Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Math...and Recruiting Stars
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Math...and Recruiting Stars

Dec 19, 2018, 4:38 PM

For those fixated on recruits' stars, remember what this staff does with the 0-stars and 2-3 star recruits. Some programs bring in players who are close to as good as they'll be.

Clemson. Doesn't.

That is all...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes development is key

Dec 19, 2018, 4:50 PM

But it’s been statiscally proven that stars matter. A 5 star is 33 times more likely to be an All-American, and significantly higher probability of getting drafted and drafted early than a 2 or 3 star.

So you’re right that this staff has shown the ability to develop lower rated players but you’re not winning championships without the 5 star talent. Luckily we’re getting both.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Math...and Recruiting Stars

Dec 19, 2018, 4:52 PM

The math is the easy part. We have (2) 5*, (10) 4*, and (14) 3*. That's (2 x 5) + (10 x 4) + (14 x 3). That's 92 stars. Divide that by 26 recruits and that's 3.54 stars/recruit.

The real question is: where do the stars come from and, more importantly, where do they go? It seems every year players come in with stars but never seem to have any while they're here or when they leave.

Dec 19, 2018, 5:03 PM

Funny..... and very true.

The stars come from recruiting analysts

Dec 24, 2018, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Math...and Recruiting Stars ]

They don't really go anywhere, though. I found 5 of CJ Spiller's still sitting right here: https://247sports.com/Player/CJ-Spiller-24875/high-school-40054/

Stars are super important, by the way. You won't win a national championship without a ton of 'em.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 5:04 PM

Kinda agree Salty, how many high 4* or 5* have been what could be called busts. Just an opinion, kinda like the Heisman or any NFL guru like Kipper or Mayock.

Dec 19, 2018, 5:12 PM

Just to clarify, not at Clemson but at other Universities.

Dec 24, 2018, 7:26 AM

We’ve had quite a few at Clemson

Mike Bellamy
Jamie Harper
Roscoe Crosby
Willy Korn
Tony Steward (not a complete bust but not a 5 star career)
Daquan Bowers (again not a bust, but 2 mediocre years and 1 good year)
Shaq Smith (Jury is still out, but not a 5 star career yet)

Dec 24, 2018, 7:46 AM

Daquan played like a 5 Star!
Roscoe was more focused on Baseball
Tony Steward IMO played like a 5* his Senior year(injuries)
Jamie Harper and Willy Korn were not 5*
Mike Bellamy was only here for 1 year due to off field/behavior issues

We develop most 5* into Champions both on the field and off! Go Tigers

Dec 24, 2018, 7:55 AM

Daquan played like a 5-star for one year. Willy Korn was a 5-star for over a year and was dropped at the end of his Sr year before signing day. Jamie Harper was a 5-star on Scout. Yes TS was injured and we know that as Clemson fans, but maybe a lot of other 5-stars at other programs appear to be busts because of injuries that we don’t know about.

Dec 24, 2018, 2:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Math...and Recruiting Stars ]

sample size of each proves *s matter most, we just remember the headline of 3* surpassing all expectations, & the 5* fizzling out; because it "sticks in our brain", anomalous mnemonic device, that is effective for recall of the aberration, but little else, and may over time, cause the aberration to be falsely recognized as the norm.

Dec 24, 2018, 7:36 AM

About 60% of 5-stars make the NFL. About 1% of 2-star recruits make the NFL. You can try to convince yourself that stars don’t matter but they do. There are certainly gems to be found in both categories, but are you more likely to find diamonds digging in your backyard or at a diamond mine?

That 60% of a pool of 25 players

Dec 24, 2018, 9:03 AM

Makes the NFL isn't a resounding number, in the scheme of things, to me. Furthermore, the NFL career for most players is pretty brief, as well. We all realize Bama gets more 5* players than anyone, but even then, it's not a guarantee of championships...although it certainly doesn't hurt. Still, teams arrive at the CFP per the content of the roster that's built around the 5's, because those guys can't do it by themselves. Lastly, who has more upside...the 5, or the 3...for myriad reasons...? I ask that, solely because there are 3's that are equally talented as 5's, but didn't do the camp circuit, or played HS ball at classifications typically not watched by the so-called 'experts'.

I bet more than 1% of Dabo's 2 star recruits make it to the NFL

Dec 24, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Math...and Recruiting Stars ]

All stars are not created equal

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It still cracks me up to hear people hung up....

Dec 24, 2018, 7:53 AM

On “Stars”!

I just think of two words and press on....

“Hunter Renfrow”..

???????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It still cracks me up to hear people hung up....

Dec 24, 2018, 9:09 AM

I get so tired of the star arguement. Stars matter and it’s not close. Who do you think signs the most 5 stars? I’m guessing Bama, OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, and UGA... I’m not an expert like some here but are those teams good and usually in the CFP?

For every Renfrow we have a Cle (high 4 star), CW and Dex (5 stars), Bryant (4 stars), Tre Lamar (5 star), Mullen (high 4 star), Terrell (5 star), pretty much every WR not named Renfrow (high 4 or 5 star), some QB named Trevor (5 star), Hyatt (high 4 star), etc...

I mean we could field a team of 2 and 3 star projects but then we probably lose to The Citadel and have a 5 game losing streak to 3 different teams with no end in sight... don’t know about y’all but I’ll take my 5 stars and CFP berths.

Not one person is saying stars don't matter

Dec 24, 2018, 10:35 AM

The sole point to the thread was that, development matters as much...or more. That's all.

Re: Not one person is saying stars don't matter

Dec 24, 2018, 12:37 PM

The person this guy's response is to was literally implying stars don't matter because of one dude who surpassed his star rating.

Re: It still cracks me up to hear people hung up....

Dec 25, 2018, 2:18 PM [ in reply to It still cracks me up to hear people hung up.... ]

an exception to the rule does not change the rule

Dec 24, 2018, 9:53 AM

The number of 5***** recruits each year is usually less than 30 so with this limited number only a few teams will sign more than one. The meat of any class rests with a much larger pool of 4**** prospects and the higher rated 3*** prospects. The tell of the tape is best shown when we look at the recruiting rankings of all teams. As we progress from the top ranking to the lower rankings, we see exactly how the star factor relates directly to a team's success. It is not exactly a straight line but there is an undeniable trend.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2018, 10:40 AM

Stars do matter. However, our average end-of-year team ranking exceeds our average star ranking by about 5 spots (my guess). That means to me that our coaches do a better job of turning a bunch of individual players into a team and evaluating talent than most staffs out there. As our recruiting get even better (#5 this year is our best so far), our team will get even better.

Dec 24, 2018, 11:13 AM

I usually use star average as a ranking system. The way rivals counts points is flawed.

Last years class was second in avg star only behind Ga. That 2018 class is the best we’ve ever signed and it’s not close.

Here’s hoping 2020 is like 18 but with more numbers.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic