Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm hearing that 5.7 mil for wall funding has passed...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 632

I'm hearing that 5.7 mil for wall funding has passed...

Dec 21, 2018, 1:47 PM

in the house and has been submitted for vote in the senate. 50 and Pence will put this on the POTUS' desk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

5.7 mil for wall funding would get unanimous Democratic

Dec 21, 2018, 1:54 PM

support but no Republican support.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I left out a few zeros.

Dec 21, 2018, 2:17 PM

I get confused after million go to double digits. I'm handled contracts worth mils in single digits but never been in authority of a job over 7.5 mil.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

60 unless they use the nuclear option, and I'm not

Dec 21, 2018, 1:58 PM

sure Mitch would do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me either but if it doesn't reach the POTUS desk he will...

Dec 21, 2018, 2:18 PM

surely claim it's congress' fault for the shutdown.

Re: I'm hearing that 5.7 mil for wall funding has passed...

Dec 21, 2018, 2:09 PM

You need 60 votes to pass in the Senate, unless they kill the filibuster. McConnell has already said he isn’t doing that.

Didn’t you once say I was dumber than a mollusk?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might not be dumber than a mollusk,

Dec 21, 2018, 2:18 PM

but you have no problem posting the exact same thing someone else already did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must interject even though it appears to be some form...

Dec 21, 2018, 2:22 PM

of intercession. To date no scientific evidence indicates that live mollusk can read.

You ARE dumber than a mollusk, aren't you?

Dec 21, 2018, 2:25 PM

SCIENCE.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like mollusks and cartilaginous fish,

Dec 21, 2018, 2:27 PM

no bones about it.

I definitely have a bone to pick with salmon, though.***

Dec 21, 2018, 2:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like to respectfully put an end to this before it goes

Dec 21, 2018, 2:31 PM

much further.

So you just want us to clam up?***

Dec 21, 2018, 2:32 PM

So much for me and my scientific explanations. :)***

Dec 21, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to You ARE dumber than a mollusk, aren't you? ]

If you think a politician wouldn't lie you might be...

Dec 21, 2018, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm hearing that 5.7 mil for wall funding has passed... ]

dumber than a mollusk.

Re: If you think a politician wouldn't lie you might be...

Dec 21, 2018, 3:13 PM

McConnell has no reason to change the rules in this instance. He has no leverage at this point with the new Congress being seated in a couple of weeks. He also knows that the wall is incredibly unpopular.

No leverage?

Dec 21, 2018, 3:58 PM

That makes no sense. He has leverage galore with the new Dem majority House coming in next session that will certainly never produce a similar bill for the Senate to approve.

He's not losing leverage in the Senate....if anything his position will be fortified there starting with the next session.

It has nothing to do with leverage. He has the most leverage at this moment that he's going to have for the foreseeable future.

What he doesn't have is the spine required to push through something that will pisss off the big money donors who thrive on the backs of cheap labor.

Even given that the wall is the right thing to do...

Dec 21, 2018, 4:27 PM

Eliminating the filibuster is the wrong way to do it. That rule is there for an excellent reason. They should put the filibuster back on for all the things they've eliminated it for (like confirmations).

It takes a lot more "spine" (courage) to work within the framework of the rules and get something done together with people who disagree on things.

The dems eliminated the filibuster for Obama's spending...

Dec 21, 2018, 5:20 PM

sprees. If the pubs reinstate the guideline do you honestly believe the dems won't do it again when it's expedient for their causes?

Re: The dems eliminated the filibuster for Obama's spending...

Dec 21, 2018, 6:58 PM

It's quite possible that I've forgotten something, but when did the Dems or GOP ever eliminate the filibuster for anything other than confirmations? I know that it's been discussed by both parties over the years, but I didn't think it had ever actually been done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I'm wrong.

Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 PM

I though the dems did it for budget issues.

Re: Maybe I'm wrong.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:11 AM

The Democrats only eliminated the filibuster for federal judicial appointments, excepting Supreme Court nominees. When Trump took office, McConnell killed the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees.

The legislative filibuster hasn’t changed since the ‘70s. There is a special rule regarding reconciliation, where a simple majority will allow a bill to pass the Senate, but that doesn’t apply to this bill.

Thank you.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:17 AM

That's good to know and I believe Mitch is going along with tradition.

Republican leadership is notorious for caving on shutdowns.

Dec 21, 2018, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: If you think a politician wouldn't lie you might be... ]

If Trump is ready to shut it down the pubs may cave to his demands being they are of the same party and not wanting to side with dems against a sitting pub POTUS.

Re: I'm hearing that 5.7 mil for wall funding has passed...

Dec 21, 2018, 7:14 PM

I support that.

Replies: 24
| visibility 632
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic