Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mask wearing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Mask wearing

Jun 20, 2020, 10:54 AM

I have seen multiple postings about people wearing masks on this football site...I assume they are putting it here to encourage personal hygiene when we go to the football games in a couple of months...

So, I am weighing in... Wearing masks will not protect you one bit against the virus. It never has and never will. Even the surgical masks will not protect you. If you happen to have the N95 masks, those will offer some protection. But all of these masks that are used by the people you see around town are useless. Even the official CDC pandemic response guidelines tell you that:

"Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These small airborne contaminants are too little to see with the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical/procedure masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user's face. During inhalation, much of the potentially contaminated air passes through gaps between the face and the surgical mask, thus avoiding being pulled through the material of the mask and losing any filtration that it may provide. Their ability to filter small particles varies significantly based upon the type of material used to make the surgical mask, and so they cannot be relied upon to protect employees against airborne infectious agents. Only surgical masks that are cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and legally marketed in the United States have been tested for their ability to resist blood and body fluids.
The best strategy to reduce the risk of becoming infected with influenza during a pandemic is to avoid crowded settings and other situations that increase the risk of exposure to someone who may be infected. If it is absolutely necessary to be in a crowded setting, the time spent in a crowd should be as short as possible."

The only protection masks give, even the certified masks, is if someone sneezes or coughs directly on your face, and the phlegm or other fluids get on the mask, instead of in your mouth or nose (if they sneeze on you while wearing the masks with no eye protection, you will still be able to get the virus through your eyes, so if you wear a mask without using eye protection, you are not protected!). At that point, the mask must be removed and replaced, or it increases your chances of getting the virus.

The only good thing about masks is if an infected person WHO IS COUGHING AND/OR SNEEZING is wearing it. If an asymptomatic person is wearing a mask, it is doing no good, as the virus is going through and around the mask. If the person has symptoms, including coughing and sneezing, then wearing a mask is useful. I feel like if the person is symptomatic, then they should have an idea they are infectious, then they should not be wearing masks...they should be home and not spreading the germs! Wear a mask around family members, but otherwise, stay home!

I am old and have lung problems, along with muscular dystrophy. I am high risk. I don't wear a mask, unless required to by the doctor's office or business I am going in (normally, if the business requires a mask, I don't go in).

Why believe me? My degree had a minor in microbiology, and I teach this stuff! For those who tout Fauci, understand that he originally said masks were useless, leave them for the professionals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mask wearing

Jun 20, 2020, 11:07 AM

Thx for the PSA. Heading to Tulsa today?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 11:14 AM

Understand your sarcasm...but not deserved...you are minimizing the facts that are given from the CDC, not from me. Nowhere was I being political. Yet, you had to inject politics into science.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 11:33 AM

The CDC is still recommending their use, but I pointed you because I see a ton of people wearing the surgical masks, many of whom are not throwing them out after 1 use. people need to educate themselves and not just assume that they don't still have to be cautious because they are wearing a mask. that is a problem.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 12:29 PM

Thanks, I give you credit for getting me over 1,000 thumbs up!

Jun 20, 2020, 2:13 PM

also most people do not know how to bend the metal Clip around their nose to make it air tight, otherwise they are just blowing air into their eyes. You are probably better off with nothing than a surgical mask that is not worn properly.

Absolutely Correct.....

Jun 20, 2020, 11:18 AM

But the hand wringers have to do something and by goodness if they do so does everyone else. It is not fair if for you not to be afraid as they are.

Haven't you figured out we play to the lowest denominator in all things in the US?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 11:27 AM

this is why I wear a diver's mask and snorkel when I go into publix.

Jun 20, 2020, 4:24 PM

I saw you with the divers mask and snorkel. I think the snorkel may hurt other people.

I was the guy wearing the mask like we use going into nuclear containment up at Oconee. At work we call it sucking rubber, which seems pretty crude, but you get the idea. Did you notice me?

I saw you and knew you were on top of things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you cant fix ignorance

Jun 20, 2020, 11:34 AM

Dumb nurses and doctors will still wear masks no matter how stupid it is. There is no way a mask can stop droplets from a sneeze or cough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, ignorance can be fixed...

Jun 20, 2020, 1:20 PM

It’s stupid that can’t be fixed.

Ignorance is lack of knowledge

Stupid is lack of application

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you cant fix ignorance

Jun 20, 2020, 11:34 AM

Dumb nurses and doctors will still wear masks no matter how stupid it is. There is no way a mask can stop droplets from a sneeze or cough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you cant fix ignorance

Jun 20, 2020, 12:02 PM

It is stated in the article that the masks stop phlegm from getting to the mouth and nose, but not the eye. It is also mentioned that the N95 masks offer some protection...those are the ones worn by doctors and nurses, but they are designed for stopping splatter of blood and projectile droplets from coughing and sneezing, not the "fine" particle of normal breathing....why the sarcasm?

Re:I agree wholeheartedly.

Jun 20, 2020, 11:35 AM

I think the best thing to do is keep your hands clean and most of all keep them away from your face.

This is harder to do nowadays because of cellphones. I was waiting in the parking lot for my wife to shop. While I was waiting I observed people leaving the store. A large percentage went directly for their phones before cleaning threir hands. No one sanitized their hands before getting in the car.

When we go to the store we make a conscious effort to handle things as little as possible and sanitize our hands before touching any personal belongings or getting in to the car.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:I agree wholeheartedly.

Jun 20, 2020, 12:22 PM

LOL. I see people everyday with gloves and a masks, holding their cell phone up against their face...Hilarious.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 11:44 AM

wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of the virus

Jun 20, 2020, 11:57 AM

I am not sure what CDC information you are looking at, but the most recent communications specifically focused on mask wearing indicate it greatly limits the spread of coronavirus when people talk, cough or sneeze, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html
. The CDC has even more detailed information on their other suggestions at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/index.html
. I think I will stick to listening to the CDC and their specific recommendations.

Jun 20, 2020, 12:16 PM

That is the current CDC recommendation...if you read the article, you will see that for the most part, It agrees with the official CDC pandemic response I posted. It states that it may help by having the people that don't know they have it, and are coughing/sneezing, to stop the spread of their germs. I specifically said that in the original post. What the link you shared did not address was the people with the virus who are asymptomatic...since they are not coughing or sneezing, the germs that they exhale are essentially still at the same rate whether they wear a mask or not.

Jun 20, 2020, 12:35 PM
Mask.jpg(136.7 K)

You do it for other people not yourself. In Japan when you used to see people wearing mask in public was because they had a cold or flu, not that they were worried about getting sick

Jun 20, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Mask wearing ]

I did read your original post and then read the actual CDC recommendations, and there are actually differences you left out. First, you referred to coughing and sneezing, while the CDC also refers to talking. As such, that covers everyone, including the asymptomatic people. In addition, here is a cut/paste from the CDC you seem to have missed, “ Cloth face coverings provide an extra layer to help prevent the respiratory droplets from traveling in the air and onto other people.” You seem to be selectively choosing parts of the CDC information.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:07 PM

No, I am using the info from the Business Pandemic Response Plan from the CDC. It never discussed anything about cloth masks, thus was not included in the discussion.

Cloth masks, like those made by people and worn in stores, offer zero protection against the virus when worn. It has zero chance of stopping the airborne virus, per the CDC and every science protocol out there. It can stop the larger particles that are caused through coughing and sneezing, and it can minimize the distance required to talk face to face to someone, which is why the CDC put it into the current plan. If you are 6 feet from someone, then the mask has no effect. If you are talking face to face to someone, then an infected person will have the virus laden exhale directed to the sides of the mask, and not directly to the face of the other person, which is why it is included in the current guidelines. Very little of the virus will be STOPPED by the cloth...if the cloth could do that, we would not need N95s.

If you feel the need to talk to someone face to face, then by all means, a mask on an infected person will help. I use and prefer the 6 foot rule, which negates the use of masks.

As to the graphic, that is misleading. The studies cited showing protection for the wearer took into account the phlegm type contamination, which is covered by the original post.

I do not take chances due to my risk factors. I use towelettes to clean gas pumps and controls, always use alcohol based disinfectants after any trip outside the car and back, Carry a towelette into the stores to wipe down the carts, etc.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:23 PM

So the page right from the CDC about cloth masks (even those made by people) being important to stop the spread from infected individuals, which even has an image of a cloth mask stopping the particles, should just be ignored?? Again, you are self selecting things from the CDC, and not looking At or ignoring updated info. That like saying the starting lineup for the first Clemson game will be the spring depth chart, and ignoring updated data.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:41 PM

It is not to be ignored, but understood. As I said, if you are within the 6 foot rule, then an infected person wearing a mask will deflect the virus laden exhale to the sides, outside the mask, not directly into the other persons face. That is a good thing, but the reason has nothing to do with the person wearing the mask for their protection. The studies cited from the CDC recommending the mask include this benefit, and the other benefit of stopping phlegm from the infected person... In every case, the CDC prefaces their recommendation to use masks with the note that it is useful during "CLOSE CONTACT", which I and my original post agree with.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Mask wearing ]

I appreciate your knowledge but the bottom line is if
you don't want to wear a mask, don't. If I choose to
wear a mask it's my choice so don't criticise the one's
wearing a mask. Most folks are just following the rules
or the advice of the medical experts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 2:09 PM

I agree, and did not talk about people wearing a mask being ridiculed, or those that don't being ostracized. It is your choice! Since there were so many posts that had to do with emotion rather than science, I chose to give the science.

Jun 20, 2020, 12:41 PM

I still remember that guy who came on here , I think he was a nurse even though he was male, talking about how hospitals would be overwhelmed and doctors would be doing surgery's with a pocket knife because we'd run out of medical tools.

Yet, those who projected this to be tge elimination of man seem to have disappeared or forgotten their stance . Folks, this will go away soon. Like 1st of November when the economy needs to ramp back up

Jun 20, 2020, 1:10 PM

I believe the individual said that if action was not taken, things could bet very serious for hospitals, which initially occurred. Then the shut down happened, cases started to drop, etc., so the hospitals were not overwhelmed . I am hopeful that the people who are most at risk will remain very cautious, especially people 70 and older are ones who are high risk due to other medical issues. If so, we could be just fine, but we will see. Suggesting this is a political response seems to be ignoring the 100,000+ that have died, and the leveling off of deaths seems to indicate success for the steps taken to lessen exposure. The US has lost over 15,000 since June 1, so it is not over or a a myth, but instead that it is being better managed.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:23 PM

I was told recently by multiple doctors at Duke that you must be in contact for at least 10 minutes, less than six feet, for the virus to spread. Also learned that the eyes should be covered as well, a mask isn’t doing any good if your eyes are exposed.

I recognized eearly on that wearing glasses is probably a go

Jun 20, 2020, 1:37 PM

good thing. You get some sort of eye proctetion. Face shields are ultimately may be a better plan. Less restrictive, easier to clean if someone sneezes/coughs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Face shields are very popular here in ColOmbia...

Jun 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

not be confused with the cesspool known as ColUmbia =).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 1:38 PM

IN THIS CORNER we have a Clemson fan, just logging in with his opinion on wearing masks: He says they will not help stop Covid-19.

IN THE OTHER CORNER we have the rest of the civilized, educated world, backed up by a very recent study: Everyone else says wear a mask while in enclosed spaces to help stop the spread of Covid-19.

Would everyone please log your votes quickly so that we can tell whether to wear a mask or not.

Wait, wait....We have a question from the the peanut gallery. What is it? "How would Pascal wager on the question?" Well sir, everyone knows how Pascal would wager. He told us a long long time ago.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please log your votes. Mail in ballots are allowed. Hanging chads bedamned.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:53 PM

You are not making the correct positions:

On one hand, a person of science that has posted the scientific evidence showing that the masks will not stop the virus from passing through or around the mask. His position is that if you practice 6 foot rule, then a mask is not needed. He has stated that if you are going to talk face to face with someone, where a mask. All backed up by everything, including current CDC guidelines, as can be seen by responses to the post.

Per you: "IN THE OTHER CORNER we have the rest of the civilized, educated world, backed up by a very recent study: Everyone else says wear a mask while in enclosed spaces to help stop the spread of Covid-19."

This group does not include the rest of the civilized world, and it is backed up by studies that have been posted here and explained rationally and scientifically by the OP...And this is the first time that the word enclosed spaces was used! Enclosed spaces implies within the 6 foot rule, which I have already said that if you are doing that, wear a mask!

How about this? if you are in a place, location where you

Jun 20, 2020, 1:57 PM

aren't 100% sure that you can always distance, shouldn't one wear a mask? better to put one on with clean hands than have to dig and put one on while in the store.

that's just my opinion. I need to go tot he store. I try to go at times whne it's not crowded, and honestly, some folks don't know how to distance. So I just wear it in the store so that I don't have to fumble with it when I'm inside.

Re: How about this? if you are in a place, location where you

Jun 20, 2020, 2:16 PM

No problem here....for some reason, some on here think that I am advocating that you never wear a mask...I hope that my responses have cleared that up.

I generally feel that wearing a mask should be the option of the wearer, and never mandated. In my case, with my lung problems, wearing a mask for long period of times is problematic with my health...if I put one on for long periods of time, I can't adequately breathe, yet, no businesses take that into account!

And for all those that just went AHA! There is the reason he does not wear masks! Look back over all posts and you will see that none of my posts discuss this problem, just the science behind the masks.

Jun 20, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Mask wearing ]

Harley are you a lib or just watch to much cnn

what about allergies? serious question or ...consideration

Jun 20, 2020, 1:40 PM

I could be positive for covid, but not showing symptoms as a result. However, I could be severely allergies to ...outdoors and therefore sneeze, cough at times. So then I'm at higher risk of passing along the virus someone even though I didn't know I had it.

Re: what about allergies? serious question or ...consideration

Jun 20, 2020, 1:54 PM

If you are coughing and sneezing for any reason, a mask is recommended, or stay home.

Jun 20, 2020, 2:10 PM

Those of you who choose not to wear a mask are part of the problem. Why do you think the medical people wear them ? The masks the public wears may not be as good but something is better than nothing. We have proven that S.C. has some ignorant and stubborn people residing here.

Jun 20, 2020, 2:32 PM

The medical people are wearing them because they are around people that are coughing and sneezing, resulting in phlegm....which is covered in the OP. And in most cases, they are wearing the N95s which are more effective. They also do not want to contaminate patients during surgery, which is why they wear respirator types during surgery (because most masks do not stop the viruses from passing through).

There is no way you could be calling me ignorant (my posts prove that I have knowledge of the subject). You could have used the word stupid (meaning that I ignore the facts and do it anyway), but that would not apply. So that gets us to the word stubborn...that one I will give you! If there was any scientific data that said that the masks would stop the virus from passing through, I would wear them (after shaving off my beard, and having the masks "fitted" properly to my face to prevent bypassing of the air under the sides).

Reality: All of you that wear masks all the time while out in public...when you breathe in and out, can you feel the air going out and in the sides of the mask? Of course you can! That is unfiltered air, and proves the mask is ineffectively filtering the air you breathe. Those that wear glasses have their plastic fog up because their exhaust is going up by the gaps around the nose. You are still exhaling nearly the same amount of contaminants than you would if you were not wearing a mask. If you are talking face to face with someone, wear a mask, because you exhale will not be directed directly to their face, but around the mask.

It would be just as effective if anyone that could cough or sneeze were to carry multiple handkerchiefs or tissues, and anytime a cough or sneeze starts, pull it out and use it!

Jun 20, 2020, 2:26 PM

Here’s the way I look at it...wearing a mask is very easy to do...and any benefit I might get from wearing one, no matter how small, is worth it to me personally.

I fully understand there is very little benefit, but for the life of me, I don’t understand why so many seem to be so bothered by others wearing masks.

Jun 20, 2020, 2:35 PM

Again, for some reason, people took this as saying that it bothered me to see people wearing masks...nowhere did I state that or imply that.

And the alternative to your question, it should also be no bother to anyone when a person chooses NOT to wear a mask (unless they are coughing or sneezing, or negating the 6 foot rule). Some of us have medical reason for not wearing a mask!

Jun 20, 2020, 4:20 PM

Yep...I agree the only time it bothers me when someone is not wearing a mask is when they aren’t taking any precautions otherwise. Some are just trying to be ##### about it.

So all around the world..

Jun 20, 2020, 2:27 PM

And here in Colombia, everyone is wearing a mask with no complaints. No where else has it become political except in the USA (possibly Brazil). What the #### have we become when wearing a mask now identifies you as a bleeding heart liberal?

Idiotic.

Re: So all around the world..

Jun 20, 2020, 2:38 PM

I was in Columbia Thursday, less than a third of the people I came in contact with were wearing masks, LOL!

Message was edited by: JPRICH Top Paw®

Not sure I’m thinking he is in

Jun 20, 2020, 2:53 PM

Colombia, not Columbia. I think. Maybe?

Sorry, haha, yes ColOmbia...

Jun 20, 2020, 3:38 PM

Its better, trust me I have lived both places for a while =).

Re: Sorry, haha, yes ColOmbia...

Jun 20, 2020, 4:39 PM

The pun was the reason for the LOL at the end. I originally sent it out without the LOL, but realized most would not get it!

Jun 20, 2020, 2:44 PM

The only time I wear a mask is at work because it’s required when your within 6 feet of someone. I’m a Chemist and do environmental test for a paper Mill.
Thankfully there is only one other person that works in the lab with me and he has his own test lab . So we only get close if we want to chat .

Jun 20, 2020, 2:47 PM

Thanks. You are following the CDC guidelines! Within 6 feet, where a mask, since you do not know if you have the virus!

Jun 20, 2020, 2:53 PM

You have no idea what you are saying. Of course masks dont stop you from getting the virus but yes they do positively reduce the spreading of the virus to some degree. You people act like it has zero impact and thats bs. It does. Some help in reduction is better than none. Stop being a selfish jerk and so your part.

Jun 20, 2020, 2:59 PM

Could you please look over all of my responses? You are attacking me, saying I am ignorant. Then say that the masks do not stop the virus, then say they help to some degree....

That is the same thing I have said! Other than calling someone ignorant! I said they do not stop the virus, but if someone is infected and symptomatic, it can mitigate the spread...yet you chose to attack me?

Jun 20, 2020, 3:07 PM

You just spent this entire thread advocating not wearing a mask. Talking about how little good they do.

You are part of why we had 1100+ new cases overnight. I think you are wrong and people need to so what they can.

Jun 20, 2020, 3:13 PM

NOOOOOO! I spent the entire thread saying that the masks will not protect you from airborne viruses. But that it would stop an infected person from spreading it through sneezing and coughing. It does not help for an asymptomatic person to wear one, and it does not help a person trying to protect themselves from the virus, unless the person sneezes or coughs directly into their face. YOU MADE ASSUMPTIONS THAT ARE WRONG!

I even said that if you were going to be within 6 feet of a person, where a mask...but I do not think you read everything, and just assumed what I was saying.

Jun 20, 2020, 3:51 PM

“It does not help for an asymptomatic person to wear one”

This is simply not true. This particular coronavirus is unusual in that it seems to have a large viral load and high transmissibility before the infected person shows symptoms. And many carriers are infectious while at the same time never showing symptoms. It’s quite different from MERS and SARS in that regard.

Jun 20, 2020, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Mask wearing ]

“It does not help for an asymptomatic person to wear one”

This is simply not true. This particular coronavirus is unusual in that it seems to have a large viral load and high transmissibility before the infected person shows symptoms. And many carriers are infectious while at the same time never showing symptoms. It’s quite different from MERS and SARS in that regard.

Jun 20, 2020, 4:37 PM

If you will read what I said, it is useful when an asymptomatic person is talking face to face, as it directs the exhale to the sides instead of directly into the other persons face.

The reason I said it at the beginning is that the mask does little to help with transmission rates when the 6 foot rule is observed. It only helps when sneezing or coughing is occurring, which is symptomatic.

Jun 20, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Mask wearing ]

The reason we had more cases is because we are testing more! Just like the football team...what was it? 23 players tested positive? And almost all were asymptomatic (no symptoms). They would never have been counted without the testing, because they never would have seen a doctor to be tested!

Jun 20, 2020, 3:26 PM

As has been said, there are differing opinions on wearing masks. Here are some folks who have a lot to say about the issue. All kind of science in here. And we have Pascal to tell us what to do when there is no penalty for taking a particular course of action when you might not be 110% sure of what you ought to do.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/06/10/2009637117

It is a nice article detailing the study methods, results and so forth, but in a 3 page thread, you might be tired of reading. Here is their operative statement of results:

Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the trends of the pandemic. This protective measure significantly reduces the number of infections. Other mitigation measures, such as social distancing implemented in the United States, are insufficient by themselves in protecting the public. Our work also highlights the necessity that sound science is essential in decision-making for the current and future public health pandemics.

Jun 20, 2020, 4:04 PM

From your article, which I read: Advice on the use of face masks was not issued until April 6, 2020 by the WHO (1), claiming that it is important only to prevent infected persons from viral transmission by filtering out droplets but that it is unimportant to prevent uninfected persons from breathing virus-bearing aerosols.

That is the same thing I said...persons with the virus can wear the mask and it helps by preventing the coughs and sneezes to project out into the air. Otherwise, no help.

Look at the graphs that they used, the downturn started halfway through the stay at home order, and continued at roughly the same rate after the mask orders. Given the data they have, I would have to say that they could not attribute their results with the masks...All they are looking at is how the decrease occurred after the mask orders were made....it assumes that no other factors could have caused the drop (the education of how to avoid the virus by the people is of utmost significance, not just wearing the mask, but that was not brought out).

Yes, wearing the mask by the carriers helps....I have said that all along. If anybody that has objected to what I have said would look at it without their political affiliations, they would realize that all of the data I have given is consistent with all of the data that they have sent me to prove I was wrong!

Jun 20, 2020, 4:18 PM

TOP PAW, if most people misunderstand you, is it your fault, or that of most other people?

Human communication is an attempt to put a thought or idea into the brain of another human being by the spoken or written word. If the other person can't get the thought, you failed to communicate. You are not helping most people act most effectively for the good of the community.

EVERYONE SHOULD WEAR A FACIAL MASK WHENEVER THEY ARE NEAR OTHER PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY INDOORS.

Jun 20, 2020, 4:30 PM

The people that read the OP with political eyes only had already tuned me out. Once the criticisms started, I "communicated" very well, but by then, those with "political" eyes would not listen. Do you now think that I ever said never wear a mask? NO! Did I not say in the OP that the people with symptoms should wear a mask? Did I not say that if you were going to be within 6 feet of someone, wear a mask? Did any of the "political" people ever hears this? No! All they saw was the original sentence, that masks do not stop the wearer from getting the virus, which is scientifically sound.

??

Jun 20, 2020, 3:25 PM

At this point, I don’t understand how people still aren’t getting this. Maybe it’s just the overriding selfishness that is the guiding principle in America. Maybe it’s the politicized sources people use to get information and shape their opinions. The guidance for wearing masks is more about preventing transmission to others than it is about stopping the wearer from breathing in the virus, and simple non-medical-grade face coverings prove adequate at slashing R0 figures. If we could just all take this simple precaution then maybe we’d have football this Fall.

https://medium.com/incerto/the-masks-masquerade-7de897b517b7

Misconceptions

Jun 20, 2020, 3:46 PM

I am a dentist and am in THE absolute most dangerous environment one can be. I have a BS in Microbiology and I have to enforce this every day. We have to consider force reflected aerosols from someone's mouth when working. Not only does it come back at us but it disperses out in the surrounding air. Try watching a blast of spray paint from a can in your garage and see where it filters out and drops.

Lets talk about apples and apples. CoVid-19 comes in at a size of .01325 microns-give or take. A human hair can be about 20 to 100 microns. That's .0000020 meters or 20 millionths the size of a meter at the small end. An N95 mask filters 95% particles of .3 microns and above. Bacteria are mostly .2-.3 microns. Bacteria are living organisms with-for better descriptions-little brains and all cellular functions to survive as an individual cell. A virus is nothing more than a bag of basically DNA or RNA. It attaches to a living cell-lung cell for instance, and inserts it DNA/RNA which the healthy cell uses to create a gene. Without going into specifics, lets just say it is not a nice gene and does bad things to normal respiratory cells...making your body's immune system think the infected human cell must be eliminated. In it's most simplistic way, consider that your body's reaction to CoVid 19 is what causes the damage. It's more complicated but close enough.

No disrespect JPRICH Top Paw but I am so tired of hearing reasons for not wearing a mask. The facts are that
1 A N95 mask is best if properly fitted-it will filter out 95% of particles .3 microns or larger They should be reserved for healthcare workers. This works because virus is usually expelled joined to water molecules in some form, shape or fashion presenting a particle large enough to be filtered by an N95-but that is not an absolute.

2 A level 3 surgical mask filters from maybe-and I mean maybe- .3 microns but it does not fit securely like an N95. These are the medical grade ear loop masks you see.
Level 1 and 2 masks can also filter .3 microns as well. However it depends on moisture. Level 3 is most moisture resistant which effects filtration efficiency in humid conditions. What we breath is around 90 percent or greater in relative humidity. You can hold a good Level 3 mask under a faucet and the water will not go through. Level 1 lets moisture through as does level 2-so they are not as good if someone sneezes in your face.

3 Masks made from Aunt Suzy's table cloth, your favorite sweat socks or your favorite handkerchief will not come close to stopping something the size of a viral particle coming through to you. What they do accomplish is diminishing how much virus you may spit out as relates to a certain distance. You all have experienced sneezing into a handkerchief, which can be gross. Think how far all that nice infected snot would have gone without a barrier. Can viruses get through? Yes. Will you shoot them 20 feet-usually no-mainly a few feet at worst

Mask wearing is designed to be an ADJUNCT to social distancing, which people don't do either. Normal breathing does not produce much of an amount of virus coming toward you beyond 6 feet. Talking loud, screaming etc drives that up to 13 plus feet. Add to that, 84K screaming fans in Death Valley(not the high school stadium in Baton Rouge) sitting on top of each other providing you with aerosol from above, below and beside you-that’s a very nice bath. The good thing is that it is outside so air flow will help diminish localized concentration around you some-but not like if you are out on the golf course with a couple of buddies.

Yes-potentially you could contract it through the eye if someone sneezed virus in your eye. Our tears drain through a duct into our airway passages-so yes it is possible. I've not seen a study that can identify the risk percentage wise or even if someone other than a virologist, who worked for NBC, said that he got it that way from flying on an airplane since all his other precautions precluded any other route (wrong)

Your home made masks help your neighbor and his helps you. That is how this works. The greater number of people who wear masks/coverings leads to a greater decline in transmissible virus within a certain area around you. If you wear a mask, you help your neighbor and visa versa. If we continue to do as we have done-which for some is-"Ahh that's stupid, to hell with that", "It doesn't do any good" "They are too hot when you wear them", "I look stupid"(which you do but you are alive) then numbers will continue to climb

We knew case numbers would go since we test more but that is relevant only to a point. The bottom line is we opened up (which we had to do and hope people would be mature and responsible) and now new cases are going up. We have pool parties, we crowd into bars in FL(lots of people, small space, low ceilings and nowhere close to adequate ventilation), crowd together playing cornhole in a parking lot and on and on.

We are a society that has many who think nothing will ever happen to them. I smoke but I won't get cancer. I'm 200 lbs over weight but I won't become diabetic and have my body destroyed one organ at a time, have legs amputated or have unbearable nerve pain. I feel fine, I don’t need to take blood pressure medication for my 200/100 reading..or I’ll take it just every now and then. Watching TV is exercise-especially when I eat and smoke at the same time. I have no symptoms-I'm fine-unless you are an asymptomatic carrier and haven't been tested and go over and sneeze in Top Paw's face while you're not wearing a mask. He gets CoVid 19(God forbid)-how fine are you now? Would you feel good if you knew you gave it to someone when there were measures to diminish the chances? How about family members-how do you treat them? If you live together under the same roof if one gets exposed-so does the other.

I hear many in our circles quoting the Bible and holding it in arm as a sign that they know the truth of what Jesus preached. Well-what about the golden rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you? I’ve heard all the Apocalyptic chatter-for decades. Gorbachev was the antichrist since he had a mark on his forehead. So now God is visiting CoVid 19 on humanity as some sort of judgement. Guess what-humanity has visited CoVid 19 on itself-not only how it started, how it was spread, the misinformation, making it political and how it continues to spread. At the moment, we have one little thing we can do to help-wear a mask. That’s all. Can we actually do that one little thing or would we be better served sitting by the pool bitching about our politicians, the CDC, WHO, China, watching the news?-try finding truth and encouragement there! Let’s be responsible-lets be a positive let’s do the little things that make a big difference as there is NO big thing yet that will make a BIG difference. Your choice
Sorry Top Paw-I did not mean to offend you personally if you feel like I did. I have frustrated beyond belief since this all started because most people, unlike you, don’t think. They don’t have a logical reason to do or not do preventive practices. For many, its pick and choose-at best-maybe. I pray you and yours will be well and I hope Tiger Nation can do what it has been doing-the best and the right thing. Walking our ideals and not talking them.

Re: Misconceptions

Jun 20, 2020, 4:22 PM

I agree with you! Your own data says that the virus will pass though the masks (virus, 0.01325 microns, vs masks, 0.3 microns)! If you will subjectively look at what I have said, I have said that the masks are used by medical people for just the situation you described. It is for stopping the phlegm, blood and other contaminants that may be forcibly pushed out of the person by whatever means. N95s are the best mask for us, but should be saved for the medical staff.

All three of your points are supported by what I said...it almost looks like you did not read my post, or any of the replies to other posts!

You did not offend me, because apparently, you did not read what I said! I said that if you are going to be within 6 feet of a person, wear a mask. I said that if you are symptomatic, wear a mask, I said that if you are wearing a mask, and a person sneezes on you, it is good that you were wearing a mask, but immediately take it off and replace it.

Although many here never took the time to read what I said, and immediately attacked me, or gave "proof" that what I said was wrong (it only agreed with me), thanks for agreeing with me.

The author is correct and studies back him up

Jun 20, 2020, 5:54 PM

There is not one shingle study that shows that cloth masks or surgical masks stop the virus - including when worn by the virus host. Not one.

It’s also common sense as this virus is 10 times smaller than the holes in these masks. Surgical masks were meant to keep a medical professional from sneezing or coughing on you in surgery - hence the name. They were never meant to block the tiny microns in an airborne virus.

The worst part is normal talking causes the virus to be spread because the microns are so small and often people wearing the masks are shouting to be heard / forcing more of those tiny microns into the air.

Just don't get it do ya?

Jun 21, 2020, 3:14 AM

If I turn on a hose, I will shoot water out of it at a velocity which is based on pressure, hose diameter, friction, etc etc etc. and it will go a certain distance. If I place a rag over the end of the hose, the water still gets out but I cannot shoot the water near as far. That's how the CDC's logic works with their recommendation for a face covering. Surface contamination is not the main source of spread-airborne particle spread is. You see how much people adhere to social distancing and you see how much people are responding to the use face coverings. Guess what-positives are going up. Masks outside-not such a big deal unless you are in a crowd or a close gathering with people you are not usually around. Masks inside help you not soak your neighbor or his 90 yo grandma with your Co Vid 19. You can be an asymptomatic carrier. Get it? Now we have 23 positives on our football team. There is a whole lot of concern about not challenging your immune system enough if you wear a mask while at the same time saying a mask is no protection...is there logic in there when someone states those 2 assertions together?

Sorry for being a smart ### but this is freaking serious. It just hasn't dropped on your doorstep-yet...and I hope it does not.

Eventually with herd immunity and a vaccine we will overcome this. However, none of that is here yet--if it were the #'s would not be going up like they are.

We didn't have measles until some well intentioned but misguided people would not get their kids vaccinated. 15% of the cases are fatal and one in 4 have some neurological deficit left over. I'm sure the parents of a deceased or mentally compromised child really feel good about other people spreading potentially lethal diseases when they have a way not to do so or at least diminish it.

Geez-just get over it and be a little responsible.

Jun 20, 2020, 8:59 PM

Never have, will only where a mask when I get my yearly physical in August.

Even a simple 'non- physician' like me (but still with a brain) knows that there are good germs and bad germs. Most of the 'good germs' live in your lower intestine and aid in digestion.

If you insist of wearing a mask and keep social distancing and wash and sanitize your hands about fifteen hundred times a day, like is advised. Then we are living 'germ free' and at sometime we will have lower intestinal gastric problems.

Last week I drove from Atlanta to Memphis to get a dog. I know that's a long way to drive to get a dog. But if you think of it, (if the dogs free - to a good home and there are many scams for dogs since this Covona Virus (or beer virus as I like to call it. LOL). Most of the scams are out of Atlanta so I didn't want to pay any money for a dog. Even a pound dog cost at least $100.00 besides I am 65 years old and was more than ready for a 'road trip'.

As you may know, their are no roads that go diagonally there. so I covered 1/3 of the US on my road trip. Georgia west to Mississippi north to Memphis then from Memphis to Nashville and south to north Georgia. I just made a big circle.

In that time I stopped 6 times for gas and or food. Mostly in small towns.

The only masks I saw (at least 40 miles from a large town) were worn by people who worked for fast food places. NOONE at least 40 miles from a large town wore a face mask.

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic