Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest opinions on current DT rotation???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Honest opinions on current DT rotation???

Feb 7, 2019, 5:09 PM

Just looking back over the years and the likes of Grady, josh Watson, Dj reader, pagano, Carlos Watkins, huggy, Wilkins, and Dex? Who steps up to fill those shoes? And do we load up on DL this cycle? Need more “ out the box” ready dudes and some depth IMO

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

very little depth on the DL moving into next season....

Feb 7, 2019, 5:24 PM

I’m sure guys will emerge but no way we put anywhere near the sack numbers or are effective at stopping the run as this past year. Tre Lamar staying for one more year would have helped out a lot but oh well....

Re: Honest opinions on current DT rotation???

Feb 7, 2019, 5:52 PM

Yep, we got really hurt with the injuries but belk was hopefully going to be the next big dex but that didn’t pan out. Plus with the contingent of Clemson people attending the zacch Pickens commit, everyone really thought he was a Tiger. He is a day one contributor.

After that, the pool was really thin for top ranked DT’s that fit for Clemson. Now, the flip side is the freshman coming in will have to grow up quick and we may end up being pleasantly surprised because of it.

Drawback is this- s&c. Doubtful they can get to the weight and strength for ideal starters. I can see us starting off like 2014 where we could get beat on the run. Good thing is we’ve got an offense that can score. That’ll help us a bunch.

If we can contain on passing downs, our DB’s should be much improved than the past couple of years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I am pretty PO d that the thinnest position on our

Feb 7, 2019, 6:45 PM

depth chart could have been filled by in state prospects like Belk, Pickens, and Wynn. 2 in our back yard. I really don't get it.

Clemson Will Be Stout At DT Next Year! Don't Worry!

Feb 7, 2019, 6:06 PM

Jordan Williams was a high 4 star coming out; who was athletic enough to play DE at times in H.S. 6'4 310.
Nyles Pinckney played starter minutes all last season as a RS soph. 6'1 305. low 4 star; but still 4 star coming out of Beaufort.

Those will be the likely starters!

Then you have Xavier Kelly RS Jr this coming season! 6'4 listed at 270 but he has added about 20 LBS i'm told. Athlete who's only fault was playing behind 1st round draft picks! He was also highly rated coming out of Kansas! It's his time to shine now! Been on campus 3 years and played behind the best.

Darnell Jefferies is the player I am most excited to see this coming season! He plays with fire and has above average athleticism for a guy his size. And is now reportedly, after a year in the S & C program at 300 lbs. Highly rated; highly regarded 4 star player out of GA.

Tyler Davis was one of the most sought after DT in this years class! He is immediate impact out the box contributor. 6'3 297; but i'm sure by the start of camp will be a lean; 315 lb player. Good skill for a big guy.

Plus, we have some guys who I think will be moving to the inside; that came in as DE's. The future up the middle of our defense is great!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 6:28 PM

Reminds me when the media said we wouldn’t be able to replace Beasley of Grady or a handful of others between 14-15. I honestly think Coach V is three or more moves ahead when considering scheme and personnel. We may play a team or two that gets the best out of exploiting our weaknesses, but I guarantee Coach V is better at leverage and wins those matchups. That and our road dogs got huge experience throughout the 18 season. Nyles grows up big as does Jefferies. Throw in Kelly and some frosh head-turners.... I say we are nasty. May be one of the hungrier defensive lines we field in the last few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 6:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t being negative but just a bit concerned when it comes to injuries. Can’t forget about cash either. Think he’s considering going inside too.

Not concerned about CBV covering any weakness, just inexperienced and depth more than anything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 6:48 PM

Injury is definitely relative. I say we get into 19 healthy even with our current spring injuries, but an unfortunate ankle or similar injury could be more harmful this year than in the past few. That said, I see the D line thriving, no joke. Probably sound crazy but I think these cats are waiting to bust out having been behind the seniors they were behind. Just think, these guys could have transferred into other P5 divisions/ teams but they stayed last year when the power rangers came back. They trust the system and the coaches. I think they get it and show us all an amazing showing in 19.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 7:02 PM

Let's not forget XT on the end. I got a feeling teams may put two blockers on him, opening up things on the inside.

K.J. Henry on the other side *

Feb 7, 2019, 8:28 PM

Nm

Oh BTW, in a game you aren't rushing if you losing!

Feb 7, 2019, 8:38 PM

If all goes as anticipated and the offense performs to their capability; teams will "have to pass it"! We will likely have a bunch of situations where extra DB's and DE's are on the field at the same time. Unless, "they just quit" and start running it to down the clock.
Before that happens though: "I have no doubt about the guys on the roster that are known and a few who are unknown right now"! A few kids I can see having to move to the inside for depth as well. Etinosa and Ruke are a couple 3 star DE who really excite me. They both are fairly raw to football; but the athleticism is off the charts. You have to think: "coach V and coach B are licking their chops to work with raw athletes like that; who have not developed bad habits yet"! Both have really good work ethics!

KJ Henry and XT I suspect will force teams to have to run up the middle where: V. Bentley will be waiting! Simmons! Oh man! Don't forget a DT often has to occupy blockers as his assignment on a given play! Bam and he's done. Our DT's are pretty much all 300 LBS. and can do that until the LB's get there.

Go Tigers! Solid defense coming to a stadium near you!

Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinions on current DT rotation??? ]

Sold me! Feel more comfortable now.

Feb 7, 2019, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinions on current DT rotation??? ]

A little bit different as we had known commodities as backups being promoted to starter in those scenarios. Our best backup also just graduated and went to the combine. Our next 2 up are hurt but think they will be great players. After that the cupboard is bare with XK and DJ unproven and the rest freshman. This is why I hate the Belk transfer bc he wasted a scholly on someone who was willing to invest last year. We have 2 on board in 2020 but need a few more to feel good. As long as everyone stays healthy they will be ok... but lost your top 3 DTs, all of which studs, will be difficult to replace quickly. Good news is offense can score 60 a game if need be.

Feb 7, 2019, 7:00 PM

I think our DT rotation is above average in 2019, but not at the elite level we are used too. Our DL put the team on their backs a few times in 2018. Seems like the experience will set us up in 2020 for another realistic shot at the natty.

Don't get me wrong...i think we win the ACC and make the CFP in 2019, but just not quite where we need to be in all three phases to win it all. Will be very pleasantly surprised if there's no real drop off and repeat.

Feb 7, 2019, 7:10 PM

Sorry , sir. There will be considerable drop off.

I've been hearing that for about 6 years now.

Feb 7, 2019, 7:14 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinions on current DT rotation??? ]

Ora said:

Sorry , sir. There will be considerable drop off.

Please define considerable. Please use data in doing so.

Looks like you have numerous.....

Feb 7, 2019, 7:22 PM

responses, but here's another.
Remember way back in 2018 when all the talk was the concern over the secondary. And
they turned out ok, right? And the D-line was being talked about as the best ever?
Well, looks like the table has turned.
Not saying this will be the best secondary ever, or even in Clemson history. But they
should be much improved in 019 giving the revamped DL a little help.
Probably like you, not much concern about the ends, but tackles....YES!

But here's the deal...
We do play in the ACC, and outside of A&M this team isn't going get much resistance until
late DEC- POs. By then, the guys up front should be alot better. As good at the 18 DL- Naa,
but much improved.
Clemson's offense in 2019 will be breaking every ACC record that exists, and maybe some
national records. SO good luck to the reg season with keeping up with the Tigers.

So is there some concern for the 019 Def tackles? Maybe some....
But there is plenty of help all around them.

Re: Looks like you have numerous.....

Feb 7, 2019, 8:14 PM

Well said. Good discussion and perspectives...

CW42 and DL90 both played a ton as Freshmen....so

Feb 7, 2019, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Looks like you have numerous..... ]

How good were those DL? Well, very good! In 2015 the Tigers gave up 125.7 rypg and but for an on side kick and a couple injuries( M. Alexander and Mike Williams) the Tigers smoke Alabamer!
IN 2016 129.6 rypg - oh btw, the year we won it!
2017 - 114.8 rypg
2018 - 96.27 rypg

Bamer over the same time period lead the nation almost each season averaging about 86 rypg! Don't think for a second we fall off to the point this trend doesn't continue. Our S & C program has gotten to a level that rivals bamers! To me - that is where they had been beating most opponents! In the weight room!

2014 - 103.3

2013 - 155.6

2012 - 156.5

2011 - 176.8 prior to Coach V.

Once coach V got "his recruits in" you can clearly see the difference! Sorry fellas; it ain't going to happen this drastic fall off. Pinckney, Williams, Kelly, Davis, Jefferies and Johnson will be more than serviceable! Grady Jarrett was rated a 3 star recruit by Rivals.com and the 41st best defensive tackle! "41st"! IT'S CALLED COACHING! We have an excellent coach. An excellent S & C program. And, we have had the luxury of bringing these kids on slowly! Which means they could afford to get stronger and faster while we contend for National Titles! The rich just keeps getting richer fellas! No doom an gloom at all about the DL.

Re: Looks like you have numerous.....

Feb 7, 2019, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Looks like you have numerous..... ]

responses, but here's another.
Remember way back in 2018 when all the talk was the concern over the secondary. And
they turned out ok, right? And the D-line was being talked about as the best ever?
Well, looks like the table has turned.
Not saying this will be the best secondary ever, or even in Clemson history. But they
should be much improved in 019 giving the revamped DL a little help.
Probably like you, not much concern about the ends, but tackles....YES!

But here's the deal...
We do play in the ACC, and outside of A&M this team isn't going get much resistance until
late DEC- POs. By then, the guys up front should be alot better. As good at the 18 DL- Naa,
but much improved.
Clemson's offense in 2019 will be breaking every ACC record that exists, and maybe some
national records. SO good luck to the reg season with keeping up with the Tigers.

So is there some concern for the 019 Def tackles? Maybe some....
But there is plenty of help all around them.

You seem to forget that dabo prefers to sub players in. Better in the long run, but bad for records

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic