Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lemonade Anyone? (MAYBE GERMANS)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Lemonade Anyone? (MAYBE GERMANS)

Sep 16, 2019, 3:17 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/florida-state-kids-lemonade-money-going-toward-willie-taggart-buyout/ar-AAHlpay?ocid=spartanntp

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Lemonade Anyone? (MAYBE GERMANS)

Sep 16, 2019, 5:23 AM

This is bad for sports on any level. Kids are always watching us adults and they do a really good job of picking up what we say and do. Plus you have to put a lot of blame on the media, announcers and social media. IMO we have crossed a line that I don’t think we can cross back over. And now we have the player compensation issue.

We may not have to worry about Dabo leaving for Bama or the NFL. If some get their way and laws are passed for players to get compensation. Dabo has made it clear he is done with college football.

I think college sports is in serious peril. It’s become so much about the money that the fans that use to attend several games a year can no longer afford that luxury.

Most of you probably know by now that 2 idiot SC state legislators are pushing for a bill similar to the bill California is trying to pass or has passed that will allow players to receive through several ways compensation. For a select few it will be financially rewarding. But to most it’s another way to creat division within the program.

I am with Dabo, if players start getting paid I am done with college football. Will HS kids be next wanting compensation for being in recruiting magazines and other media with their photo or likeness. Where will it stop???

Thanks for posting the article.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 6:30 AM

This is bad for sports on any level. Kids are always watching us adults and they do a really good job of picking up what we say and do. Plus you have to put a lot of blame on the media, announcers and social media. IMO we have crossed a line that I don’t think we can cross back over. And now we have the player compensation issue.

We may not have to worry about Dabo leaving for Bama or the NFL. If some get their way and laws are passed for players to get compensation. Dabo has made it clear he is done with college football.

I think college sports is in serious peril. It’s become so much about the money that the fans that use to attend several games a year can no longer afford that luxury.

Most of you probably know by now that 2 idiot SC state legislators are pushing for a bill similar to the bill California is trying to pass or has passed that will allow players to receive through several ways compensation. For a select few it will be financially rewarding. But to most it’s another way to creat division within the program.

I am with Dabo, if players start getting paid I am done with college football. Will HS kids be next wanting compensation for being in recruiting magazines and other media with their photo or likeness. Where will it stop???

Thanks for posting the article.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Wueagle86:

I completely understand where you come from on this argument. However, when I was the Lemonade Kid's age, I had my own opinions about sports. I was asking for Tommy West to be fired long before he was let go. I was even yelling at the television at Ken Hatfield long before I was at the age of puberty. Not because of my parent's influence, but because of my own formulated opinion. I don't believe his parents put him up to it. Willie Taggart is not a good fit for FSU and any impassioned fan would arrive at that same conclusion if Willie Taggart was at Clemson. I mean, I feel bad for the guy but he simply cannot coach a program.

In regards to players getting paid, I don't feel as if it would be a bad thing. Many student athletes arrive from different social economic backgrounds. Some players show up in Bentley's that their parents bought for them while others arrive at Clemson on a Mo-ped Scooter. I don't feel as if the NCAA paying the students who have their likeness used will impact much. If Clemson was required to pay them then it would be a whole different ball game. Not only would ticket prices spike, but taxes would possibly increase because they would then become State employees. However, if some shoe company or shirt company uses the image of Trevor Lawrence or Isaiah Simmons then they should be paid for it. That's the law that exist already. If someone uses your likeness to promote a product for a monetary gain then you should be paid a portion of the proceeds. Dabo has even expressed his support for that because it is basic business law. He has opposed placing the players on a collegiate salary and the bill being passed doesn't generate a provisions for student athletes to be paid a salary.

However, if the students were ever offered a salary then what does Dabo care? If the students are required by the school to sign a scholarship contract that forbids the student athlete from obtaining employment while attending the school, then some form of payment should be offered to offset the cost of living. Especially if they're forbidden to seek employment while attending Clemson. You forget that the student athletes attend school all year long. They cannot grab a Summer job. It matters not, if grandpa did it a certain way 50 years ago. Times are much more different. We have new expenses in the daily cost of living that didn't exist 50 years ago, and some parents cannot afford it. I am in agreement with the new bill. This is coming from a conservative who normally sides with Dabo on these things, but I find myself in disagreement regarding this matter. Nevertheless, GO TIGERS!

Semper Fi,

CHESTY

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Sep 16, 2019, 10:02 AM

Say what you want but getting over $100,000 scholarship, books, their own dinning room, recreational facilities at the new football complex , the clothing they get and more. Plus the coaching and training they receive is invaluable. Most players end up with pretty good jobs if they don’t play in the NFL.

Regular students don’t have those same luxuries unless their parents are well off. Many have to work and go to school just to get by. Then they graduate with thousands of dollars of debt. I can name 15 Clemson players right now who in 2 to 5 years will be millionaires. If it were not for the training, coaching and exposure they get plus the scholarship some would never come close to making that kind of money.

IMO it is a bad trend to set. Clemson’s players are well taken care of. Look back at the 70’s and 80’s when we actually paid players. SMU was dumb enough to have kept a ledger. Terry Bowden get into problems with boosters paying players while he was st Auburn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 11:21 AM

Say what you want but getting over $100,000 scholarship, books, their own dinning room, recreational facilities at the new football complex , the clothing they get and more. Plus the coaching and training they receive is invaluable. Most players end up with pretty good jobs if they don’t play in the NFL.

Regular students don’t have those same luxuries unless their parents are well off. Many have to work and go to school just to get by. Then they graduate with thousands of dollars of debt. I can name 15 Clemson players right now who in 2 to 5 years will be millionaires. If it were not for the training, coaching and exposure they get plus the scholarship some would never come close to making that kind of money.

IMO it is a bad trend to set. Clemson’s players are well taken care of. Look back at the 70’s and 80’s when we actually paid players. SMU was dumb enough to have kept a ledger. Terry Bowden get into problems with boosters paying players while he was st Auburn.

———————————————————————

What about players whom have children of their own? I know of a few whom have children that are on an athletic scholarship to play a sport. Again, there’s a few who would be in serious trouble without it. Some are also begging for diapers and baby formula on social media. This also creates an environment where boosters could prey on a specific player whom is financially vulnerable and may take an unlawful payment. That could sink a program quickly.

~Chesty Puller

Yep, this is how it begins. A lemonade stand.***

Sep 16, 2019, 6:41 AM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Sep 16, 2019, 9:24 AM

Hope it is hand squeezed like they serve at Clemson ......

https://twitter.com/i/status/987903952699129856

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 9:47 AM

Here is the article where Dabo quoted if players start getting paid he will find something else to do. This tells me he is against and would leave coaching if it ever happens.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/04/26/dabo-swinneys-stance-paying-players-cant-taken-seriously-after-contract/3588590002/

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic