Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question For Football Geniuses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,499

Question For Football Geniuses

Jul 8, 2019, 3:46 PM

If, a big if, you could somehow stack an option team with the similar level of 4 and 5 star talent at both skill and line positions as Clemson, would you have a viable offense that would put up top 10 offensive performance?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many QBs...? That's a dangerous scenario...***

Jul 8, 2019, 3:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question For Football Geniuses

Jul 8, 2019, 6:18 PM

Yes, you would, if..... you had tremendous RBs who had speed and cut-back ability (with a FB lead blocker), you had a QB who could scramble, read the D and make any (and I mean ANY) throw..... and an O-line that could run-block Green Bay Sweep like no other and a TE who could block, run routes and catch like nobody's seen..... and another TE who could run a seam route while the SS TE pulled coverage. If you could do that, you would own football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Our own Coach Brent Venables has proven that if you

Jul 8, 2019, 6:28 PM

play disciplined defensive football, covering your "assignment" on each play, you stop the option cold.

It is a preposterous "what if" question anyway, because you would NEVER get a whole group of 4/5 star receivers to sign up to play in that offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lighten Up Francis, Please Don't Ever Use Preposterous

Jul 8, 2019, 7:18 PM

on this board. It's DT pal take it easy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lighten Up Francis, Please Don't Ever Use Preposterous

Jul 8, 2019, 7:55 PM

Some people suggest the "greatest team ever" was the 95 Nebraska Corn Huskers. They ran the option out of the "NEBRASKA I". It was nothing for them to put up 70 points on an opponent. All before RPO was ever a thing.

To answer: sadly, I think with the way coaches recruit speed most of the option stuff would not work consistently enough to keep you out of obvious passing downs! Once in uncomfortable down and distance; most option teams are less than stellar.
As suggested; I can't see you getting enough dominant pieces to ever do it though.

Disclaimer: *** part of me thinks in theory it would work "NOW"! Why? Because defenses have adapted to where they have more speed but also "lighter in the paints players"! Run straight at all that speed - get your hands on those lighter players and take'em for a ride. But, you would practice that offense everyday and not the spread/pass happy ones. You would get behind early then be forced to pass! Passing would not be your strong suit! Hard to see it working! Wish it would; b/c I love the strategy of it. I use to had cut blocks when I defended it; but watching it on TV isn't so bad, "LOL"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speedy players don't necessarily help against the option. We

Jul 8, 2019, 9:07 PM

didn't get good at defending it until BV drilled into our guys heads that they HAD to "stay at home" and cover their area, instead of trying to guess where the ball was going to go and fly there.

And, apologies, I should have said "moot" instead of preposterous. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Option football in CFB...?

Jul 8, 2019, 9:24 PM

Danny Ford and Rodney Williams say hello.... Rodney was one of my all time favorites, he would hold onto the ball until the very last possible moment, and subsequently get absolutely trucked, but get back up and keep on doin' it. And btw, he could actually pass the ball pretty darn well - I still love the Citrus Bowl vs. Penn State, way back when.

Go Tigers!!!

Sorry, but I have to scrongly disagree with you there.

Jul 9, 2019, 9:24 AM

I personally think Rodney took a couple of National Championship teams and turned them into 10-2 teams. He had a nasty habit of trying to jump up into the air before he threw the ball sometimes, and most, if not all of those balls wound up getting caught by the other team. The fact that he held a lot of Clemson records just shows you the amount of talent he was surrounded with. I'm sure I will get slammed over this, but, if we all had the exact same opinions, life would be pretty dayum boring.

Jul 8, 2019, 9:25 PM

If the OL can control the line of scrimmage, the offense can move the ball however they want.

Just ask Rimington and Steinkuhler... Oops!***

Jul 9, 2019, 6:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 9:25 AM

Ask Nebraska.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,499
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic