Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mailbag: Should Clemson fans assume Dabo Swinney's 'Bama-bou
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Mailbag: Should Clemson fans assume Dabo Swinney's 'Bama-bou

Feb 10, 2016, 10:39 AM

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/clemson-alabama-dabo-swinney-nick-saban-texas-recruiting-sec-stewart-mandel-mailbag-021016

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mailbag: Should Clemson fans assume Dabo Swinney's 'Bama-bou

Feb 10, 2016, 10:46 AM

I used to think he would, but like my wife says, Clemson is his baby! He is happy here and he is making the program his and developing it how he wants it to be which is perfectly fine with me. Most definitely Alabama would be hard for him to turn down. But I also think it would be hard for him to leave Clemson. The only way I think he would leave is if he felt he could pass the torch to someone he believes in and trusts. Perhaps if he were to leave in the near future maybe that person would be Venables.

Message was edited by: CUTigerBrew®

Sure we should worry. That's a no-brainer. Bama is UK/UCLA/

Feb 10, 2016, 10:46 AM

Boston Celtics/NY Yanks rolled into one as far as tradition. Plus, Swinney is a native and an alumnus.

At the same time, I'd feel good about him staying here. He's built something unique here, his kids grew up here, and who the heck would want to follow Saban's success?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure we should worry. That's a no-brainer. Bama is UK/UCLA/

Feb 10, 2016, 10:48 AM

I agree with you about following in Nick Saban's success. It might be easier for him to leave Clemson if he were the guy replacing the guy who replaced Saban.

Next Man uP...

Feb 10, 2016, 11:04 AM

As Coach D would say! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure we should worry. That's a no-brainer. Bama is UK/UCLA/

Feb 10, 2016, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Sure we should worry. That's a no-brainer. Bama is UK/UCLA/ ]

Dabo is the architect of the most successful football program in Clemson's history. As such, he has a little wiggle room at Clemson if there were ever any drop off in the program.

If Dabo was to go to Bama, he'd be expected to maintain them at the absolute pinnacle of college football and anything other than that would viewed as a failure.

Additionally, much of Dabo's and Clemson's success is attributable to the entire group of Coaches at Clemson. It is highly doubtful that he would have the same kind of magic combination at Alabama. Possible....but doubtful. I think he stays 10 more years minimum, as long as things keep going the way they are going.

When Saban got to Bama, there were few requirements for a

Feb 11, 2016, 9:43 AM

head coach. One was that the new HC would be the second coming of Bear Bryant and it has been since he retired. The other was to win most games and at least the SEC. Saban did that quickly. His replacement will start out on a hot seat and will have only a couple of seasons to get off of it. I'm sure Dabo could be good there but would that be enough? Bamas fan's expectations are as high as the Coots are low.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when dabo tells me to assume, i'll assume.***

Feb 10, 2016, 11:14 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I've found that it's almost pointless to argue about this.

Feb 10, 2016, 11:53 AM

Bama people (like the one who wrote the question in the link) cannot fathom how anyone would not crawl naked to Bama if offered the opportunity, let alone an Alabama native and alumnus. Impartial, mostly disinterested parties tend to follow the conventional logic...bigger program gets their guy. Clemson fans know better, but as soon as you try to explain it to a non-Tiger, their brains turn off and all they hear is "naive wishful thinking". So, until Saban leaves and Dabo is publicly offered and declines or accepts, there's not much point in arguing it.

No one knows Dabo like Clemson fans do. He has NEVER approached the Clemson job as if it were a Bama audition. He has owned it from day one. The culture is completely Dabo. The staff is completely Dabo. The coordinators and assistants are completely Dabo. His family is All Clemson...he has three sons and the OLDEST was about four years old when Dabo started coaching at Clemson, and was just maybe a year old when he left Alabama. They all bleed orange now. Everything about it is exactly what he wants. I have no doubt or fear about him staying at Clemson no matter who offers, and that includes the Bama or the NFL. The only thing that would change my mind is if the Clemson administration started butting heads with him, unreasonably.

Truly this is a non-issue to me...I almost hope it happens (Saban leaves and they offer Dabo the job) so that everyone can see that Clemson is not a stepping stone to anyone. Remember, we've lost one coach to another program since World War 2.

null

Excellent points and presentation!***

Feb 10, 2016, 4:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he went there, but he doesn't fit in there as a head coach...

Feb 10, 2016, 12:00 PM

Bama fans are like Ole Miss fans they worship Southern Aristocracy, and are stuck up. Dabo came out of poverty. Bama fans would eat him alive, for his upbringing. It was just recently a majority of Bama fans were calling Dabo to stupid to be a head coach. And don't forget Bama fired him, and Clemson hired Dabo when had been away from football a few years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he went there, but he doesn't fit in there as a head coach...

Feb 10, 2016, 12:24 PM

Yeah I was going to mention in one of my previous posts that Alabama fired him once before.

Re: he went there, but he doesn't fit in there as a head coach...

Feb 11, 2016, 8:43 AM

Don't try and spin that firing like there was malice against Dabo by Bama because there wasn't. He was fired with Mike Dubose and his entire staff. This was needed in order to start over completely for the sake of the program. Now, I don't know if he would accept or decline an offer to become Bama's head coach. It truly doesn't matter at this point either because last I heard, Coach Saban isn't planning on going anywhere... When he does decide to leave his job at Bama we'll see if Dabo is even considered as his replacement or not...

If Bama offered Dabo 7 million could we match it...

Feb 10, 2016, 12:35 PM

or would we?

I don't believe it's a money thing with Dabo.

Feb 11, 2016, 8:57 AM

I don't think we'd match the offer. I don't think we have to match an offer. Saying that, I'll say that just as passionately as we seek getting what we've paid for, we should also pay for what we get.

Being a perfect fit for Clemson is a tall order, Dabo is priceless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's too smart to follow Saban***

Feb 10, 2016, 12:39 PM

GO TIGERS!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic