Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Location ! Location ! Location !
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Location ! Location ! Location !

Jun 5, 2019, 7:58 PM

We all are aware of location when it comes to the purchase or selling of a house. Schools, churches, our work place, traffic, noise, access to shopping and a host of other factors enter into the equation. I'm not planning to sell or buy a house so I have no worries in that area of my life.

But, there is one part of my life where LOCATION is an important factor and that is the location of the toilet tissue dispenser. During the last week or so, I had the necessary opportunity to visit several restrooms, both public and private. If there is one thing the government could do to bring a little more happiness into my life it would be to issue a mandate that all toilet tissue dispensers MUST be placed at a standard location.

In my younger days I was able to perform some degree of being a contortionist in accessing the toilet tissue but now I can no longer contort, or whatever movement is required to retrieve the tissue. It's somewhat like a game we played as kids, Hide and Seek. The installers of these dispensers have done an excellent job of hiding these devices that require me to spend a lot of time on the "seek" portion.

I have encountered dispensers that have actually hung from the ceiling, some so far behind me it was a two man job to reach the tissue. Some are on the left, some on the right, some forward of the commode and some to the rear. Some are installed so the tissue comes off the roll parallel to the wall and some directly from the wall. I'll not venture into the quality of the tissue because that may require the use of words not fit for publication.

Two incidents require a special place in my memories of bathrooms and outhouses. In an upscale private home many years ago, I failed to note the location of the toilet tissue until I ascended the throne. Looking around, there was no tissue in sight. How could a nice modern house not have a tissue dispenser? Did they not use or need toilet tissue? The need for tissue trumped all of my other thoughts. The only place I had not bothered to look was a little basket with a lid. I lifted the lid and there it was. I can assure you that finding toilet tissue in one of the most unexpected places can be one of the happy moments of ones life.

But the most memorable experience occurred in a hotel in Shrewsbury, England, some years ago. The toilet tissue dispenser was on the wall in front of the commode. That doesn't conjure up any exciting bit of news until I mention the fact the wall was about five or six feet in front of the commode. If I leaned over and extended my arm as far as I could, the tissue might as well have been in the next room.

Experience should be a valuable teacher but in my case I must have flunked the course because the first thing I should do when entering a bathroom is to locate the toilet tissue dispenser and determine how best to retrieve the tissue.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol another great life lesson from Mr Joe...

Jun 5, 2019, 8:49 PM

...that is so true. Thanks for the laugh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Location ! Location ! Location !

Jun 5, 2019, 9:05 PM

When you need it you have to have it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Joe! Joe! Joe! If it can be regulated . . .

Jun 5, 2019, 9:06 PM

. . . it must be regulated. And this particular subject of yours is REGULATED, both by your local building code (current edition) and also the Americans with Disabilities Act (c.1991, and subsequent updates). The attached diagram and paragraph, courtesy of the 2009 (since superseded by the 2017) ANSI/ICC A-117.1 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (a part of the Building Codes) explicitly describes where the toilet tissue dispenser can be located, totally due to the A.D.A. and accessibility issues. Of course, this only applies to new construction.

There may be locations in older buildings which have just never been updated. Or, in some cases, a building owner may have modified the dispenser location after the building received its original Certificate of Occupancy (very possible). Nonetheless, your friend, the U.S. government has toiled and toiled, spending unaccountable tax dollars in order to assist and assure you that the dispenser you seek is within your reach. (As to whether there is tissue left on that little card board tube, well, there doesn't seem to be a paragraph in the code . . . . . yet. Be patient. Give them time.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe! Joe! Joe! If it can be regulated . . .

Jun 6, 2019, 1:17 AM

New, or Renovated facility construction.... Accessibility of TP dispensers has long been a building code requirement in commercial and publicly accessible facilities. However, as an architect in South Carolina, I can say that it was a year, or two ago(?) that the State adopted a revised ADA Accessibility Code (see above) that not only requires larger water closet stalls, wider aisles and turn around space, and lavatory accessibility requirements, etc., but also requires EVERY toilet provided in the facility to be "Accessible" (one accessible unisex toilet was the norm, depending on the size of the facility, and number of fixtures required based on occupancy), but "the powers that be" never notified us architects and designers of the new rules, and I can't tell you the impact it had on current design projects when the building officials brought it to our attention (many of whom, themselves, were unaware of the change.) But, you know what they say about "ignorance of the law" and no excuses.... I was wheel-chair bound for 3-4 years of my life as a young child (in the early-mid sixties), and I obviously required some help in "using" the toilet, but neither I, nor anyone helping me complained about it - it was what it was, no alternative. Granted, today disabled people get around by themselves with far more accommodations than have ever been provided - and that is wonderful and necessary in today's culture. However, toilets that once were often provided in a corner of the building, or somewhere along a hallway, and were perfectly functional, have now grown into something approaching the size of parking lots. And today, it is what it is, not what it was. Yes, TP dispensers should be adjacent to the right, or left knee, depending on the plan, which is and always has been simple common sense. A rare commodity these days, for sale to the highest bidder, or something like that. (Rant over... and I guess "that's life on a crocodile isle".)

Go Tigers - and Joe21, may you always reach your goals!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 10:12 PM

Joe21, Only you could hold my attention that long on such a subject on Tigernet. Roll on my friend! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ummm...my apologies. I thought for sure that would show up

Jun 5, 2019, 10:23 PM

as ####! How did that escape the filters?

Well, I think you’re full of ####!***

Jun 5, 2019, 10:21 PM

Jun 6, 2019, 7:10 AM

My question is Joe, who helped you on the "two man job"? Must have been weird right?

Jun 6, 2019, 11:08 AM

Brings a whole new image to the term "the buddy system", eh?
Amirite? or Amirite?
(Yikes!)

Go, Tigers! BYOG!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic