Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In all my years of watching basketball,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

In all my years of watching basketball,

Dec 16, 2017, 6:52 PM

I have never seen refs put the wrong player at the free throw line, let him make a shot, then decide to review the foul, take the point off of the board and put the correct player at the free throw line. Thankfully Reed made both of his free throws and it turned out not to be controversial.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In all my years of watching basketball,

Dec 16, 2017, 6:54 PM

They will now be assigned to all our games at UNC and Duke like their daddys were.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

The ref who looked like he spent more time working out ...

Dec 16, 2017, 6:54 PM

... than reading a basketball rule book seemed to be in charge and made terrible calls the whole game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And how did our coaches let that happen without telling the

Dec 16, 2017, 6:57 PM

refs Reed should be shooting? (I can see us not saying anything if they wrong guy was the better FT shooter.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The staff did not want to take a chance of getting a

Dec 16, 2017, 6:59 PM

technical foul because as goofy as the game was you never know what would have happened

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Brownell had just witnessed Coach Swinney get a

Dec 16, 2017, 8:00 PM

15-yard UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT penalty for bisching about debris being thrown at our Tigers by a bunch of chickenlouts (yeah, yeah, he stepped outside the coaches box) and this was by ACC officials....lawd knows what would happen with that crew of SEC maroons who'd already proven themselves incompetent........giving the ball back to Fla after their player slipped on a wet spot was simply ludicrous.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would the staff know who should be at the line?

Dec 16, 2017, 7:25 PM [ in reply to And how did our coaches let that happen without telling the ]

The officials called a foul and sent Thomas to the line. Why would Brownell be in a position to object to that? His view was from the floor level at the other end of the gym. Only the re-play crew could have started the call reversal discussion. And that's what happened. Way too late of curse, but there was absolutely no burden on Brownell to know anything was amiss. Once the FT point was taken off the board, though ... if it cost us the game ... THEN some holly he!! should have been raised.

Re: How would the staff know who should be at the line?

Dec 16, 2017, 7:31 PM

How would a competent official not know who got fouled. Not like the are built alike or have numbers even similar. I give Thomas credit. He made the shot that at the time we thought counted w the game on the line

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree officials blew it ... just sayng not Brownell's fault

Dec 16, 2017, 7:38 PM

Can't believe they compounded the screw-up by taking a point off the board. Could have cost us the game.

Re: Agree officials blew it ... just sayng not Brownell's fault

Dec 16, 2017, 7:42 PM

agree. I suspect he lobbied to have the better shooter up there which actually was correct.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because the whistle didn't blow until the foul

Dec 16, 2017, 7:56 PM [ in reply to How would the staff know who should be at the line? ]

on Reed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy to see and hear on slo-mo replay on TV for you and

Dec 17, 2017, 6:30 PM

the announcers. And people watching at home.

Not so easy in real time at the far end of the court with a mass of bodies falling all over the place under the other basket.

Get real!

If Brownell knew that Reed belonged at the FT line, there is no way he let's Thomas shoot that shot.

The officials sent Thomas to the line, not Brownell and even they didn't realize the mistake until the guys at the table clued them in.

I am pretty sure the coaches know which players are fouled.

Dec 16, 2017, 8:41 PM [ in reply to How would the staff know who should be at the line? ]

That play wasn't close. Reed was tied up with several Gators when the foul was called. It was a long time after the ball left Thomas' hands that the whistle blew.

Even if the coaches were not sure, surely Reed and Thomas knew whom was fouled and would have said something to the coaches if the wrong player was being sent to the line.

Sure the refs are primarily responsible, I find it strange our coaches did not make the refs aware of their mistake when it was to our benefit to do so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am pretty sure the coaches know which players are fouled.

Dec 18, 2017, 11:53 AM

Reed and Thomas were both fouled on the same play. Thomas was fouled first. Even though the foul on Thomas wasn't called, the officials sent Thomas to the line. It had to be a very confusing situation in real time down on the floor without the benefit of seeing it on a TV slow motion replay. Brownell and his staff had a very poor line of sight toward the action.

Our coaches did tell the refs it was supposed to be Reed.

Dec 18, 2017, 5:16 PM [ in reply to And how did our coaches let that happen without telling the ]

The refs just didn't care, because they were awful.

I have zero confidence that the refs would've done a "do over" if Thomas had missed that free throw. Only because he made it did they decide that the shot didn't count.

I've watched us be the victim of some really bad officiating over the years, but this game was probably the worst.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 16, 2017, 8:16 PM

that is the rule. It is called a correctable error. The refs are supposed to make sure that the correct player is at the line by verifying the jersey number. They have to decide if the player that went to the line was not intentional by the coach or the player. It they think it is intentional, they call a tech foul on shooting team. If it is the error of the ref for not verifying the number after the first ft is shot, everything is wiped clean (correctable error) and it starts over with the correct player at the line.

If he missed....and Florida scored, you actually think they

Dec 16, 2017, 8:42 PM

would have corrected it................

Dec 16, 2017, 8:53 PM

While the refs had the wrong player at the line, I preferred them taking the point off and having Reed shoot two than having Thomas shoot one more. Reed is such a good FT shooter I thought the chances of him making two was better than Thomas making one more.

Watching replay Eli got knocked to floor

Dec 16, 2017, 9:00 PM

I am sure it was miscommunication between the officials. But I have never seen a player make a FT and then have the point taken off the board.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's not forget their turnover in the 1st half...

Dec 16, 2017, 9:02 PM

that was overturned because the floor was wet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not only that, but they actually stopped play

Dec 18, 2017, 5:17 PM

which was a fast break for us with no one standing between us and an easy dunk. Pathetic!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Let's not forget their turnover in the 1st half...

Dec 18, 2017, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Let's not forget their turnover in the 1st half... ]

That was the only slip during the whole game. And I’m not convinced it was a slip so much as a trip.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic