Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Kelly and Cooper have torn ACL injuries
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Kelly and Cooper have torn ACL injuries

Apr 15, 2013, 3:44 PM

Kelly and Cooper have torn ACL injuries

Starting tight end Sam Cooper and reserve quarterback Chad Kelly both suffered torn ACL injuries during Clemson’s Spring Football Game this past Saturday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

:(***

Apr 15, 2013, 3:47 PM

At least we can deal with the injuries early in the year

Apr 15, 2013, 3:52 PM

Injuries are never good, but this leaves all summer for a new te to step up. Lets go tigers!!

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

This is why you have to have depth.

Apr 15, 2013, 3:56 PM

You never know when freak injuries will happen. That being said both of these young men can take medical RS if need be. We still have 2 very capable Qbs and the other two looked pretty good on Saturday. Stekinger, McCoullgh, and Leggett now have their shot. That being said none of them seem to be the blocking type of TE. All three are very good at catching the ball though so hopefully the Chad will work around this in the playbook.

those are two positions where we don't really have depth

Apr 15, 2013, 4:41 PM

Seckinger and McCollough are unproven, and we don't havea any other scholarship QBs after Stoudt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can they get a medical redshirt when they have

Apr 15, 2013, 4:58 PM [ in reply to This is why you have to have depth. ]

already used their redshirt? The only way you get two red shirts is if both of them are medical in nature. I don't believe that is the case here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct. They can apply for a special RS, but

Apr 16, 2013, 12:17 PM

very little chance of it being granted. The NCAA rarely grants that sixth yr of eligibility.

Re: This is why you have to have depth.

Apr 15, 2013, 5:09 PM [ in reply to This is why you have to have depth. ]

Kelly may be eligible for a medical hardship, but that means last year will be lost since he was medically able to play, but redshirted instead.

It's why we should stop playing a meaningless spring game***

Apr 15, 2013, 5:11 PM [ in reply to This is why you have to have depth. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What would be the difference if it happened during practice?***

Apr 15, 2013, 5:34 PM

You mean stop having scrimmages with limited contact?

Apr 15, 2013, 7:35 PM [ in reply to It's why we should stop playing a meaningless spring game*** ]

The spring game is nothing more than an intrasquad scrimmage with limited contact on skills players.

The Spring game is *not* more dangerous than any other scrimmage or practice session.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work around?

Apr 15, 2013, 4:11 PM

Defenders know how to work around a non blocking TE alright. TE is a critical pillar for this offense. I can deal with the loss of Kelly but Cooper was poised to have a breakout season such as our last two TE have, except Allen and Ford could block. This is what I feared most from Saturday's injuries.

Blocking is a mentality more then anything else

Apr 15, 2013, 4:13 PM

and that being said Ford and Aleen weren't great blockers but they were dependable when called upon. If we can't rely on the young guys to block then Morris will use the FB more often as the FB/TE/HB position is pretty much the same thing.

Ford wasn't really a blocking TE

Apr 15, 2013, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Work around? ]

he started out as a big WR.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt

Apr 15, 2013, 4:17 PM

there isn't now.

Re: If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt

Apr 15, 2013, 4:48 PM

For the spring game maybe we should stop with the QB read option and runs.

I know it limits some plays but this is the 2nd year in a row we lost a QB to an ACL.

I would limit the QB to just hand offs and some passes. Of course it would not be as exciting for the fans but I would rather head out of the Spring in full health.

Sure hate it for these guys.

Very good idea. Keep the touch sacks and don't let them run

Apr 15, 2013, 4:52 PM

Limit the opportunities for injury.

Apr 15, 2013, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt ]

Good idea, but we don't have any power running backs who can pick up that yardage. McDowell, in his "breakout" game, gained 10 yards. The top gainer had 41 yards. Our OL right now is a huge question mark. We'd better hope that Tyshone Dye can come in and provide a credible threat at RB. But, I'm still not convinced that we have anyone who can block for him. Reality decends. We go 8 and 4.

Apr 15, 2013, 9:51 PM

What an Idiot!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot

Apr 15, 2013, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt ]

chicken loser

You are Xactley right. There is NO need

Apr 15, 2013, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt ]

for a purple jersey to start running the ball. What is the point?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2013, 8:52 PM [ in reply to If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt ]

Leggett need to put on 15 pounds, minimum. With our
S&C program, I don't think that's likely. BTW, did anyone notice the absence of any running game? Hate to say it but, UGA will stomp us.

Apr 15, 2013, 10:58 PM

Don't panic, that why we have closed practices, if there were other team players, scouters, or coaches saw what you saw. GREAT!! eliminates all early game preparations for CLEMSON. Great job coaches, continue to minimized the advantages for our opponents. You'll be in for a surprise come gameday.

Tell 'em coot

Apr 15, 2013, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: If there was ever a chance Leggett would redshirt ]

chicken loser.

Fire Batson!***

Apr 15, 2013, 5:01 PM

null

Legget

Apr 15, 2013, 5:22 PM

has been praised all spring. While this is an unfortunate way for him to get an opportunity, I'm excited to see him perform in a real game! I wish "Swag" Kelly and Sam Cooper fast recoveries!

*Leggett***

Apr 15, 2013, 5:22 PM

Re: *Leggett- yeah from all you hear

Apr 15, 2013, 5:25 PM

they expect him to make an impact

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

leggett played pretty well at the spring game.

Apr 15, 2013, 5:51 PM

he made some really nice catches saturday, and at 6'6", he'll be a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses. i do wonder, however, at his point-of-attack blocking, that will be needed to help the o-line on most plays. i am not sure how he was used in h.s., but with his size and pass catching abilities, i would presume he wasn't called on to block too often, unless he was in a run-first offense in h.s..

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: leggett played pretty well at the spring game.

Apr 15, 2013, 9:07 PM

He needs to put on 15 to 20 pounds, which in this S&C program,he won't do. Sad, but true.

Re: leggett played pretty well at the spring game.

Apr 15, 2013, 9:55 PM

Look negative Nancy, everything you say has negativity dripping off of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot***

Apr 15, 2013, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: leggett played pretty well at the spring game. ]

Re: Legget

Apr 15, 2013, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Legget ]

ACL injuries typically take a year for full recovery. Dabo's mecical expertise notwithstanding.

Tell 'em coot

Apr 15, 2013, 11:06 PM

Are you a physician ?

What about the other two QB's that...

Apr 15, 2013, 6:01 PM

Played in the spring game, McElveen and the Shoosler??? Both made good plays but not as good as Stoudt. Are they walk-ons or what?

Re: What about the other two QB's that...I believe

Apr 15, 2013, 6:02 PM

both of them are walk ons

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But they can be used. Right?***

Apr 15, 2013, 6:06 PM

Re: But they can be used. Right? If you mean the qbs

Apr 15, 2013, 6:18 PM

yes. they can play just like any other team member

Re: But they can be used. Right?***

Apr 15, 2013, 9:09 PM [ in reply to But they can be used. Right?*** ]

Yes, but to what effect?

You do realize they scrimmage

Apr 15, 2013, 6:18 PM

numerous times during the Spring and Fall. The Spring game just happens to be one of the instances where the fans get a view. They scrimmage all the time in the Valley and it looks just like the Spring game. Injuries are part of sports.

Re: You do realize they scrimmage

Apr 15, 2013, 11:14 PM

Agreed. Not the first and won't be the last. No team have gone a 100% injured free during a season. Clemson along with many other teams ACC or SEC have had freshman players start, made an impact, and perform well through out the entire season. It still can be done in 2013. There's no more Sammy Watkins, etc.. out there??? PS: Freshman All American. Next.

Re: Front Page Story: Kelly and Cooper have torn ACL injuries

Apr 15, 2013, 9:15 PM

Sorry on both Kelly and Cooper. Was Cooper the projected starter? So what now?

appreciate the thoughts

Apr 15, 2013, 9:28 PM

my guess is Stanton Seckinger and True Freshman Jordan Legget if JJ McCullough can't pull the weight.

We should be ok here, but Cooper was expected to play some significant snaps there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: appreciate the thoughts

Apr 15, 2013, 11:23 PM

The tightends play is mostly setup by the receivers plays. They are not the primary pass position for most offenses, especially Clemson. Mostly use like a checkdown play after a couples of pass plays or maybe after noticing double coverage on the wideouts.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic