Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC

Jan 22, 2015, 11:02 PM

What do we do as a replacement? Do we promote someone from within? Maybe Hobby or Reed? Or do look for someone on the outside?

I know Hobby is Co-DC, but I figure that's for show and pay. But I also suppose he could be next man up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC

Jan 22, 2015, 11:21 PM

I assume the same...all signs point to promoting from within. My thoughts would be Marion Hobby is next in line. He has been successful as a recruiter and position coach for a while now. Hopefully we can hang on to him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2015, 11:27 PM

Dabo will not promote from within on the defensive side. Dabo will hire a proven guy. No way to tell who it will be at this point, but it will be a proven DC.

Jan 22, 2015, 11:36 PM

What makes you think so? Where are your facts that point to this? Dabo hired a proven guy on the offensive side of the ball, took those same philosophies when CM moved on and promoted from within to continue that offense. He hired a proven guy in BV, and all signs point to keeping BV scheme and promoting from within to continue what's been started. I don't see that philosophy changing. If they can handle the job, why not. IMO Dabo will leave for Bama post Nick Saban era and BV will take over as HC before BV bolts on Clemson, but I've been wrong before. Just my thoughts...

While I didn't make the statement

Jan 23, 2015, 1:06 AM

I tend to agree.

IMO Dabo felt more comfortable with the promotion from within on offense because as a coach he comes from an offensive background and can help with any adjustment period his young co-coordinators might have. He doesn't have that luxury on the defensive side of the ball. That would mean bringing someone in who has actually served as a DC somewhere, even if it is a case like Morris where he didn't have a ton of college experience.

Also consider it was pretty much public knowledge that they had a succession plan to replace Morris when he left, there hasn't been a peep about the same thing being done on defense.

Jan 23, 2015, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC ]

Dabo will never go to BAMA !!!!!!!! Everybody said that about Ford in the day.

Dabo will hire the best if it is when in the staff or not. You ask the guy for facts on his opinion

Where are your facts??????

Jan 23, 2015, 9:38 AM

I mean you don't just pull opinions out of your ###. Rationale comes from logic and reasoning particularly based off facts. Fact of the matter is Dabo has shown that he will hire from within...he promoted not only TE, but JS and brought BS back home. Those are facts. Based off those facts, you can make an educated guess that Dabo would prefer to keep OUR guys at home in Clemson if it's the right opportunity. If not, he will go after a proven DC that fits the bill. Dabo likes to give HIS guys a chance. I don't see him taking a chance on a proven DC that comes with a hefty price tag...there's no one out there worthy of that. BV just came in at the right time, getting out of a bad situation. You don't see guys like BV come along very often, not with his pride, passion and intensity.

Jan 23, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC ]

I can answer your first question. I believe Dabo knows a pretty good bit about offense. He saw what type of offense he wanted, saw it with CCM, and made a great hire. The talk all through his tenture here was that Elliott and Scott (who were both already upcoming guys with potential to be OC's in the future) were under his wing and learning his philosophies. It was pretty well known that one of those guys would take over the offense when CCM left although some were still surprised when it actually happened. I think it was a really good move again by Dabo. They are top notch recruiters and have potential to be great coordinators. You don't want to lose those type guys, especially Scott, who is IMO the best recruiter Clemson has other than Dabo. Not to mention it keeps this class together. If you want to make a case that Hobby would be promoted to DC, that's your opinion, just as it is mine that Dabo will go with a proven guy on that side of the ball. He doesn't know defense like he knows offense and I think he would be more comfortable with a proven guy with a personality that fits in at Clemson. Dabo has proven he can make the right moves, so when/if that time comes and he has to replace Venables, I think he will make another great move.

As for your second question, where are your facts?? I don't have any facts just as you don't. It's all speculation. An opinion from what I've seen. A discussion that really is immature at this point, but it's a message board and that's what they're made for.

Jan 22, 2015, 11:34 PM

Don't think he wants to be a head coach

Jan 22, 2015, 11:34 PM

Don't think he wants to be a head coach

Will be NFL DC Before he leaves CU for College HC - IMO..***

Jan 22, 2015, 11:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know. The KSU job should open soon.

Jan 22, 2015, 11:41 PM

Snyder won't hang around too much longer, and I imagine it'd be hard to turn down his Alma Mater if he's offered.

When Snyder retires, he's gone IMO

Jan 22, 2015, 11:52 PM

you cannot take the love for a man's alma mater out of him, especially if they throw money at him and all other things add up right.

Bear Bryant said when he left TAMU for Alabama

Jan 22, 2015, 11:54 PM [ in reply to I don't know. The KSU job should open soon. ]

"Mama called".....pretty much sums it up when a coach's alma mater comes after him.

Re: Bear Bryant said when he left TAMU for Alabama

Jan 23, 2015, 5:47 AM

I am not so sure Dabo will leave for Alabama. I truly think he loves Clemson and for the most part, Clemson fans love Dabo. I think Venables is the same way! I think he realizes that Clemson is his calling and that we will be competing for the NC on a yearly basis. We have NEVER had the level of recruiting that we have right now. For some reason, I don't see that changing with the coaches we have right now. Players notice how many players we are putting in the pros and ALL of them want to go the pros. Developing talent and playing time are key to staying good and having great teams yearly. Our players and staff will keep the ball rolling. The future looks bright for Clemson.

As far as our young bucks on the offensive side of the ball goes, none of them have egos yet, so they are open about plays and see what works and collectively do what it takes to put us in a position to win. They didn't use trick plays when they weren't called for and used the clock when we needed to. I think we are in good hands and I think we will all enjoy watching our Tigers play for the next few years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV is waiting on KState

Jan 23, 2015, 6:42 AM

I'd be ok with Hobby. He has been a DC before.

He might be

Jan 23, 2015, 7:39 AM

but is KState waiting on him?

In the past I have read where there could be some bad blood between Venables and the Wildcats after he left there to go coach at OU, then later spurned an offer from Snyder to return as DC.

Jan 22, 2015, 11:39 PM

I think that Venables is biding his time until Snyder retires as HC at K State, his alma mater. That would be a good fit for both.

We're on the same page here.***

Jan 22, 2015, 11:42 PM

Jan 22, 2015, 11:48 PM

BV isn't cut out to be a HC. I'm sure he's turned down plenty of offers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe. Maybe not. But I know for a fact that KSU hasn't

Jan 22, 2015, 11:51 PM

offered him.

He's in a good spot right now, and I'm sure he won't leave for just any job. But if his Alma Mater came knocking, I don't think he could refuse.

I think he could be a fine HC. I certainly hope he doesn't leave, but I think it's in his future.

Re: Maybe. Maybe not. But I know for a fact that KSU hasn't

Jan 22, 2015, 11:59 PM

Maybe, but the only thing worse than getting fired is getting fired by your alma mater and few coaches are safe anymore. This has to be in the mind of most coaches. Having said this, the only offer I worry about relative to Dabo is one which would come from Bama.

Re: Maybe. Maybe not. But I know for a fact that KSU hasn't

Jan 23, 2015, 2:38 AM

If KST would offer the job to him TOMORROW he would definitely have a hard decision... but you don't turn down a return to your alma mater (especially in a talent rich region).

The Alabama angle is interesting because they can/will obviously pay whatever it takes, but BV just seems like he's not of the same gremlin ilk of Saban, Kiffin, Steele etc.

I think we have a top 1-10 DC as long as KST doesn't come calling.

Jan 23, 2015, 12:20 AM

Lately Dabo has been hiring Clemson grads. Idk who's next but that's been the trend lately.

Jan 23, 2015, 1:13 AM

WHY are we having this conversation. I have been following Clemson football since I WAS 10 and that was 65 years ago. Let the future take care of it's self - we are in the best of times - ENJOY >> I WOULD like to have someone express what USC is going to do next year when their head coach bolts after another bad year and who do you think would be brave enough to take his place!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Best post on here in a LONG

Jan 23, 2015, 8:21 AM

time . . .

With age comes wisdom & perspective & insight & understanding what is important . . .

Thanks FT INN TIGER - glad you are here !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Because it was late at night and I was bored.***

Jan 23, 2015, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC ]

He's stated several times he has no interest in being a head

Jan 23, 2015, 2:21 AM

coach. Chad morris was obviously looking for an opportunity since he got here so it's a completely different scenario. BV isn't going anywhere anytime soon, the only way we lose him is if an NFL team comes knocking but again there's a lot of guys who want no part of the NFL so who knows. But I do know he has said he doesn't want to be a HC

Although the Kansas State job would be enticing, there are

Jan 23, 2015, 5:00 AM

people who become secure and satisfied in numerous endeavors without desires for higher positions.

BV could be one of those types - happy, well-paid, highly successful and renowned as a DC at a prominent program without the headaches of a HC. Mickey Andrews at FSU comes to mind, as one of these types.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Although the Kansas State job would be enticing, there are

Jan 23, 2015, 7:18 AM

Bud Foster at VT

Re: Although the Kansas State job would be enticing, there are

Jan 23, 2015, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Although the Kansas State job would be enticing, there are ]

Maybe so. It'd be great if he stuck around and decided he was All In for the long haul. I just think that if his Alma Mater came knocking, that would be a tough thing to turn away.

Jan 23, 2015, 7:19 AM

rotflmfao. is all some of you do is sit around and think up every negative situation that could possibly come up with. some of you just boggle the mind. i know, i know it is a sports board and you are suppose to come up with silly stuff like this. smh.

God forbid someone around here talk football.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:54 AM

Maybe I should have posted about Tillman Hall?

Re: God forbid someone around here talk football.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:59 AM

VENABLES LEAVING IS TALKING FOOTBALL HUH. SILLY ME

Is Venables not one of our football coaches?

Jan 23, 2015, 10:01 AM

When did he stop?

Re: Is Venables not one of our football coaches?

Jan 23, 2015, 10:12 AM

YOU WIMMEN GO AHEAD WITH YOUR DOOM AND GLOOM. LET ME GUESS, YOU LOVE THE WEATHER TODAY ALSO. HAVE FUN.

What part of what I said gave off a doom and gloom vibe?

Jan 23, 2015, 10:16 AM

It was a simple question for the board to think about.

Also, I think your shift key is stuck. You should get that fixed.

Re: What part of what I said gave off a doom and gloom vibe?

Jan 23, 2015, 10:29 AM

SHIFT KEY WORKS FINE

How is it a silly scenario?

Jan 23, 2015, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: So when Venables inevitably leaves to be a HC ]

If he continues to field good defenses he will move on to become a HC sooner rather than later. He's already said in the past that becoming a HC is his end goal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I nominate

Jan 23, 2015, 8:17 AM

the get back guy!

Re: I nominate

Jan 23, 2015, 10:11 AM

Pretty much a topic that doesnt need to be discussed at this time. Truly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not? Is this not what we do on a message board?***

Jan 23, 2015, 10:26 AM

It must be their week for some lol***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:37 PM

DITKA***

Jan 23, 2015, 10:58 AM

Time flies... That was the fastest 4 years ever.....***

Jan 23, 2015, 11:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic