Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
those random creases you get in knit collars of polo shirts.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 504

those random creases you get in knit collars of polo shirts.

May 16, 2018, 8:45 AM

I hate them. Got a nice Orvis shirt, wore it and washed it once, now it has a crease in it. It's like somebody sneaks in, irons a permanent crease in it, and throws it back in the dryer. I prefer the gentle rollover of my polo collars. Polo Ralph Lauren seems to do it the least. What causes that anyways?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with

May 16, 2018, 8:54 AM

polo.

What ticks me off are dress shirts. Decades ago dress shirts were thicker. If you added a decent starching at the dry cleaners, they stayed wrinkle free all day.

But these dress shirts today are WAY too thin. Even the more expensive dress shirts are made of thin material. I tell them to starch the ever living #### out of them, and they're still wrinkled before lunchtime. I remember in high school I could wear a dress shirt 3 times to church before it was too wrinkled. I don't even get to the sermon today without it being too wrinkled to wear again.

My WORST peeve about polo shirts, and most knit shirts, is when that drop of burger grease falls and hits the shirt right on your gut. At that point you can chunk the shirt because that grease stain will NEVER come out. I have some cheap, Sam's microfiber khaki pants that are freaking awesome. They do not wrinkle. I can wear them right out of the dryer, and they do not stain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with

May 16, 2018, 9:03 AM

I personally like my nips showing through thin button-ups.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link?***

May 16, 2018, 9:04 AM

Re: Link?***

May 16, 2018, 9:19 AM

I'll be a dudley's tonight while the wife is out of town

May 16, 2018, 9:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2018, 9:24 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/mmmmmm-23502996

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

solution—buy Brooks Brothers no iron shirts.

May 16, 2018, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with ]

Eliminate the need for a dry cleaner, and they’re much thicker than most shirts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol

May 16, 2018, 9:13 AM

Like YOUR people can walk into Brooks Brothers without security being called.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

The cut of Brooks Brothers shirts is so terrible

May 16, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to solution—buy Brooks Brothers no iron shirts. ]

Might as well be wearing one of these

yep...i made similar comment below

May 16, 2018, 11:24 AM

but they're not as bad as the Ralph Lauren button downs that my BiL started giving me for bdays

full out pirate shirt. also, they're not terribly short, but it's like they decided to skip the last/bottom button on those shirts...the last one basically sits at my belly button, and then the rest of the shirt never really tucks/sits right

I don't wear them anymore, want 'em?

regular fit, yeah. Slim fit isn’t bad though.

May 16, 2018, 2:30 PM [ in reply to The cut of Brooks Brothers shirts is so terrible ]

I’ve gone mostly custom these days since it’s not much more and the fit is so choice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i remember you poasting it....but where do you get yours?

May 16, 2018, 3:01 PM

the 'custom' juans, that is

Brooks Brothers Non-Iron

May 16, 2018, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with ]

You UDP. Stays wrinkle free all day. Thicker shirts are sold in the fall and winter. Thinner shirts are sold in the spring and summer. Plan accordingly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

there an echo in this ####?***

May 16, 2018, 10:07 AM

I'm pretty sure you're in your 30's,

May 16, 2018, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with ]

but you sound old af. You long for the days of burlap dress shirts loaded with starch? I seriously don't know anybody under 50 that gets starch in a shirt. And unless I'm going to a bidness meeting in Minneapolis in January, give me thin and breathable all day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm pretty sure you're in your 30's,

May 16, 2018, 9:21 AM

at el shid we used to starch shirts so much you could wear it for 2 weeks wrinkle free. Can't get sweat stains when the shirt can't soak it up.

swamp a.ss was another problem tho

button down oxford cloth, light starch.

May 16, 2018, 9:31 AM [ in reply to I'm pretty sure you're in your 30's, ]

And dry cleaned khakis- they never wear out. Over 50, right in step with 80's fashion. Well, except no pleats or cuffs on pants, and no woven leather belt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't forget the hearing-aid-beige Rockports to

May 16, 2018, 10:08 AM

really bring the whole outfit together.

I actually had a pair of those in the 80's.

May 16, 2018, 10:27 AM

I think mine had shoestrings. when they came out, people under 70 actually bought them for a brief period.

Nah, skechers are the new age old man footwear

May 16, 2018, 10:32 AM [ in reply to don't forget the hearing-aid-beige Rockports to ]

fashion. Slip on, memory foam inserts...I'm pretty sure they have hearing-aid beige along with dull gray and possible a slightly bluish gray if yer feeling fancy.

rockport be bankrupt***

May 16, 2018, 10:39 AM [ in reply to don't forget the hearing-aid-beige Rockports to ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers sent***

May 16, 2018, 2:29 PM

Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron

May 16, 2018, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with ]

FTMFW.

OH, and move to a drier climate to prevent wrinkling as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've often wondered about those....usually coinciding with

May 16, 2018, 9:17 AM

when I get one of their brochures in the mail

I’ve got 6.

May 16, 2018, 10:30 AM

Two sets of 3 for $99. They work well for me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I need a new brand

May 16, 2018, 11:00 AM

the 'usuals' generally consist of where SheGUAR shops, as I generally don't care to shop for work clothes

Banana Republic - non-irons are great, until the left elbow gives out. They're moving more and more towards full-out 'slim fit' (which I.Am.Not.) in store, which only leaves few selections to choose from

Brooks Bros - not bad, pricier...also a tad 'blouse-ier'

J Crew - can't do it, have only found one non-flannel shirt that can contain these gunz. Their heavy-duty flannels are great cold weather shirts (a little on the short side, tho)...but not for an office environment

Gap - same deal, I'd accidentally @Lakebum1® them the second I bent my arm, and BEWM, sleaveless.

I wouldn't mind trying the Untuckd shirts...except you're looked upon as lepers here if you're not tucked

I know, I know...

Gotta be a skinny metrosexual or like the old man blouse

May 16, 2018, 11:37 AM

fit these days. Aint no shirts out there for a husky individual.

I wear JCrew ones typically but that is because I bought them 10 years ago and still wear them. They are all too short and i have to roll up the sleeves (White People, lulz). They all need ironing so I just put one in the dryer and pray I dont have an important meeting.

Wife got me a new JCrew shirt, washed and dried and I am 90% sure it is now an adult small.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats surprising. I assumed in budget they had for

May 16, 2018, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron ]

quality was consumed by their mass mail campaign

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why I'd like to see the PFG style fishing shirts

May 16, 2018, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with ]

become business casual accepted so that I can just go ahead and fill my closet out with various colors of those, and short sleeve Carhart shirts. That's all I would need. I usually just cut the sleeves off when they start getting a little worn and transition them to yard/lake/lounge around the house duty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have made them business casual***

May 16, 2018, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a good amount of people have done that at my workplace

May 16, 2018, 9:54 AM

but these are the people that are content with never advancing from the current position, or being taken seriously.

You work a good amount of people that are never advancing

May 16, 2018, 10:10 AM

from their current position, or aren't being taken seriously?

They're really the only shirts a man needs, maybe they have

May 16, 2018, 10:18 AM [ in reply to a good amount of people have done that at my workplace ]

the right idea. They probably go home and DGAF what any of the people at your office think about them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The past 4 months or so have been an eye opener to NGAF.

May 16, 2018, 10:25 AM

Since I now have a job I really don't care about, I do about 1/3 of the work and about 99% less worrying about it.

It's seriously changed my perspective on a lot of things in life, and what is worth my time and what isn't.

Sounds like an excellent time to make a Bahamas run***

May 16, 2018, 10:42 AM

It really, really, does.

May 16, 2018, 10:43 AM

I'm ready whenever who is driving needs a crew.

Y'all could meet us in the Keys and get a little taste

May 16, 2018, 10:47 AM

Also, you've got a tmail.

Which key are you going to?

May 16, 2018, 10:52 AM

Maybe I should drag the boat down there and do some tarpon fishing.

Problem might be with coming back, and not doing that.

Marathon

May 16, 2018, 11:00 AM

Bring her on down, still contemplating taking mine. I doubt I will, but with boat rental prices extending the drive hauling it almost makes sense.

OH, I'm in the same group, just minus those shirts***

May 16, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to They're really the only shirts a man needs, maybe they have ]

I bet nobody steals their stapler, though.***

May 16, 2018, 10:28 AM [ in reply to a good amount of people have done that at my workplace ]

J'know who makes a nice button down shirt?

May 16, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Cheap shirts will do that. You get what you pay for with ]

Overton.

MH Frank, Dumas in Charleston, The Men's Shop in York (RIP) and numerous other fine Southern men's clothiers will white label the Overton brand shirts and I have never once had a complaint as to the quality of their shirts. Nice thick shirts that don't wrinkle and resist staining as well as any I've ever owned.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pro Tip: Don't use the dryer

May 16, 2018, 9:14 AM

Wash as normal and hang them on a hanger wet. Press the collar down. Air dry.

#winning

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Nikes always been good to me for golf shirts.

May 16, 2018, 9:17 AM

I've got about 7-8 of their "tech" polos, which can resist piquing or any other wear and tear for years.

Buy cheaper polo shirts

May 16, 2018, 9:28 AM

wear once and throw it in the trash.
No washing, no drying, no wrinkles, no creases.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Surprising reply is surprising.***

May 16, 2018, 9:40 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to do that with underwear.***

May 16, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Buy cheaper polo shirts ]

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

That's what I do.***

May 16, 2018, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Buy cheaper polo shirts ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buy at good will

May 16, 2018, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Buy cheaper polo shirts ]

wear once and donate back to good will - price of shirt is cheaper than laundering them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

actually, the Orvis shirt was bought at Thrift Store.

May 16, 2018, 10:33 AM

Orvis donates returns, defects, overruns, etc to them. I think I paid $4 for the brand new shirt.

Orvis is funny, they make some really nice stuff, and then they make some stuff that appears nice until you look close. They have a full-price store downtown I go into sometimes, all their stuff is spendy.

we now live in a disposable society

May 16, 2018, 9:55 AM

no articles of clothing (besides leather items like coats/shoes/belts) are made to last more than a couple years tops anymore.

We wanted everything cheap.

May 16, 2018, 10:11 AM

Thats what we got.

Nike/UA saw that people would pay $75 for $5 quality

May 16, 2018, 10:32 AM

and the jig was up. This has now spiraled over to other brands.

Pretty much have to go to a golf pro shop to get anything of somewhat lasting durability anymore. Even there you have to be very selective.

this is so true. Now you have to buy high-end to get OK

May 16, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to We wanted everything cheap. ]

stuff. Don't get me started on furniture.

Agree on both counts

May 16, 2018, 10:45 AM

Everyone wants to be rich, but no one wants to pay anything for what they buy.

That can't last forever.

Untuckit has wrinkle free polo and dress shirts.

May 16, 2018, 11:14 AM

They just added a few comfort fit shirts too ( that's not what they call them, but they are 1 1/2 inch wider than their regular fit).

Fit and quality of Carbon 2 Cobalt is good too.

May 16, 2018, 11:27 AM

Price isn't cheap, but quality seems good and fair variety of shirts.

Replies: 57
| visibility 504
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic