Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama?

Nov 11, 2019, 1:16 PM

I say yes. They beat #4 and have no losses. Bama has a loss at home and have beaten only 1 team with a winning record. Let’s see where the bias plays into all of this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loving the Golden Gophers, but

Nov 11, 2019, 1:19 PM

Hail NOo!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Loving the Golden Gophers, but

Nov 11, 2019, 1:23 PM

Why? Just because they are Alabama?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama?

If the committee uses the same logic with Minnesota as they did last week with Penn St then YES!

The committee won't do that though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they use the same logic

wouldn't they be ahead of Clemson....?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If they use the same logic

Nov 11, 2019, 1:24 PM

Maybe. But at least both are undefeated

Re: If they use the same logic

Nov 11, 2019, 2:01 PM [ in reply to If they use the same logic ]

Yes

Nov 11, 2019, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama? ]

And that’s my point!

Nov 11, 2019, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama? ]

Unfortunately, there are simply too many ways of judging all of this and the committee, along with the AP and Coaches, seem to utilize many of them from week to week and team to team. There is definitely bias and there are definitely inconsistencies. Human nature. But I do believe if Clemson wins their next three, they will be in. Looking good for the Tigers.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:28 PM

Absolutely. No doubt!

I agree. Pac-12 makes it easy again with a least 1 loss each

Nov 11, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama? ]

The day there are 5 power five conferences with undefeated championships, it's gonna blow up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes..bama should have won their big game at hom

like minnesota did

Nov 11, 2019, 1:24 PM

No. They arent that good.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:25 PM

Apparently Penn State isn’t that good but the were #4

Nov 11, 2019, 1:29 PM

Yep, Penn State wasnt that good. Anyway, its like what Rex Ryan said on tv earlier....."Clemson would beat Minnesota by 40." The same would be with Alabama over Minnesota. They are trying to get the 4 best teams in there. It wont matter anyway, Minnesota wont be in the discussion when they decide anyway who gets in. They will still lose a game or two.

so wins and loses dont matter?

Nov 11, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama? ]

bama may be better...but wins and loses should matter..if we are going to say every game matters in college football then every game should in fact matter..bama lost their big game at home minn didnt

Re: so wins and loses dont matter?

Nov 11, 2019, 1:31 PM

They matter, but depends on the games and how teams look vs certain competition. Minnesota isnt the real deal.

They probably won't be tomorrow, but they'd eventually jump Bama if they continue to win.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:33 PM

They wont jump Bama unless Bama loses or Minnesota wins the Big 10. Minnesota wont win the Big 10.

I doubt it, but it will be interesting to see. As you said they beat #4 and have not loss. TV commentators said how valiant an effort Bama had in the loss, but they also looked poorly coached in the first half.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 1:27 PM

Sure did. And the have no resume either. Beat 1 team with a winning record.

Not based on any kind objective "eye test". Not the kind of eye-test that had Penn State ranked #4 either.

PSU simply isn't that great, and I tend to think 'Bama would beat Minnesota.

LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and 'Bama would be my Top 4 right now.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats the thing though

Nov 11, 2019, 1:30 PM

when does the "i think team A would beat team B" go out of the window though?..even with 3 loses bama would cream them but should they get in over an undefeated minn team even with 3 loses? losses have to account for something

Re: thats the thing though

Nov 11, 2019, 1:39 PM

As far as I understand the purpose of the CFP undefeated conference champions ALWAYS get in, that seems to be the ONLY thing we know for sure (or, think we know about this process).

I have no problem with team A getting in with 2 losses over team B with 1 loss if team A is clearly MUCH better (stats, schedule, etc...). If it's close, I think you gotta go with wins and losses to maintain the integrity of the process.

The CFP Committee's selection criteria is indeed a moving target.

I am with you...what is the deciding factors?

Nov 11, 2019, 1:42 PM [ in reply to thats the thing though ]

It is obvious that Bama would crush Minn.

SO WOULD CLEMSON...but they do not get the automatic benefit of doubt like Bama or another "elite" SEC school.

They keep saying that even with 2 losses, those schools should get in because they would beat someone else.

But let Clemson play one close game and win, and now all the sudden they don't deserve to be in because they don't play anyone. And due to that, we are not any good.

I CANT WAIT TILL THE PLAYOFFS!!! THEY WILL SEE!!!

exactly...its really all subjective anyway

Nov 11, 2019, 1:45 PM

bama most likely beats minn..but until they take the field we will not know. but what we do know is minn has handled their business bama hasnt

Nov 11, 2019, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama? ]

Bama would put up over 50 on Minnesota's D.

Bama beat 1 team with winning record

Nov 11, 2019, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Minnesota be ranked above Bama? ]

& last year doesn't matter. It is what you have done this year only.

WELL...THIS LOGIC APPLIES TO CLEMSON ONLY I GUESS.

Committee needs to decide, is accomplishments more important, or just pick whoever based on bias feelings?

If so, why put Penn St over Clemson?

People said we have no real way of knowing if Clemson is better than Penn St, so we are going to use their accomplishments.

But now, with Bama, they will say, WE KNOW that Bama is better than XYZ, accomplishments mean squat. Sorry Minn, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah.

WHY IS CLEMSON SO DISRESPECTED? THOUGHT ONCE WE SMACKED DOWN BAMA 44-16 THINGS WOULD CHANGE.

They should but if they played Alabama would be approximately a 20 point favorite.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:51 PM

Look at minn schedule. They have close games against poor teams

Nov 11, 2019, 4:52 PM

Are you saying they fall into the category that includes Clemson even though we only had one close win?

Of course. Why is there even a question?***

Nov 11, 2019, 1:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Of course they should.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:12 PM

But they won't be, for several reasons:

1. The CFP can't move Minnesota up too far from their #17 ranking last week. It would make their ranking look too incorrect.
2. They will say that Alabama's loss to LSU was a "good loss" since LSU is sooooo good and Alabama lost by less than a TD.
3. They will say something about the "eye test."
4. Because SEC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

no***

Nov 11, 2019, 5:28 PM

No, because Bama is Bama. They pass the eye test.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:33 PM

They'll get a free pass into the playoffs. That's sarcasm for those whose meter is broken.

When do we get the free pass? Won 2 of the last 3 Nattys, beating Bama in both. Does the Committee have amnesia?

The SEC torch could be passing to LSU...
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/lsu-took-alabamas-dignity-and-is-now-trying-to-take-their-recruits?mbid=nl_111119_daily_hitlist&CNDID=%%CUST_ID%%

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

YES***

Nov 11, 2019, 5:34 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 5:43 PM

ATM.........Yes

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Nov 11, 2019, 5:44 PM

Should they, probably so if it were not for last weeks rankings. I don't think that they can move them anywhere near that many spots because of 1 win. I don't see how Bama drops further than 4th for this week, though I think that they will keep dropping even if they win over the next few weeks. The committee put themselves in a bad position because of how they ranked teams last week.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:50 PM

I don't know, but a team that just lost should not be ranked as highly as Bama is. It's not like they looked that great.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic