Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have always wondered why Bama and Ga dont play more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

I have always wondered why Bama and Ga dont play more

Oct 13, 2020, 6:13 PM

Someone yesterday (and sadly I forget who it was) posted this. It explains this. I heard an older relative mention it but I thought they were not serious. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/jan/03/why-dont-alabamand-georgiplay-every-year/460464/

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have always wondered why Bama and Ga dont play more

Oct 13, 2020, 6:20 PM

Alabama and Georgia cheating? Who would believe that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2020, 6:20 PM

It has more to do now with them being in different divisions. Auburn is Georgia's permanent cross rival and Alabama and Tennessee are permanent cross rivals.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2020, 6:22 PM

Now yes. But there hasn't been 50 years of divisional play. And that is about how far apart they are in games

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2020, 6:33 PM

According to Winsipedia interesting that Georgia and Tennessee avoided each other a lot before they split into 2 divisions. They didn't play for 6 or 7 years in the 80's. I guess the SEC only played 7 or 8 conference games even back when they were a 10 team conference.

Oct 13, 2020, 6:37 PM

There was a year or two in the Hootie Error that I think when we didnt play UVa. He needed them about 4 times a year back then

Oct 13, 2020, 6:42 PM

I think Georgia Tech-Tennessee was a big rivalry game (60's,70's). Probably more so than Georgia-Tennessee. They played every year for many years when Tech was in the SEC.

Oct 13, 2020, 6:23 PM

Alabama and Georgia cheating? Who would believe that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at it. The Two Most Dominant. Why Would They?

Oct 13, 2020, 6:39 PM

Obviously, I don't know this, but you don't think it was! "Hey, Alabama and Georgia are pretty much going to be the two best every year. Let's not beat up on each other too much and possibly cause each other to miss out on being voted #1"!

Maybe you get a split National Title!

You know the money they could make from this game is enormous! It would be almost as big as Auburn/Alabama!

Which brings me to another theory! What happens to little old Auburn if Georgia is the main rival of Alabama?

The whole scandal thing sounds good. But, it's been too long for that to be the case now i.m.o! Been wrong before(probably wrong now) just my opinion. But, this smells like something else going on.

Now a days - the SEC league office for example, does not want this match up until the title game. So it can declare both deserving of a spot in the National Title game(forget the playoffs, lol). Keep the image of the conference being strong top to bottom though only these two seem to matter most of the time. Florida if they get the right coach steps in too. LSU, mehh! Where is Phillip Fulmer for TN? Malzahn and Chezik and Cam! Everybody else, blah!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look at it. The Two Most Dominant. Why Would They?

Oct 13, 2020, 7:11 PM

When they determined cross division rivals back in the early 90s, Georgia wasn’t necessarily the best of the East. Fulmer’s cheating had Tennessee relevant (hard to believe for you young folks, but yes Tennessee was actually relevant at one point long, long ago). And Spurrier was dominating at UF.

I think it was just a matter of protecting the most important rivalries. UGA and Auburn was obvious. So keeping Alabama - Tennessee with their 3rd Saturday in October, cigar smoking tradition made sense. No one knew then that Tennessee was soon to descend to coot levels of mediocrity for two decades and counting.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic