Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier settled for USC(jr) longs for Florida
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Spurrier settled for USC(jr) longs for Florida

Aug 22, 2013, 7:38 AM

friends close to OBS say he wishes he had never gone to the Redskins. He was very happy at Florida and his heart is still there. When got fired in Washington he felt he needed a job and the desperate Coots threw so much money at him he had to say yes.

I've been to Gainesville and Columbia. It's an easy choice to want to live in Gainesville.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spurrier settled for USC(jr) longs for Florida

Aug 22, 2013, 7:49 AM

> friends close to OBS say he wishes he had never gone
> to the Redskins. He was very happy at Florida and
> his heart is still there. When got fired in
> Washington he felt he needed a job and the desperate
> Coots threw so much money at him he had to say yes.
>
> I've been to Gainesville and Columbia. It's an easy
> choice to want to live in Gainesville.

That's simply not true about SOS longing for a career return to UF. He's been there; done that. Thomas Wolfe was right.

SOS is 'in the middle of the (SEC) pack' re: income from coaching. However, when he retires - years from now - USC will lay out a package for his replacement that will be in excess of what the HBC is making at that time. The new alumni horde will insist on it. Can't relax.

Aug 22, 2013, 8:42 AM

He's the 3rd highest paid coach in the SEC behind only Miles and Saban and 8th highest paid coach in all of college football. Where did this myth that Spurrier works for anything less than full market value at SCAr come from? I'd argue he's overpaid. Of the 7 coaches ahead of him they all have 4 national titles at the school they are at, 1 is Urban Meyer who is undefeated so far at Ohio State, the other 2 at least have multiple conference championships and at least 1 BCS bowl appearance. South Carolina has absolutely nothing to show for his tenure. Of course, it is awfully sweet of you to pay him so much for all his success at Florida.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2013, 10:45 AM

Exactly!!! His 8 years with the coots, and not 1 sec championship, not 1. For his 3.3 mil a year at usuc, he has averaged winning 4.3 sec games in his 8 years. Spurrier is getting way more out of usuc, than usuc has gotten from Visor head. Maybe Dabo was onto something when he said that he would be looking for a job with Visor heads record. But with the coots past, Visor head is a deal at 3.3 mil a year in cola. With their past, I know why they are bragging so now. To them, they have won the big deal of the decade.:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2013, 7:51 AM

Rather interesting since he was still be paid by the Redskins and negotiated in the early stages to be one of the lowest paid coaches in the SEC. He is still one of the mid level coaches by SEC standards.

Don't think the throw money at him statement makes sense but whatever makes people happy.

Facts are a funny thing when you get emotion involved.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Talk about emotional posts...kcknchkn...LOL***

Aug 22, 2013, 9:14 AM

Other than the fact that you completely made this up, it was

Aug 22, 2013, 7:52 AM

a GREAT post.

11/10
#impressive
#weshouldprobablywinagameortwobeforewetalktoomuchjunk

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2013, 8:09 AM

So he doesn't even want to be here and kicks the crap out of Mr All In every year. That's got to suck for you.

Good lowered I thought I had logged onto the Tiger Boards on

Aug 22, 2013, 8:12 AM

the Tigernet this morning. Somehow I wound up in the chicken coop?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yeah, you should have worn shoes too.

Aug 22, 2013, 8:27 AM

That's not mayo between your toes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2013, 8:24 AM

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wasn't money that drove Spurrier to Columbia....

Aug 22, 2013, 8:53 AM

it was his over-inflated self-serving ego.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

yep...it was the challenge..

Aug 22, 2013, 8:57 AM

and the meth.....don't forget the meth

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That...

Aug 22, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to It wasn't money that drove Spurrier to Columbia.... ]

and the Augusta National membership.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Aug 22, 2013, 8:59 AM

Actually he was well below average SEC when he came in and gave money like Dabo to other coaches. He has been compensated more over the last few years due to getting him more in line with what he has done accounting for wins.

What would Clemson pay for a coach taking them to back to back 11 win seasons? Never happened at Clemson so we will never know.

More importantly, Clemson has the tradition so what would a school with an overall .500 win loss record like USc pay after a coach took them to back to back 11 wins seasons. His pay is much in line with anyone who could turn around a .500 program in the SEC. Think taking Kentucky to back to back 11 win season beating Bama, UGA, Fla, TEnn multiple times over the last 3 years.

Pretty ridiculous topic for Tigernet

Scar has never won a title nor gone undefeated so we will never know what OBS could potentially make***

Aug 22, 2013, 9:17 AM

The funniest thing is that he hasn't won anything since he

Aug 22, 2013, 9:12 AM

left Gainesville! He's been mediocre and got so low, that he ordered 5th place rings knowing that it as good a it will be!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

He is $CU's version of Tommy Bowden....

Aug 22, 2013, 9:27 AM

minus the character, morals, and integrity.

The ONLY reason $CU fans have not ridden him out of town on a rail is because of his success against Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

??? THIS, IS THE TRUTH!!***

Aug 22, 2013, 9:50 AM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2013, 9:39 AM

Why are we talking about this?

Re: Why worry? Clemson fans chanted in unison that they "***

Aug 22, 2013, 9:47 AM

Re: wanted Spurrier when it was announced that SC might..

Aug 22, 2013, 9:50 AM

hire him head coach....they got him.

And with him being SCs "Tommy Bowden", Clemson fans seem very pleased that he is down in Columbia beating them every year, SC fans don't seem mind very much....

So EVERYONE IS HAPPY, why worry.

Yeah, there's that little thing...

Aug 22, 2013, 9:52 AM

Lack of Institutional Control.

It's the one time that USuCk actually benefitted from being in the SEC.

It's not like you have a choice.....

Aug 22, 2013, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: wanted Spurrier when it was announced that SC might.. ]

NO conference championships

No BCS Bowl appearances

While you do have those nifty fifth place rings, a long list of arrests and two NCAA pobations, beating Clemson is the ONLY thing you have to hang your hat on so you cling to it like grim death.

Re: Like I said...Clemson fans seem to be such worrywarts...

Aug 22, 2013, 10:04 AM

SC fans seem to be happy with...

Beating....

Alabama
Michigan
Nebraska
UGA
UF
UT
Arkansas

and of course the yearly Clemson wins...so everyone is happy!!!!

That and .50 cents got you a nifty fifth place ring....

Aug 22, 2013, 10:10 AM

I'm glad you are content with medicority but then again medicority is pretty much the pinnacle of your programs history.

Some programs aspire to achieve bigger and better things like earning actual championship rings.

Re: it seems to upset you much more than SC????....have you.

Aug 22, 2013, 10:32 AM

looked at where mediocre SC team has been ranked for the past 4 years? Hint.....it is always several spots above a certain team who "aspires to so much more"..

I guess SC fans will just have to cope with a mediocre

-Top 10 rankings
-New Year Day bowl wins vs the nation's top programs
-Sweeping the SEC East.
-Yearly wins against UGA, UT, Clemson.

Rough...It is a hard life, but I guess SC will just have to waddle thru....

Not everyone can bask in outlasting Duke, BC, Wake, and GT for a "trophy".

There you have it. You guys are celebrating, commemorating

Aug 22, 2013, 10:44 AM

and coronating. We're madder'n hell and aspire for more.

Rejoice. You deserve it. Your university's athletics deserves it. Mediocre, for you guys, is heaven. I have no idea how old you are but, what I do know is, your lifetime, as a coot fan, has been misery. MISERY. You deserve to be 5th place, dammmit!

Not nearly as much fun as watching the grasping at straws...

Aug 22, 2013, 12:21 PM

by Clemson fans when things are going horribly wrong.

Yep..love all those poems, recitations and memorial videos to the glorious "4 and 16" in the ACCCG were surely fun to see...oh wait, that was in the Chic-fil-a Bowl so somebody needs to take those down as reminders of the mighty failure which was Clemson football 2012....Opps.

Look it understandable, when things are not going well, people have to look down the list to find anything to smooth the wound....so somebody passed along the lone Clemson ACC title in 25 years from a couple a years ago....it might hurt more if Clemson was a title machine, but otherwise I guess most will have to live with being a Top 10 national team. Oh well.

You mean like that lone Championship banner....

Aug 22, 2013, 1:25 PM

thanm hangs in Williams Lice Stadium which reads;

"1969 Atlantic Coast Conference Champions"

I guess you're right, when things are not going well, people look down the list to find anything to smooth the wound.

and ABSOLUTELY ZERO championships....

Aug 22, 2013, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: it seems to upset you much more than SC????....have you. ]

Of course you can bask in the glowing light of beating Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri and other than those nifty fifth place rings, you have nothing else to show for it.

Hey...I'm glad you're comntent with medicority. It is, afterall, a step up for you.

Some of us just expect more.

Re: and ABSOLUTELY ZERO championships....

Aug 22, 2013, 11:03 AM

I guess last year was a complete failure for Clemson then since they didn't win a championship

Comprehension. Work on it.***

Aug 22, 2013, 11:06 AM

Actually....

Aug 22, 2013, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: and ABSOLUTELY ZERO championships.... ]

Clemson was co-champion of the ACC Atlantic Division last year.

how did you know that ? the fact we had a page long thread

Aug 22, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: and ABSOLUTELY ZERO championships.... ]

about half the bored being ticked that our conf. hands out division co-champion banners/ and trophies, and our athletic admin put the banner up, with an asterisk(*). i don't mind sharing the co-championship, as we kinda, a little bit, maybe, earned it some , but fsu beat us head-to-head so i can see the nay-sayers pov,too. you will never find that kind of thought-provoking,intellectual banter on any usuc bored, i'd be willing to bet. heck, they'd shoot their partner to even sniff another championship, esp. if there wasn't that nasty old seccg after that ( yeah, we remember the auburn game)!

Re: it seems to upset you much more than SC????....have you.

Aug 22, 2013, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: it seems to upset you much more than SC????....have you. ]

You have an eye for teams that were rebuilding and y'all finally took advantage of that. I've seen many years when the coots couldn't even win over teams in rebuilding stage. That's right, the coots have been rebuilding for about a hundred years.:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like I said...Clemson fans seem to be such worrywarts...

Aug 22, 2013, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Like I said...Clemson fans seem to be such worrywarts... ]

USUC!!! And your own sec conference won't even talk FB to you. I guess that is why you and the other heathens from over at coot central come here to try and get conversation by bragging about your coach and conference. Your own conference affiliates won't even talk to y'all. In fact, I've heard them say that y'alls chest beating was almost over b/c Tenn, Florida, and the rest of the sec rebuilding teams are about finished rebuilding. And they will gladly beat usuc back down to the bottom of the sec where you belong. Your conference HATES you chicks.

Golly gee, I wonder what would happen if he really tried!*****

Aug 22, 2013, 9:54 AM

Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 AM

Hasn't done anything since he has been there....

Let's see

beat # 1 Bama - never done before by either in state school

Beat historically national power program Clemson 4 in a row

beat UGA 3 in a row - never done by either in state school

beat Tenn 3 in a row - never done by either in state school

won 11 games back to back - never done by either in state school

Ranked consistently in top 25 for record months only current teams Oregon, Stanford, Bama, South Carolina

Seems he has done more with USC (a mediocre team historically ) than has happened at Clemson since he has been there. Oh I forgot beating chests for an ACC title which is a big deal so no title in Columbia but I think they will take it.

Done nothing?

Aug 22, 2013, 10:08 AM

BIG CU Fan you have too many posts to be this blind?

Now obviously you hate the other in state school but to say they have done nothing.

No titles in Clemson from 91 - 2011 does that mean Clemson had done nothing since 91?

Does "doing something" only count if you win a championship? Well then both of my schools have been hurting for most of my life. I better cancel the Iptay and Gamecock club donations because my teams have done nothing.

beating a good Fla St team, beating Tenn in the Chick Fil A, beating LSU in the Chick Fil A, finishing in the top 25 several times over the years but no title equals to nothing for Clemson during that phase?

USc stats above, I would say with both schools ranked in the top 10 they each have plenty to hang their hats on

Aug 22, 2013, 8:56 PM

I'll bite on this one. Yes, Clemson did "nothing" for the years you referenced. Which is why those years were so d*mn exasperating. Adding to that exasperation was the fact that we had a couple teams who were pretty dang good - but we had a coaching staff who consistently overlooked key opponents and focused on a rivalry game - at the expense of other game planning. While I won't argue that Dabo hasn't given USUc his best shot, there is absolutely no denying that Clemson is getting special attention from the OBsack and he has given special attention to Georgia his entire career.

Mack Brown was on XM College Sports a few weeks ago talking about the new playoff system and was lamenting that if strength of schedule isn't heavily factors in that it was going to be bad for the sport. He complained that a lot of coaches are only game planning/coaching for 2-3 games a season as it is now. I don't bring it up because I think Brown is the end-all-be-all but because if the coach of the University of Texas admits that coaches are only actually planning/coaching for a few of their 12 games a year it is a lot more commonplace than I think the average fan realizes. Now which two games do you think top Spurrier's list? You might be able to beat us more often than not that way, but you'll also stumble every time in pursuit of anything greater. It is the same catch-22 we had with Bowden - which is why I've compare them in the past.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL looks like you struck a chord.

Aug 22, 2013, 10:14 AM

+1

Aug 22, 2013, 10:24 AM

Big CU Fan

I will be in Columbia Thursday and hopefully smiling by Friday morning.

I will be in Clemson on Sat and hopefully we are both smiling Sat night after that game too

We can both be fans of our school, I just happen to think it is silly to blindly say nothing positive is going on with the school in Columbia

Old news ... move along

Aug 22, 2013, 12:40 PM

Ever since his stint in Washington it has been rumored by those "close" to Spurrier that had he known then what he knows now.....etc etc etc etc he would not have left Gainesville.

If rumors and speculation are true, it is not a knock on the University of South Carolina or Columbia. Spurrier had it good with the Gators. He had won them a championship and was worshiped by the fanbase. And at the time, the "Fun 'n Gun" was still a unique offense.

The speculation at the time of his departure was that the man did not enjoy recruiting and hence why the NFL would be a nice fit. It is probably easier to recruit at Florida than South Carolina. If given the choice, I would think 9/10 coaches would prefer being at UF rather than USCjr.

But I give Spurrier credit for sticking with the Gamecocks. He is no Petrino. And he has built them into a very competitive program and a consistent winner which no other coach in the modern era can say about USCjr. If he could ever find an elite quarterback, they could do a lot of damage. But then again, many programs can say the same thing.

Full disclosure: I was raised on the coast of Florida about 100 miles from Gainesville. Had I stayed in state after high school I would have been a Gator. Instead I elected to become a Clemson Tiger. So I don't have the hate for Spurrier that many have on this board. But I do have the general lack of respect for the Gamecock football team. Columbia is pretty nice in the good neighborhoods. If Spurrier wants to go topless at practice, go for it. He is a Floridian at heart, and we native Floridians do that kind of thing around our double-wide trailer homes.

Nothin stirs up a bunch of liars like a good lie of your own***

Aug 22, 2013, 12:43 PM

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic