RB’s? Please stop this coot sh$&&t please and grow up.

Re: why do we turn in each other with the coot crap?

Dec 18, 2017, 11:56 AM

You do realize we are about to land Mays, right?

This year's RB class is very weak, btw and staff has already moved on to the next cycle. We will land a 5* in the next cycle. Bank on it.

STHU and just admit you don't know much about Clemson recruiting.

Screw Calford.

Why the STHU?

Dec 18, 2017, 12:01 PM

what's wrong with you people? Why would you say this to me when I asked a question? You don't have to be an a@# about it!!!!

Re: Why the STHU?

Dec 18, 2017, 12:02 PM

Because the premise to your so-called "question" is flawed and factually incorrect.

HTH

Screw Calford.

Re: Why the STHU?

Dec 18, 2017, 12:29 PM

I have lived for over 30 years in Georgia as a rabid Clemson fan ... not unlike an Israeli living in the Gaza Strip, so I HATE the Dawgs with a passion. But did any of you guys think to give a little bit of credit to Kirby Smart as a very good recruiter who learned how to recruit 5*s at the foot of the master in Tuscaloosa? We have recruited as well as anyone and developed better than almost anyone for the last 5 or 6 years and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. This glass half empty is getting a little irritating.

Did you see our short yardage TD against

Dec 18, 2017, 12:49 PM

Alabama last year, when Jay G. and Hearns made that D-lineman look like he was unconscious?

I pretty good with the state of our talent.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic