Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's talk attic insulation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 439

Let's talk attic insulation

Jun 2, 2020, 4:39 PM

anyone have good numbers on the ROI of beefing up the insulation in their attics or crawl spaces with respect to any energy savings?

part of the conspiracy theorist in me doesn't trust the Owens-Corning ROI calculators, and the way the internet is rolling these days I don't want to search for anything.

I live in an older house that can't hold temp for ####. would like to understand if adding insulation would be practical and/or worth it.

sorry for the distraction of ripping people apart via message board or the tweeters, trying to figure out how to stay cool as it heats up round here

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heated sq footage, electric or gas, last 3 mo bills

Jun 2, 2020, 4:44 PM

# of people living in residence, # of grow lights operating 247 and watts/ea, avg temp setting heat and air, tid pics.

thx

Re: Heated sq footage, electric or gas, last 3 mo bills

Jun 2, 2020, 4:52 PM

- 2200 sq ft ranch, small electrical AC unit, gas heat
- last 3 month bills aren't bad but it's heating up and not staying cool
- grow lights are solar powered, duh
- temp setting is fluctuating to find optimum energy consumption / temp in the house (#nest)

honestly might have a compressor issue. my knowledge of cooling is only with industrial freezer applications (ammonia mostly), but this old AC unit was before the previous owner expanded the house. any pro tips to check this?

lint trap is clear, blinker fluid is like 60%, window motor spfitzer valve was just cleaned, etc.

Doesn't sound like your issue is insulation

Jun 2, 2020, 4:55 PM

So, no, that won't fix it. Waiting for payment.

Do you use Duke Energy?

Jun 2, 2020, 4:46 PM

If so, they'll send you a list of contractors that will tell you to spend $2500-lord knows how much to foam this and insulate that all for $200 in rebates from Duke*

This time last year my took hours to move off of 77-78 degrees. I knew the insulation wasn't awesome but my bigger issue was the supply elbow had separated. My crawl space felt like a meat locker while the house a sauna. Fixed it right up.

These numbers may not be exact as my memory can't recall that good and I didn't look them up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope - ATLien so Souther Company. Thanks for the pro tip tho***

Jun 2, 2020, 4:54 PM

Adding insulation is the best ROI

Jun 2, 2020, 4:46 PM

Regular or blown insulation. Don't let them sell you on the foam insulation, or the crawlspace encapsulation. The spray foam insulation works better but has drawbacks. For starters, it increases the temperature of your shingles, and shortens the life of your roof. Second, you will not be able to find leaks, and by the time you do, it will take major roof work.

Encapsulation of the crawlspace also saves energy, but is expensive also. Unless you have a mold or moisture problem bad in the crawlspace, just add insulation there as well.

That being said, if you do spray foam the attic, and encapsulate the crawl space, and add solar panels, you will hardly ever have an energy bill again ;)

Only set you back 40-50K.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't really speak to energy savings

Jun 2, 2020, 4:50 PM

but if you torture your enemies in the attic, the sound barrier could help keep the peace in your neighborhood, and stop the HOA from issuing a formal admonishment.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A solar attic fan helped our house immensely in the summer

Jun 2, 2020, 4:57 PM

I got one that fit on the eave vent so no hole in the roof. Has a thermostat so comes on when attic gets above 80 deg

Check the weatherstripping around windows and doors

And yes attic insulation will help. Our house is small so I bought the bags and spread it myself.

Our crawl space needs work this summer,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

stick a cooking thermometer in a vent whilest AC is running

Jun 2, 2020, 5:56 PM

if the air coming out isn't 20 degrees cooler than your room temp, fix your AC issues first.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's talk attic insulation

Jun 2, 2020, 7:02 PM

Is your ceiling hot?

When we lived in a house with no insulation, the ceiling and knee walls in the upstairs were hot to the touch. Insulation was a big help.

If there is some insulation and they aren't hot to the touch, you are going to get minimal benefit from insulation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are your windows new?

Jun 2, 2020, 8:03 PM

If windows are more than 15 years old they are more likely to be the culprit than attic insulation.

I'd start with the AC though. Replaced a 20yr old unit at my house last summer and immediately saw a 40% decrease in the power bill, and now the house actually gets cold without the AC running 24-7

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Replies: 11
| visibility 439
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic