Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Louisville signs a $40 million / 5 year contract with adidas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1,658

Louisville signs a $40 million / 5 year contract with adidas

Apr 17, 2014, 10:27 AM

I believe our current Nike contract is paying us $600k a year, the lowest of any power conference school that is outfitted by Nike. How come we can't do better??? Louisville is a big name, especially in hoops, but they are not Duke, UNC, or Kentucky.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10795147/louisville-cardinals-receive-40-million-5-year-deal-adidas

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How funny ! Bobby Patrino and Adidas.

Apr 17, 2014, 10:38 AM

Remember the old urban legend acronym.

Adidas.....All Day I Dream About Sex ! How true !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laugh all you want but the Louisville AD flat out gets the

Apr 17, 2014, 10:44 AM

J-O-B done! Can we replace Swoffie with this guy as commish of the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson absolutely nneds to re-examine its deal w/ Nike***

Apr 17, 2014, 10:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Adidas just lost ND as a brand school. I think Louisville

Apr 17, 2014, 10:49 AM

was at the right place at the right time when it came to outfitter negotiations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Yeah, I like Nike myself...

Apr 17, 2014, 11:02 AM

...but we signed a terrible, terrible deal. Is Louisville a "bigger" name than Clemson when it comes to marketing? Maybe, thanks to its basketball program... But it sure as #### isn't 8x what Clemson is. You could make the argument that they are equals, in fact, thanks to Clemson having a bigger/better football program.

I like Nike but we have to milk this apparel thing much better than we have been.

Bowden brought Nike to Clemson.....

Apr 17, 2014, 11:48 AM

back in 1999 (I believe). The current contract with Nike expires in 2015 so it's is not unreasonable to think that Clemson is currently in discussions with other apparel manufacturers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were Russell before that. Awful.***

Apr 17, 2014, 12:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Adidas recently lost Tennessee too***

Apr 17, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Adidas just lost ND as a brand school. I think Louisville ]

Not much to lose there. With Tenn or ND...

Apr 17, 2014, 11:53 AM

There was a time when both were a very viable product to have under your banner. Now, not so much.

Just not Under Armour...

Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 PM

...anything but Under Armour.

Preach!! Wait, can I say that?***

Apr 17, 2014, 12:12 PM

If UA wants to give Clemson a 5 yr./$40 million contract...

Apr 17, 2014, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Just not Under Armour... ]

I'd have no problem with it provided they didn't try to turn our tradition uniforms into something that resembles what high school teams wear like they've done with some other colleges or universities.

Re: If UA wants to give Clemson a 5 yr./$40 million contract...

Apr 17, 2014, 12:39 PM

Will never happen since they're run by a coot.

Actually, the founder, CEO and Chairman of the Board

Apr 17, 2014, 1:07 PM

for Under Armour is Maryland grad.

Kevin Plank was a special teams captain and fullback on the Maryland football team.

As the story goes, as a player for Maryland, Plank got tired of having to change out of the sweat-soaked T-shirts worn under his pads and jersey. He noticed that his compression shorts worn during practice and games stayed dry which inspired him to make a T-shirt using a similar moisture-wicking material.

After graduating and working from his grandmothers basement, Plank developed his first prototype of the shirt, which he gave to his Maryland teammates and friends who had gone on to play in the NFL.

Apr 17, 2014, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: If UA wants to give Clemson a 5 yr./$40 million contract... ]

ua owner is a Maryland grad and huge contributor, not a coot.

Apr 17, 2014, 1:05 PM [ in reply to If UA wants to give Clemson a 5 yr./$40 million contract... ]

Agreed... I'm just saying all things being equal, which I know they're not. Under Armour just seems so JV to me. Now, if they offer $5M and Nike or adidas or whoever comes back with $2M, then yeah, we would need to consider it.

Re: Louisville signs a $40 million / 5 year contract with adidas

Apr 17, 2014, 11:05 AM

I thought I heard our Nike deal was in the 7 figures but I could be wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2014, 11:45 AM

The current contract says we get $600k in cash and $400k in product (so $1M total).

If Baseball didn't have a deal with Russel, we would have a

Apr 17, 2014, 1:14 PM

better deal...A non-revenue sport is keeping the two revenue sports from making the $ it takes to prop up the rest of the athletic programs...That's why we have such a crappy deal with Nike...But hey, Jack likes Russell

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Baseball didn't have a deal with Russel, we would have a

Apr 17, 2014, 1:24 PM

I don't buy that. Baseball is not the reason our contract with Nike is garbage. When the deal was signed, baseball was receiving little to no television exposure. We also average, what, 4,500 fans a game? I believe it's one of two reasons:

1) That's our market value.

or

2) Clemson did a terrible job negotiating, seeking out alternate deals, or understanding where our deal stands in comparison to others'.

I tend to think it's probably a little bit of both.

Apr 17, 2014, 1:29 PM

or maybe it was an ok deal when we signed it but it blows now. guess it could not be something simple huh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2014, 1:34 PM

Fair. I think it was a 5-year deal that went into effect in July 2010.

Apr 17, 2014, 1:35 PM

methinks drad will get that bumped up

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nike isn't going to give us a big deal as long as we have a

Apr 17, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: If Baseball didn't have a deal with Russel, we would have a ]

deal with Russell for Baseball...Period...

Is that so?

Apr 17, 2014, 4:33 PM

Please explain why not.

What is there to explain? Nike pays more for schools that

Apr 17, 2014, 4:55 PM

uses them exclusively...Baseball prevents us from doing so...What are you not following?

Re: What is there to explain? Nike pays more for schools that

Apr 17, 2014, 5:50 PM

I'm not following your economics, mainly because you're not using any. You're making pretty dumb assumptions about a business you know nothing about. You are being simple. Now follow this:

You are trying to say that baseball and our contract with Russell Athletic is the reason we aren't getting anywhere from 3-5x the amount of money we're getting right now. If that was the case, don't you think we would have long since ditched that contract with Russell? We signed with Nike in 1999. How long do you think that contract with Russell is? We would have opted-out of that a LONG time ago if it had any bearing whatsoever on making more money with a more premium brand. You think we stay with Russell because it's cool? Because their uniforms are of the highest quality? No, we don't. We stay with Russell because of pure economics. Because the uniforms are likely cheaper and because Nike has zero interest in paying us more to outfit our baseball team. Do you know why? Because it does nothing for them financially. Because it is college baseball and Clemson baseball doesn't move the needle for them. They don't need it. Oh, but you say, FSU, Miami, and UNC have Nike uniforms! Yes, they do. Because those schools negotiated for that because they could: their brand names are big enough that Nike can't just cherry-pick the sports they want. Unfortunately, they were able to do that with us. They had leverage with us that they don't have with some other schools.

Wise up. Baseball is inconsequential to the bottom line. It is not the reason we are making peanuts. Just because you believe it to be doesn't make it so.

You think we PAY Russell for unis and then you say I have no

Apr 17, 2014, 8:44 PM

idea what I'm talking about?

While not the entire reason

Apr 17, 2014, 5:32 PM [ in reply to If Baseball didn't have a deal with Russel, we would have a ]

I have heard that is a factor.

I heard the big reason is Clemson's reluctance in the past to allow drastic uniform changes.

I was told by someone who should have known that when Nike did the huge Pro Combat debut during rivalry week a few years back (2009? We played in Columbia that year so ours was white) that although Clemson was supposed to get promoted like all the other schools and was to be included with all the other teams, but a disagreement between the school and Nike over the helmet nixed the deal. Eventually Nike agreed to go with the new uniforms and our normal helmet, but it was after all the promotional material was produced.

Apr 17, 2014, 8:34 PM

I just inked a $5.00 40,000,000 year contract with Buster brown. Thanks to everyone for making this happen.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1,658
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic