Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those upset over athletes being able to earn money...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

For those upset over athletes being able to earn money...

Apr 30, 2020, 6:19 PM

We all have concerns over how this will look, and we're all worried about the college sports we love changing. I feel as many of you probably do especially concerned since our football program has just started a great run as perhaps the most elite program in the country at the moment, and we all feel we are looking at a very long run at or near the top with the way Dabo runs things, and with him being in his prime.

With that said, I think the concern over everything changing is largely driven over a concern of recruits choosing certain schools based on how many endorsement opportunities are available. If everything was 100% on the up and up I don't feel that most of us would have an issue with a local sporting store offering Trevor Lawrence $200 to sit at their store and sign autographs for a few hours. I also don't think most would have issue with EA Sports bringing back a college football game, and giving all the players a share of the revenue for using their likeness.

I think what our issue is that drives the concern over the rule change are boosters basically treating things as a free market, and promising a recruit X amount of dollars in an advertising deal if they sign with their school.

My point is most of the anger seems pointed in the wrong directions. The NCAA changed the rule because they were basically forced to by the courts. The players would like to get paid when they can, because who wouldn't want to be? The courts are looking at things as allowing for a free market. Anyone else pushing for the changes are seeing the large coaching salaries and wondering why there's so much money going into the sport if going to school is the important thing.

The people we should be angry at are the boosters, agents, and others who would abuse this system. If the game is ruined then it'll be because of these people. It's the same people who currently operate behind the scenes by offering up deals. I know it doesn't really help your concerns, but it's really just another example of how a few bad apples end up ruining things for the majority.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those upset over athletes being able to earn money...

Apr 30, 2020, 6:44 PM

Seems players might want to play in places like Los Angeles too with more opportunity.

I think

Apr 30, 2020, 7:05 PM

(Hope) the NCAA will look at this very,very carefully and make good decisions regarding all the possible things that could go wrong. I’ll be surprised if “boosters” are figured into the final draft of this proposal. The guidelines for moneys earned by a player will surely be clearly defined and limited. No way can this be accepted by everyone concerned if the playing field isn’t even. The big question is .... does the NCAA have that kind of personal in place to do this right the first time???

Apr 30, 2020, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: For those upset over athletes being able to earn money... ]

hmmm... and Jim Thorpe was stripped of his gold medals because he earned something like a "dollar or two ninety-eight" a week (not hourly, but per week) one summer for a semi-pro baseball team. All that the general public hears about every hour, every week and every year are the "super stars" of college sports, who are "making" all this money for the colleges and universities they attend, not to mention the sports networks and media. They look at the "system" and not the individual student, a student like an OL guard who has a 4.0 in pre-med, maybe a two year starter on a team doing big things, who has no chance of being drafted, but really just wants to be a surgeon anyway. This "new deal" might entice some projected high picks in the draft to stay for a fourth year - I mean, why not stay and play for another couple of million$$(+/-)? Ah, the man just working hard for a simple profit and providing a good life for his family is an anachronism in the current economy of greed. We simply need to celebrate the student-athletes, and the schools they play for, that made this whole system in the first place.

Let the bidding begin

Apr 30, 2020, 6:58 PM

Large market schools such as Ohio State, UGA, Texas A&M, and USC will kill recruiting for more rural programs like our Tigers. Honestly, Dabo can preach about graduation, values, and past achievement...but if I were 17 again and one school offers me $100k in guaranteed advertising and Pickens County offers me $1k from a Spinx commercial...I'm probably going with school X. Imagine the pressure on 17 year old poverty stricken kids to choose schools based on proven advertising opportunity vs. the molding of men.

You're right about directing anger towards those that will inevitably abuse the system...but the new system is biased towards large market schools.

Re: Let the bidding begin

May 1, 2020, 7:17 AM

This is the point ive been saying too! I think this could really hurt the amount a parody in the leagues. While you may now get 10 schools in LA and Miami, etc excelling. Its going to hurt a lot more schools recruiting than it helps.

Apr 30, 2020, 7:00 PM

The NCAA brought this on themselves. They deliberately and proudly embrace the idea that they are the only realistic path to the NBA or NFL. And, they love being in that position.

But, the NBA decided they didn't want to play along. NBA is willing to pay super star HS kids enough money to get them to turn pro right out of HS.

NCAA is fighting back. They are trying to out-recruit the NBA. If this were in place last year it would be NCAA vs. NBA in a bidding war for Zion. (We can pay you more money than they can.)

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Soon, probably within 5 years or so, the Power Five schools are gonna break away from the NCAA and we will see an organization that recruits kids out of high school and signs a contract with the booster club or athletic association or whatever they decide to call it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson can't financially compete with Michigan, Texas

Apr 30, 2020, 7:53 PM

Ohio State and the other big endowment schools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Clemson can't financially compete with Michigan, Texas

Apr 30, 2020, 8:16 PM

I believe this will destroy college athletics as we know it now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quit donating to iptay and start funding a corporate slush fund to buy recruits NIL rights. Drop the executed K off with DRad, make sure it doesn’t infringe on Nike K and you just bought a player with cold hard cash. Perfectly legal under most proposed NIL state laws which would legally hold sway in court vs anything proposed by NCAA. This is way bigger than signing autographs and a hocking cars for the local Ford dealership.

May 1, 2020, 7:21 AM

I agree with that. I think what a lot of people are missing is that there wont be a ton of money coming from local shops and stores. a kid like TLaw who hass 500K instagram followers...now that is where the money is at. I would be willing to bet "local money" wont have nearly as much impact for some of these big names. All of these 5 star players have an incredible following by the time they get to college and would make a lot of money from digital presence. Of course there is still the under the table money that can play a factor, but I don't think local stuff is quite as important for some of these bigger name players.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic