Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looks like UGA is going to get
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Looks like UGA is going to get

Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 AM

Hershel Walker even though we have been in for him since the begining. Man, I can't imagine how Clemson will survive without him. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like UGA is going to get

Feb 5, 2013, 10:56 AM

I heard from an assistant coach's wife on the bus ride back from the Peach Bowl that Walker was a lock to Clemson. (That's actually true.)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must've been pre Trans Am***

Feb 5, 2013, 12:03 PM

And Hershel gets a new Trans Am & huge addition to his house

Feb 5, 2013, 10:59 AM

Not faulting Hershel since he was looking out for himself & his family but he was certainly in it for the money. He did become the first junior to jump ship (to the USFL) for the......MONEY.

Re: And Hershel gets a new Trans Am & huge addition to his house

Feb 5, 2013, 11:03 AM

True. But he never 'jumped for joy' in the Clemson End Zone. A place he never visited.

Why not fault him - assuming he did get a Trans-Am,

Feb 5, 2013, 11:04 AM [ in reply to And Hershel gets a new Trans Am & huge addition to his house ]

a new house for his family, and cash (and I believe he did)? Every recruit could use that excuse.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thats a whole different conversation. Players are taken

Feb 5, 2013, 11:12 AM

advantage of. They bring hundreds of millions into the schools & NCAA & get comparativly very little. The NFL/NCAA have an incredibly cheap farm system.

I love the college game & the way its set up just give the players a little taste of the revenue they are generating.

They players are benefitting. When you add up what they

Feb 5, 2013, 11:23 AM

get over the course of 5 years, it is easily in excess of $100,000 for each scholarship football player. When you consider Vickery and other items it is probably closer to $150,000 - $250,000. So, it is not like they are servants. Should they be "paid" more. It is debatable. Obviously Spurrier does an effective job firing his non-productive employees. At Clemson we tend to let them stay for all 5 years regardless of whether they are starters or never living up to their recruiting hype.

The other issue I have with the "taken advantage of" argument is why are people stopping with college? Many high schools (while less money) operate the exact same way. Shouldn't the 9th grader be getting paid too?

Re: They players are benefitting. When you add up what they

Feb 5, 2013, 11:44 AM

Actually, I think you're understating the benefits paid to student athletes.

* Out of state tuition = $30K
* Room and board = $8K
* Books = $1K
* Academic support = $5K

That's $220K for 5 years assuming no summer school. If you've ever attended summer school at Clemson, you know that it's about 20-30% athletes, which probably pushes the total to $250K, or about $50K per year per player.

That's $4.2M per year. Athletes in non-revenue sports don't attend nearly as much summer school. Maybe they have to pay for that. I don't know, so let's say that they get $45K per year. If we figure 85 women playing non-revenue sports at $45K per year, the cost jumps to $8M per year. The coach's salaries for all those sports probably total $6-7M at most with football being way over half of that. I'd say that they're getting a taste.

Re: Thats a whole different conversation. Players are taken

Feb 5, 2013, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Thats a whole different conversation. Players are taken ]

No player brings in hundreds of millions. The football programs from Clemson and usc-e bring in $50-70M per year including TV payouts from the conference and ticket sales. Running the program, which includes everything from bowl and away game travel to uniforms, trainers, scholarships, staff salaries, office space, and recruiting comes pretty close to the revenue number. Clemson operates in the black by $1-2M (total athletic department, not football only), which is put aside for facility improvements, repayment of debt, and reserve funds.

BTW, this is the way the numbers work for Clemson, who has a very successful athletic program. The numbers aren't nearly as good for other schools. If we "give the players a little taste", do we take the money away from other non-revenue programs? Do we take whatever profits the athletic department makes and split that up among all scholarship athletes? How about partial scholarship kids, or walk ons in sports that don't have enough scholarships to go around. How about walk ons on the football team who play on special teams or maybe only on the scout team?

Re: Thats a whole different conversation. Players are taken

Feb 5, 2013, 12:02 PM

I said players bring in hundreds of millions not any one player & not any one school.

What about all the merchandise? What about all the Sammy jerseys where he doesn't see a dime? Sorry, not buying the "they get a college education for free" is enough. Major college football is a farm system & the athletes should be compensated for participating in this farm system. How much & who gets what? That's another debate.

The players have no say in how a program is run. That's the responsibility of the Administration. You can't make it work financially then get out of D1 football.

Also football is supporting the non-revenue sports so why

Feb 5, 2013, 12:04 PM

can't they take some of the revenue they produce back?

Title IX just says you have to have equal number of sports. It doesn't dictate how you each are funded.

Again, if you are looking out for the athletes why are you

Feb 5, 2013, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Thats a whole different conversation. Players are taken ]

stopping at D-1 football. Obviously some schools make money on Basketball. Plus many FCS schools make money when you look only at the football program.

Also, what about Southpoint HS. Should they have been paying Clowney? I bet they made money (football only) while he was there.

You bring up jersey sales. What about the shirts that just say "Clemson" or "Clemson Football." I like Sammy, but I have news for you, I purchased just as much "Clemson stuff" bought the same tickets, gave the same to IPTAY before he came to Clemson. And surprise, surprise, I will spend just as much after he leaves. For me, that is the appeal of college football. The players change - it is the school's team that you pull for.

Re: Again, if you are looking out for the athletes why are you

Feb 5, 2013, 1:40 PM

There are many details to work out but yes, I believe college football players deserve some type of compensation for the revenue they produce. You feel a scholarship is enough. I don't. I think the NCAA, NFL & colleges are growing fat off the exploitation of college football players.

I love college football. I love the Tigers. Still I think the system is imbalanced.

As far as HS that's your ridiculous point.

There is an ongoing lawsuit over this very issue of using a player's likeness (jersey, name, etc.) & whether or not the player has any right to it. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

No - it's wrong. Period. Twist it around to try to justify

Feb 5, 2013, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Thats a whole different conversation. Players are taken ]

it all you want, but a player getting a car and a house and cash to play college football is wrong. Besides, as has been pointed out, the players get paid quite well with a college education.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He now has a restaurant

Feb 5, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to And Hershel gets a new Trans Am & huge addition to his house ]

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2013-01-31/herschel-walker-opens-athens-restaurant-super-bowl-sunday

Herschel Walker opens Athens restaurant Super Bowl Sunday

ATHENS, Ga. -- When the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens battle for the National Football League crown Sunday, Athenians will be able to watch the Super Bowl at the restaurant of a Georgia sports legend.

Former Bulldog running back and Heisman trophy winner Herschel Walker’s namesake restaurant will open to the public at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Herschel’s Famous 34 Pub and Grill will mark the occasion with a wings and ribs buffet to show off some of its 34 sauces while patrons watch the game on its six 60-inch TVs. Folks can also watch some highlights of Walker’s career, which sprawls from when he ran over Tennesee’s All-American safety Bill Bates in his first game as a Bulldog during the national championship season to a cooking show he did with Dover Downs, the company backing his restaurant.

Walker said in an interview he’s excited to again have a presence in Athens and more so to be building a place for people to work and for friends and families to meet in a city he said is like a home.

“I hope that this is the start of something great,” he said.

George Fiorile, vice president of DD Leisure Management Corp. out of Dover, Del., which owns the restaurant, said about a year was spent developing the unique menu that includes wings in a sauce of Doritos nacho cheese, chicken tenders sandwiched in banana cream-dipped French toast and an “Oh You Herschel Walker” grilled cheese — a concoction that’s a challah bread sandwich filled with bacon, peppers, mushrooms, onions and choice of meat and covered in melted cheese. But they also feature healthier fare, such as the Hail Mary Wedge salad and more, Fiorile points out.

The ingredients will come from Renaissance Man Food Services, Walker’s Savannah-based company.

He notes the iPads on each booth as well that let customers watch Walker’s highlight videos, search the menu, connect on social media and leave feedback for customers.

“This is the flagship,” he said of the concept for the new restaurant. “We want it to be terrific. We want to form that connection with our customer.”

Walker said this restaurant will represent his brand and that he wants it to demonstrate to people that if you work hard, be it at restaurants, athletics or anything else, it can lead to success.

“You can do anything, but you’ve got to work,” he said.

Walker helped the Bulldogs win the national college football championship in his first year as a running back for UGA in 1980. He went on to win the Heisman Trophy in 1982 and spend more than a decade in the National Football League. Walker’s athletic and personal accomplishments will be displayed on the windows and walls of the 110-seat restaurant, according to a release.

On top of the restaurant’s name, the offerings will also pay homage to his jersey number with its 34 sauces for wings and chicken tenders and 34 craft brews on tap, several of which come from Athens’ Terrapin Brewing Co.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

He's should call it Clemson's Goal Line?

Feb 5, 2013, 11:15 AM

Like he knows what that looks like.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like UGA is going to get

Feb 5, 2013, 11:18 AM

Walker took the Caddy over the Licoln. We were close. If we had just Had the Ice Cream machine a few years earlier!

Soft-serve Harcombe vanilla or chocolate?***

Feb 5, 2013, 11:23 AM

null

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like UGA is going to get Walker

Feb 5, 2013, 11:30 AM

bet this sucker never scores against Clemson, and

ends up in a reality show as a fighter after having a less than stellar career at the next level....

Less than Stellar?

Feb 5, 2013, 12:11 PM

He went to the pro bowl twice and averaged 4.2 YPC for his career, and then went to the Olympics as a bobsledder.

If you combine his NFL and USFL yardage he ranks in the top 10 NFL RBs of all time in terms of total yardage.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic