Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looks like the NCAA is gearing up to create new divisions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,831

Looks like the NCAA is gearing up to create new divisions

Jan 17, 2014, 5:37 PM

Based off this article it would seem that the NCAA is going to take the 5 power conferences and create their own league/division. What's tnet's thoughts on this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-poised-to-create-separate-division-for-sec--big-ten--acc--pac-12--big-12-212725211.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like the NCAA is gearing up to create new divisions

Jan 17, 2014, 6:29 PM

Basedon what I read the NCAA is considering a seperate voting bloc for the five power conferences,and not their own league/division.
Just my opinion,but I think you either read it wrong ,or are trying to read too much into the article!

Jan 17, 2014, 11:00 PM

Maybe a little of column A, little of column B. I personally would love to see the 5 power conferences do one final expansion to 14-16 teams each, and play a 16 team playoff that way. With that in mind, you could in theory finally force ND to join a conference (because being an independent there won't do them any good), and would allow for us to pick up one final team to found us out. Same goes for all the other conferences. But if these power conferences were to separate from the rest of FBS and FCS teams, it would drastically alter the power scheme of college football. After all, it wasn't long ago that Big East Miami and Virginia Tech were things to be feared, and the Big East is now no more.

Jan 18, 2014, 9:40 AM

Question:Proposing a 16 game playoff,how many games do you play in the regular season.
12 games(regular season) plus 8 games is way too many.
10 games(r s) plus 8 might be more managable.
And do you have a championship game or just take the top 2 from each conference?

Jan 18, 2014, 12:56 PM

You have a point there, though exclusively taking the top 8 seems just too narrow a selection in my opinion but you do make a very good point. If it were expanded to a more manageable 8 team playoff, in my version, I would seed conference champions first, highest seed going to highest ranked champ. By taking the top 5 power conferences as seeds 1-6 (SEC, ACC, PAC 12, B1G, Big 12, AAC) and then a toss up for the last two spots between the highest ranked teams that weren't conference champs.

Based off that logic then, yes there would be conference games, but instead of taking a month off after them to prepare for a bowl game, why not just keep playing week in and week out? That huge break can mess up the timing of some teams, it allows for practices to still be held, and bowl season can still be going on for all the teams not in the playoffs. The only major concern you have to have with this format is that yes it is daunting in length, and yes injuries can happen. But we lost Peake and Kellen Jones to ACL injuries that weren't in games so the fact that something bad can happen when not in contact is a fact one must face even during the regular season.

I guess my whole thing is that 4 teams isnt enough scope for the national title. Thanks for the input though, those were definitely some points I hadn't considered previously.

Hey ND might wanna jump in.***

Jan 17, 2014, 7:31 PM

It's either that or the 5 conferences are going to

Jan 17, 2014, 8:09 PM

go it alone and shove the NCAA off on D2 schools. Personally, I like that idea. I don't care what the rules are as long as everybody is forced to live with them. The NCAA has become no more than a joke and a money pit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hate the idea***

Jan 18, 2014, 2:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,831
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic