Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Literally
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Literally

Mar 25, 2018, 10:57 PM

Is tops on my list to have cast from the modern American lexicon.
I cringe every single time someone utters it . It is not just overused in this country's vernacular, it has been driven like an old broken mule .
It's superfluous, it isn't needed .
Unless you are lying or perhaps speaking figuratively...you don't need to remind your listener that what you are describing is exactly what you mean to describe , word for word .

Stop it .

...and Go Tigers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

How about taking on the use of "germans" here first.

Mar 25, 2018, 11:59 PM

The use of "literally" doesn't come close to its abuse. Literally.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about taking on the use of "germans" here first.

Mar 26, 2018, 6:27 AM

Literally impacting language should never happen and should always be avoided.

Literally, Impacting (not a verb!), Never, Always. Drop all four! LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Literally

Mar 26, 2018, 6:25 AM

I love hearing someone make an obviously figurative statement; declare: "I literally", prior to said statement.

I literally just read that and responded.*****

Mar 26, 2018, 6:28 AM

Mar 26, 2018, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Literally ]

Unfortunately, because lexicographers (folks who make dictionaries) are descriptive rather than prescriptive the word now has two exactly opposite meanings in many dictionaries. In other words, people have abused and misused the word so often that the "wrong" definition is one of the definitions in the dictionary, thereby giving the idiots of the world ammunition in their continued abuse of the word.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 8:26 AM

I see that , but I don't accept it . If a word evolved to mean a single thing then how does it follow that it can also mean the opposite thing ?
I do not accept it .

No sir .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Just like the jounge is full of ghey people

Mar 27, 2018, 1:51 PM

is really referring the level of happiness?

I thought I was in the jounge

Mar 27, 2018, 1:54 PM

Why is this in Clemson Football?

Literally?

Mar 26, 2018, 6:51 AM

I literally don’t know

Re: Literally?

Mar 26, 2018, 6:59 AM

I literally don't want to TD you today on this . It is only Monday though , lets see how the week progresses .

DB23

Re: This entire subject literally gets on my nerves.***

Mar 26, 2018, 7:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TD...we have "Professional" journalist who do not know the

Mar 26, 2018, 7:49 AM

difference between the pronoun "Our" and the verb "Are".......I have even sent a couple of them nice,yet instructive emails. I cut and pasted one of their own articles where they "Literally" wrote,"What are are teams chances to win the game today?". If I had not previously observed instances where they had used "Are" for "Our", I would have given them the benefit of the doubt.But, having seen them write this on more than one occasion, I felt it was appropriate to send them a note. I also explained that I was sending it in an effort to keep them from continuing to look, well....stupid. I did receive a prompt reply. The author sent back, " You are the first person to ever mention it. I was not an English major. I hope the professional journalists I employ will do better". Yet, he continues to use "are" for "our" to this very day.

So, TD, I applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work while safely bringing all the things we spend our hard won dollars on from across the high seas!

Spud

Re: TD...we have "Professional" journalist who do not know the

Mar 26, 2018, 8:28 AM

Well you did a noble thing , Spud . After all , we are are brother's keepers .

??

DB23

I meant to say, "Professional" journalists.***

Mar 26, 2018, 8:51 AM

Ok, Back to work. I need to go sell something!***

Mar 26, 2018, 8:52 AM

R R***

Mar 26, 2018, 2:02 PM [ in reply to TD...we have "Professional" journalist who do not know the ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: R R***

Mar 26, 2018, 9:25 PM

LOL , took me two days to figure out what you meant . I didn't stay on the problem , but it kind of came to me while washing some silverware over the sink .

DB23

Mar 26, 2018, 7:53 AM

Is "illiterally" a word?

Mar 26, 2018, 8:30 AM

It is now .

You're gonna patent that , right ?

DB23

Here’s the thing....

Mar 26, 2018, 7:57 AM

...we ALL know that this type of phraseology is literally impossible to stop.

Re: Here’s the thing....

Mar 26, 2018, 8:29 AM

Totally .

DB23

Someone call a cop if Tigerdug23 takes another shower...

Mar 26, 2018, 8:34 AM

hanging's too good for him.

Leave the language alone, it's done you no harm; why do you hope to tether it so or hastened it to an untimely end?

Let us hope this is the last we speak of this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's Monday. Remember to be awesome.******

Mar 26, 2018, 8:43 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I #### awesome, just another day being, well...

Mar 26, 2018, 8:45 AM

me.

Good morning me & you too @metiger.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I literally hope your not driving angry....

Mar 26, 2018, 8:40 AM

Did DK slap you yesterday? Hope you weren't concusted? Is that a word? AI tried to turn it into confused. ????

Re: Hey, Dug

Mar 26, 2018, 8:49 AM

As soon as you get that one skraigt, how about teaching the igornants the difference between "their" and "they're". Seems to be as widely misused. Thanks for your help!

Mar 26, 2018, 9:04 AM

i agree it is overused but like you just said it distinguishes between literally and figuratively, and in some subjects and professions you have to make the distinction. Sales is a good example.

OMG!!

Mar 26, 2018, 1:37 PM

Is it dark time already?!?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you being literal?

Mar 26, 2018, 2:08 PM

You sound literal.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

And then, two phrases

Mar 26, 2018, 2:11 PM

I simply can't grasp:
Past history - when else would history happen?
Dead body - if it's not dead, it's not a body...it's a person...right
Fixin' to - come on, do we really need to 'verb'a verb?

;)

Whoa there hoss.

Mar 26, 2018, 2:17 PM

'Fixin to' is as right as rain.

You'll mash a lot of folk's buttons with that kind of crazy talk.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

TL;DR - literally***

Mar 26, 2018, 2:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: TL;DR - literally***

Mar 26, 2018, 3:56 PM
uep6v.jpg(107.4 K)

DB23

i don't like the word "basically" either.

Mar 26, 2018, 4:01 PM

let's get rid of that one, too.

Mar 26, 2018, 5:20 PM

I am literally amused how we abuse the word "literally", literally I am !!! But I'm not going to lose (loose) any sleep over the issue. (Insert a smiley here)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 7:16 PM

Joe21 .

What is the 21 ? Is it literally just a number or does it hold some significance in your life ?

DB23

Mar 26, 2018, 7:39 PM

Placing the 21 after Joe helps me remember the year I was born, otherwise, I would have to check my year of birth on my birth certificate should someone ask. To clarify a possible misunderstanding, it was 1921, not 1821,

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Literally ]

There is no end to any of this. Many words are used in a fashion that over states the issue. " I need to change out " this or that. Out?? So since many words have dual meanings, literally at, least, tells the reader to focus on the more obvious definition.

Shirley you are joeking.

Mar 27, 2018, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Literally ]

:)

LOL. I literally died when I read this ??***

Mar 26, 2018, 7:46 PM

R.I.P. Row86.

Mar 27, 2018, 1:12 PM

:(

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

not any worse than "clearly"

Mar 26, 2018, 7:50 PM

you can be sure if someone emphatically says "that was clearly a foul", or "clearly a catch", or "clearly out of bounds" ---- that's it's really not that clear.

At the end of the day

Mar 26, 2018, 7:58 PM

It’s literally hard to stop saying it

Every other day...

Mar 27, 2018, 12:10 PM

than WHAT?

I, literally, can not stand when someone states,

Mar 27, 2018, 1:11 PM

"I could care less" and "I seen ..."

Both statement indicate literal ignorance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Mar 27, 2018, 1:30 PM

The coots are losers, Literally!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 27, 2018, 1:53 PM

Dilly Dilly

Literally!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic