Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Run the Ball: Elliott focused on giving Tigers best chance to win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

New Story: Run the Ball: Elliott focused on giving Tigers best chance to win

Dec 24, 2015, 7:01 AM

Run the Ball: Elliott focused on giving Tigers best chance to win

Winning football teams run the football. It’s been that way since the game was invented, and it will always be that way. That’s why co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott sticks with the running game – even when it isn’t working – and he told the media last week that the Tigers will have to run the ball with some level of success if they want to knock off Oklahoma next week. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Run the Ball: Elliott focused on giving Tigers best chance to win

Dec 24, 2015, 7:12 AM

Make them bleed from the mouth ! GO Tigers !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Like the persistence - it seems like our OL will eventually

Dec 24, 2015, 7:18 AM

take over the line of scrimmage even if it is not until the 2nd half. I am not worried about DW4 and our O, and if the D takes over like I think Venables will have them prepared to do, TIGERS WILL WIN!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like the persistence - it seems like our OL will eventually

Dec 24, 2015, 7:31 AM

Love the persistence would love got us to add a couple of different formations to our package. Like the Oklahoma diamond.

If Gallman runs mad, he'll get 250 yrds

Dec 24, 2015, 7:23 AM

Like he did in several games this year. You can tell when he's mad, because he starts getting big chunks of yards.
GO TIGERS!!!

Run? Pass? How about commitment to mixing the plays?

Dec 24, 2015, 8:06 AM

We have been more effective when we're not predictable. If the defense knows what's coming, they can stop it... if they don't, well the offense will usually win when it's a guessing game. Chad Morris started off hotter than a two-dollar pistol, but as soon as he became predictable (and stubborn), his effectiveness dropped off. I like what the co-oc's have done so far, and hope it continues.

However, I think the key to this game will be whether the defense can keep its focus. They have shown a disturbing habit lately to let down once the offense gets a working lead. Hopefully CBV can get their attention!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His Logic could create many 3 and outs against OK...

Dec 24, 2015, 3:40 PM

I couldn't agree more...Dwelling too much on the run has caused the team to begin games with too many 3 and outs during the first half...I prefer the logic of using the pass to open up the run when necessary... They are set to stop the run...why play their game?

Run the Ball: Elliott focused on giving Tigers best chance to win

Dec 24, 2015, 8:24 AM

Be aggressive in play calling--keep the ball away from OK's offense, and they'll have a hard time matching our scoring. We've got the best QB in college football--trust him to make good decisions and watch him go!

Re: New Story: Run the Ball: Elliott focused on giving Tigers best chance to win

Dec 24, 2015, 8:39 AM

I think the Co-coordinators (Co-Cos) get it. They compliment each outer. That seems to hold down the stale signal calling for Co-Cos, vice one guy. 600 total yards last time out. 600!!! Just keep going guys!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2015, 9:21 AM

Tony Elliott strikes me as a pretty smart, maybe even cerebral guy. I suppose the offensive production kinda makes me look like a master of the obvious, eh?

Dec 24, 2015, 9:00 AM

Maybe OK. will put 8 in the box after reading this article. LOL !

Dec 24, 2015, 9:25 AM

Really hope he's not in that position staying with something
that's not working
The run games is more than running between the tackles
Rather have him thinking we're going to do what ever it takes to get the "W"
take any/all that OU is willing to give
Run-Pass-Trick Play

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We couldn't run at all against OU in the bowl last year

Dec 24, 2015, 9:45 AM

The outcome was pretty good. I agree establishing the run is important. But I still don't know about OU's secondary and I would give Watson a chance to light them up with deep passes.

Different year, OL and Gallman is better - persistence pays

Dec 24, 2015, 10:02 AM

off! GO TIGERS!

Sometimes, you have to PASS to establish the RUN!

Dec 24, 2015, 1:59 PM [ in reply to We couldn't run at all against OU in the bowl last year ]

Let's keep an open mind and do what's necessary to establish the WIN!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We tend to run the ball 90% of the time on first downs.

Dec 24, 2015, 12:34 PM

too predictable. We need to use some play action passes to loosen them up.

Dec 24, 2015, 1:12 PM

The rushing numbers from last year's game are very misleading. We had 32 sack yards; our running backs were only stopped behind the line twice for a total of 3 yards of loss (Gallman had one for -2, Howard one for -1). Gallman had 19 carries for 55 yards (2.89/carry) with five of those runs going for 5 yards or more.

We used plenty of backups when we got up big. Dye took over for Gallman with 7:43 left in the 3rd when we were up 34-0. Howard took over for Dye with 0:07 left in the 3rd up 40-0. Davidson took over for Howard with 5:52 in the 4th with Shuessler replacing Stoudt at the same time. Olson was in for Shuessler on our final drive with 3:31 left in the game and Davidson still at running back. Dye, Howard, and Davidson had 13 carries for 19 yards (1.46/carry). By the end of the game, we were on our 4th string running back, 3rd string quarterback, and I'm assuming we were fairly deep on our O-line depth chart as well.

All that to say, we were nowhere near as bad as 42 rushes for 68 yards.

Let me get this straight...

Dec 24, 2015, 4:01 PM

What didn't work last year (running the ball - 68 yards) when we beat them by 34, is the only way we can beat them this year?? Makes a lot of sense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Unless I'm misremembering...

Dec 24, 2015, 4:23 PM

Before last year's game we also talked about running the ball. But OU was defending the run and leaving single coverage a lot, so we took advantage of it. To an earlier post, Tony is very cerebral and adept at taking advantage of what a defense is giving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic