Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Amazing what 1 of the announcers said Saturday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Amazing what 1 of the announcers said Saturday

Oct 27, 2019, 1:46 PM

There was a short feature on Bobby Bowden being on campus. Showed him meeting with Dabo & Addazzio & others.

One of the ACCN commentators said, "...And you know Coach Bowden never tried to 'run up the score' on opponents."

What BOBBY BOWDEN were they ever watching?? That was his trademark! Heard him say it many times through the years: "It's my job to score points. It's YOUR job to stop me. If you can't - that's YOUR problem - not mine."

Bobby didn't run up scores?? In what universe??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amazing what 1 of the announcers said Saturday

Oct 27, 2019, 1:52 PM

It’s the age of revisionist history. If you repeat it often enough it becomes reality, I.e. Clemson is having a below average season. See how that works?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...yep, heard that comment and my mind was searching

Oct 27, 2019, 1:54 PM

For a bottle to crawl into.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amazing what 1 of the announcers said Saturday

Oct 27, 2019, 1:55 PM

such an epic snake oil guy. all the scandals and criminal enabling with him. and the comments when trying to get Paternos wins vacated. I am amazed people have any use for him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't he quoting Dabo?

Oct 27, 2019, 1:56 PM

???

Re: Wasn't he quoting Dabo?

Oct 27, 2019, 2:02 PM

Yes he was.

Lol I thought the same #### thing. I used to have at least

Oct 27, 2019, 2:03 PM

respect for FSU till Wienke threw a 100 yard touchdown on us from his endzone while they were up by 50. Since that day there is no fate that can befall FSU that is bad enough for me. They could drop football and I still wouldn't be happy till their record was purged from existence.

Re: Lol I thought the same #### thing. I used to have at least

Oct 27, 2019, 2:17 PM

respect for FSU till Wienke threw a 100 yard touchdown on us from his endzone while they were up by 50. Since that day there is no fate that can befall FSU that is bad enough for me. They could drop football and I still wouldn't be happy till their record was purged from existence.

The Wienke 98 yard pass was in the 1st half - not when they were up 50. Bobby Bowden was good for college football. Lax on discipline but he didn't lie or try and justify it, just who he was - the only real Bowden coach.

Oct 27, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Lol I thought the same #### thing. I used to have at least ]

It was a 3-0 score when he threw that pass. And it’s still one of the greatest play action fakes you’ll ever see.

Oct 27, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Lol I thought the same #### thing. I used to have at least ]

It was a 3-0 score when he threw that pass. And it’s still one of the greatest play action fakes you’ll ever see.

I guess it depends on what "tried" means.

Oct 27, 2019, 2:07 PM

During the 14 year run of top 4 finishes in the polls, there were many games with 50+ point differentials. I don't think Bobby was ever standing on the sidelines in the 4th quarter of those games saying, "We've only got 60 points. Let's go for 80."

But, what he didn't do was send the third stringers in and tell them to go three and out. He let the second and third team run the offense and try to execute it to the best of their ability. Same with the D. He didn't tell Mickey to "Let them get a couple of first downs. Heck, let them score. We're too far ahead."

He did exactly what Dabo, and any good coach should do. Play as many people as possible and coach all of them as hard as you coach the starters.

One of his sayings was, "You win next year's championship this year." (You do that by playing the underclassmen and coaching them hard. You don't do that by letting guys slack off their effort when the score is lop sided.)

That's what Dabo has been doing for the past few years. Heck, if Venables hadn't been coaching all those DL hard last year while they were playing in blowouts, does anybody think they would be as good as they are this year?

When you are as good as FSU was in the 90s and as good as Clemson is now, "running up the score" isn't something you try to do. It just is the result of executing and playing up to the standard that is demanded.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well said! I agree 100%!

Oct 27, 2019, 3:25 PM

It’s always been funny to me, despite the machismo associated with football, that some people whine and complain about “running up the score.” Maybe it’s because coaches like Danny Ford typically just fell on the ball when the game was decided, but that was a dumb strategy IMO, for all of the reasons you stated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I guess it depends on what "tried" means.

Oct 27, 2019, 4:42 PM [ in reply to I guess it depends on what "tried" means. ]

Good comment.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess it depends on what "tried" means.

Oct 27, 2019, 5:05 PM [ in reply to I guess it depends on what "tried" means. ]

I fully understand & defend Dabo & his coaches' approach in making the most of opportunities provided by blowouts to play, coach, evaluate & develop their young talent. That isn't by any means "running up the score".
What's IS running up the score is when 1) a head coach leaves the starters in while up, say, 5 or 6 scores midway thru the 4th quarter; or 2) a team on its final possession of the game, up multiple scores, & deliberately tacking on one more score when it could've gone into victory formation & started shaking hands with the other team. With 1 memorable exception (the last UofSC game), I've never known Dabo to do that.

Never liked Booby

Oct 27, 2019, 5:16 PM

I was pretty young when the puntrooskie happened so I may be wrong but my impression at the time colored my opinion about him from then on. Does anyone remember it this way? After the puntrooskie got them down close to our endzone time was running out and Bowden called a timeout that they didn't have. This stopped the clock for a few moments while the refs discussed it. The refs didn't call a penalty on FSU for calling a timeout they didn't have and allowed them to kick a field goal to win the game. Without the stoppage of the clock FSU wouldn't have had time to kick the field goal and win. Am I correct? Or has my memory become fuzzy with age?

You are correct. He called a timeout he didn’t have

Oct 27, 2019, 8:08 PM

Should have been a penalty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now defend Jimbo***

Oct 27, 2019, 6:41 PM [ in reply to I guess it depends on what "tried" means. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Now defend Jimbo***

Oct 27, 2019, 8:00 PM

He got the house packed up quick when he had a chance to escape from Tallahassee...

Bobby would put the 1st team D back in if the other team

Oct 27, 2019, 8:02 PM [ in reply to I guess it depends on what "tried" means. ]

started to get close even up 50

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic