Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lets use this snowy day to reflect on things ....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,694

Lets use this snowy day to reflect on things ....

Jan 31, 2020, 3:08 PM

At the beginning of last season I posed the question to all of you , would the rise to greatness that Clemson is enjoying cause other programs to improve their status as a football team? Most of you answered in the negative and didn’t believe the Tigers would encourage others to get better on the gridiron. This year in particular the league has taken more abuse from the media that at any time in the past that I can remember. You all saw that every single day! There has been several coaching moves in the last few years by ACC teams that indicates to me that the various athletic administrations do in fact expect their teams to get better quickly. Was this not created by the success that Coach Swinney has had at Clemson? Of course it was. It will not be accomplished in a year or two but I assure you that within a few years you will see the ACC compete at a level closer to or equal to the powerful SEC. The days of our Tigers winning twelve games every year will soon come to an end. With the amazing success that Swinney and his staff has had recruiting, it will not be easy for Florida State or Louisville or UNC and others to dethrone the Tigers but it sure is going to be fun to watch. This next decade is going to be something in the Atlantic Coast Conference. I’m ready.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you'll see...

Jan 31, 2020, 3:17 PM

programs like FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, Louisville and maybe North Carolina and Virginia undergo a resurgence which, in my opinion, is long overdue.

That said, I think the other programs in the league (Cuse, Pitt, BC, Duke, NC State, Wake and GT) will remain status quo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I think you'll see...

Jan 31, 2020, 3:26 PM

BC has a new coach so they are trying to right the ship. If Brice ends up at Duke, as I expect, they will improve quickly.
Their coach is noted for developing quarterbacks and he will have a lot to work with in Chase. No excuse for Syracuse not being better but they are what they are. State is a hopeless case but the SEC has a couple of those too. Pitt has a chance I think and WF isn’t a terribly bad program for a small school. Soon we can boast of our football teams but not tomorrow!

Re: I think you'll see...

Jan 31, 2020, 8:53 PM [ in reply to I think you'll see... ]

I am not sure about loueeville and UNC. I'm sure Mack will help some, but don't know if it can be sustained. Both schools are Basketball schools and UNC fans,alum, just don't support FB . They support BB. Always have and always will. Loueeville is a recent entry into trying to become better in FB. But like UNC, BB is king.

So, I think Miami, VT, FSU, and CU are going to be the strength, with a couple others making a showing of winning 9 games every few yrs. That is in line with the SEC. Cutcliffe at DUKE is pretty much doing it alone at Duke. BB will always be king. WF is just too small to attract top talent. W/O top talent, you cannot win more than 7-8 games. And the 4 teams I mentioned will siphon the top talent away from the rest of the ACC. There's just not enough top talent available when the perennial top 10 schools are getting it.

JMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lets use this snowy day to reflect on things ....

Jan 31, 2020, 10:09 PM

I'd like to know where it's snow.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2020, 7:39 AM

Hey Kerigan, it snowed for about an hour yesterday in downtown Greenville, and up to 2 hours in other parts of the county like Travelers Rest and Mauldin. Apparently Pickens & Oconee counties had some accumulation and let school out early.

Feb 1, 2020, 9:25 AM

Had a little here in Seneca too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 31, 2020, 11:58 PM

Mike Norvell is going to turn FSU around. You can put that in the bank. They should resume being a legit rival to us. I expect them to become a consistent top 10-15 team. However, time will tell.

I respect Dave Cutcliffe tremendously but his best years at Duke are behind him.

Mack will run out of gas at UNC in a year or two (maybe this year). Not much gas left in the tank.

Manny Diaz is a nice fellow. But I already knew after his stint as defensive coordinator at UT he isn't head coach material. He's probably got 2 more years (max) at The U and he's out the door.

Satterfield has a chance to do well at Louisville but he will be plucked away quickly if they excel.

It's really too bad FSU is in our division. The only program in the Coastal that clearly has a bright future is Bronco at UVa. I doubt they will become good enough that beating them in the ACC title game helps our scheduling cred.

Bottom line is the ACC will never become what many here want it to. Personally, I don't give a care. The only thing that matters to me is running the table and making the CFP each year. People can point fingers at our easy schedule, but if we perform and win championships every year or two, let 'em point and whine.

Dabo's got us in rarefied air and this plane is about to go even higher whether the ACC is terrible or average.

Feb 1, 2020, 9:20 AM

We still the the strength of schedule to be better. Only other ACC teams can help with that.

Feb 1, 2020, 7:54 AM

It seems to me that the real issue is top 25. We always have a significant number of schools have winning records and make bowls. What we need is for two or three to break into and stay in the top 25. UNC and Virginia could start that next year. FSU and Louisville need another two or three. Duke and Pitt could work themselves in there off and on.

The ACC is not nearly as bad as portrayed. We just need a few more names at the top and the conference will be fine.

I would also add that it is extremely rare for schools to consistently be in the top 25 in both football and basketball. As much as we love football here, we are in a predominately basketball conference. I would like to see Clemson grow into a school that can be top 25 in both regularly.

Feb 1, 2020, 7:59 AM

lol, I am just waiting for the clouds to clear and I am going to the beach.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^Bish....

Feb 1, 2020, 8:49 AM

That is all...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,694
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic