Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision

Jul 13, 2016, 9:03 AM

Malzahn, who enters his fourth season as head coach of the Tigers program, said Clemson being the season opener opponent had “zero” to do with the decision.

HOOVER – None of the four arrested Auburn football players will miss any playing time for the upcoming 2016 season.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn confirmed the four players (Carlton Davis, Ryan Davis, Byron Cowart and Jeremiah Dinson) arrested on April 30 on misdemeanor charges of second-degree possession of marijuana won't be suspended and will be active starting in preseason camp next month.

“Those four young men made a mistake, we punished them and they won’t miss any time,” Malzahn said Monday at Southeastern Conference media days. “That’s behind us. They are four fine young men, and they made a mistake. I’m confident they won’t make any more.”

According to the police report, which was obtained by the Montgomery Advertiser on May 2 via a public records request from the Auburn city police department, the arrest occurred in the 100 block of E. Samford Avenue in Auburn at 8:20 p.m. Police report documents, via a public records requests, show the four Auburn football players arrested have a court date scheduled in Lee County Courthouse for July 21.

The arrest report details the arrests of the four players included police finding two bags of marijuana on the parties involved in the parking lot of the Southside Market convenience store. All four members of the Auburn football team were charged with second-degree possession of marijuana, which is a Class A misdemeanor in the state of Alabama that can be sentenced to not more than a year in jail and up to a $6,000 fine.
Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn addressing the media

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn addressing the media Monday at Southeastern Conference media days in Hoover, Alabama. (Photo: Matthew Stevens/Advertiser)

Malzahn’s decision confirms none of the players will be subjected to the university’s student-athlete drug policy. Malzahn refused to use a previous punishment for a similar situation in 2014 when the Tigers head coach didn't allow quarterback Nick Marshall and defensive back Jonathon Mincy to start the season opener against Arkansas. However, all three active players (Carlton Davis, Ryan Davis and Cowart) will be eligible to start the 2016 season opener vs. national runner-up Clemson on Sept. 3 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“Because I think it’s the right thing to do,” Malzahn said when asked about the lack of suspension.

Malzahn, who enters his fourth season as head coach of the Tigers program, said Clemson being the season opener opponent had “zero” to do with the decision.

Dinson is expected to sit out the 2016 season after he suffered three torn ligaments in his right knee and a severe dislocation of that knee in his first year at Auburn during in the 26-10 win at Texas A&M on Nov. 7. Dinson played nine games at the nickel cornerback spot in his freshman season and had 15 tackles but was inactive for spring practices.
Auburn is expected to lead off Monday at the 2016 Southeastern

Auburn is expected to lead off Monday at the 2016 Southeastern Conference media days at the Hyatt Regency in Hoover, Ala. (Photo: Matthew Stevens/Advertiser)

Carlton Davis is expected to be a starting cornerback heading into the upcoming 2016 season after starting nine games as a freshman last season. Davis was named a 247Sports.com freshman All-American and was Auburn’s first SEC all-freshman selection defensive back since Daren Bates in 2009. Davis’ three interceptions were the most of any SEC freshman last season.

Cowart arrived at Auburn last season after being projected as one of the nation’s top overall recruits in the 2015 signing class. In 12 games last season, Cowart had no sacks, six quarterback hurries and just one solo tackle and wasn’t the regular option in terms of playing time as he adjusted to the advanced level of college football in the SEC.

Ryan Davis is competing for playing time at both wide receiver and in the return game this fall after the former four-star recruit redshirted last season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/07/11/malzahn-none-arrested-auburn-players-suspended/86948352/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But getting fired at the end of the season if we have

Jul 13, 2016, 9:08 AM

another bad year had 100% to do with the it.......... ;)

Re: Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision

Jul 13, 2016, 9:12 AM

Didn't realize he had no class, no judgement nor any back bone. I do now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision- pass

Jul 13, 2016, 9:36 AM

give him a break. look up his wife on you tube. when you see the level of crazy he has at home you'll give him a break. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2016, 9:57 AM

So you're saying he has demonstrated a pattern of bad decision making?

Jul 14, 2016, 10:53 AM

My thoughts, exactly. There is a history of epic fail with him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2016, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision- pass ]

Then he may need to suspend her, too, indefinitely.

Jul 13, 2016, 9:15 AM

I'm still not sure why this is a big deal, other than the notion that there are other coaches that would have punished these players with suspensions and missed game time ... so therefore Gus should have followed suit. ??? Not sure I agree with that sentiment.

Unless the NCAA steps in and sets guidelines for these types of off season "mistakes" coaches and universities are left to make their own decisions. I don't necessarily think the NCAA needs to get involved, just saying unless they do, there will be no standard.

A lot of folks on here seems to think that Gus has somehow ruined these four men now by not suspending them from the first game of the season in September for something they did in April. Makes me wonder. Not sure if they endured any punishment at all, and if not, I certainly think they should have.

I just wish folks on here would let it go now. They are playing against us unless they screw up again.

Jul 13, 2016, 9:23 AM

I agree!!! If a player breaks the law, the law deals with it. As a coach, I am not the law. My job is to win football games with the players I have.......period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Thank goodness you are not the AD or coach at Clemson.

Jul 13, 2016, 7:13 PM

I'd prefer to win with integrity. It sounds like you are saying players should play no matter what illegal acts they may commit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2016, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision ]

I think the players and the coaches represent the university/college they attend and should be held accountable for their actions. These are young but grown men/ladies and know right from wrong. If they were not attending college and committed the same crime on the street, it is not any different.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't we have to send players home from the NC game...

Jul 15, 2016, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Malzahn: CU had “zero” to do with the decision ]

For the same offense?

Re: Didn't we have to send players home from the NC game...

Jul 15, 2016, 9:39 AM

NO!!! DABO CHOSE TO DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our players are held to a much higher standard than in the sec!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2016, 9:15 AM

Typical response from an SEC team. You can tell he's on the hot sseat this year and pulling out all stops. He's as dirty as the rest of the SEC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2016, 9:24 AM

Guys & gals... Auburn is not and will never be CLEMSON. Just as Malzahn is not and will never be Swinney.

Coaching is a lot like parenting - everyone has a different approach and set of beliefs. If Malzahn wants to run a program that doesn't hold its players accountable for their actions, so be it. But to sit here and complain and complain about what some other team's coach does or does not do in light of bad behavior?? There's no bigger waste of time.

its in these situations we see the true character of a coach

Jul 13, 2016, 9:25 AM

program, and league. And by case studies in the past for SEC teams, this shouldn't surprise a soul. It just erodes respect and integrity. At this point though whats the use in preserving that unless you're Vanderbilt.

Doesn't surprise me at all

Jul 13, 2016, 9:56 AM

He and Hugh Freeze are basically the same person. Both used a star high school player to get their first college coaching jobs, both have enjoyed their greatest success while under scrutiny over shady recruiting, neither has any problem recruiting guys who got kicked off of other teams, etc.

Said it before... Fine. NO EXCUSES!!!***

Jul 13, 2016, 10:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2016, 7:18 PM

If Dabo calls off the slaughter, I'm gonna be disappointed. Okay - I know Dabo will - but I would NOT. I would bury the Auburn program on The Plains.

btw: I have lost ALL RESPECT for Gus and his Auburn program. They suck it. I'm usually neutral for the Iron Bowl, but I'll pull for Bama until Gus is GONE (which might be after this year).

Jul 13, 2016, 9:55 PM

I'm confident they won't do it again, yeah right because this punishment was so severe this time. Let me know how that works. Gus is a disgrace. So glad Dabo and CU actually stand for doing it the right way. Go Tigers! Beat the he double hockey sticks out of the barn.

Way I see it is they play who ever they have or want.

Jul 15, 2016, 9:32 AM

Said before, saying again. I want zero excuses if we win games. Not that I really care what others think, a W is a W. But, it does allow us to see the true power of a fully functioning Death Star... err I mean Tiger Football team :) Besides, like someone said, I'm sure they have learned their lesson, because you know, Potheads can give it up easily when caught the 1st time.. or even fourth.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic