Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lavel Davis Jr. match up problem or no?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Lavel Davis Jr. match up problem or no?

Sep 29, 2020, 12:55 PM

Kid is 6'6 or 6'5 depending on which publication you read. I think our tallest CB is 6'1(DK). Could be a potential issue for us.

This kid was probably undervalued because I believe Fort Dorchester(his H.S. in N. Charleston) mostly relied on running the football. He has good hands and nice power! Look at below video of him breaking tackles to get into the end zone.

I think we cover the spread versus UVA - but this kid might be a problem. What do you all think?

And the QB - a poor man's Tebow! LOL< nah, he is left handed and does run with a little bit of power. I don't think he is the passer Tebow was. But, with 6'6 WR's how accurate to you have to be? The other UVA WR is no small guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XabEg6JoJNg

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lavel Davis Jr. match up problem or no?

Sep 29, 2020, 12:57 PM

Davis went the Woodland High School and they threw it to him every single chance they got.

I believe Woodland being a small school probably limited his recruitment, but I also think he is in the Ortre Smith mold and doesn't have a lot of speed to go with his frame.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 1:01 PM

I watched the video after my reply and I stand by my reasoning. Notice he was tightly covered on 2 of the 3 passes shown.

He does not possess much speed at all.

He is big and excels at the jump ball.

I'm sure they will test our corners on some of the same sideline throws shown.

One thing I liked seeing was the ball floating out of their QB's hand. Should give us some time to recover on most balls thrown down the field.

Sep 29, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Lavel Davis Jr. match up problem or no? ]

I think he is like the Mike Williams mold. He had no quarterback in high school. He caught everything they threw him. I only say that because I went to woodland and I played against Mike Williams in high school. Lake Marion was terrible. I saw lavel play a lot of Friday nights.

Sep 29, 2020, 2:08 PM

Woodland was much better the last couple of years than Lake Marion ever was when Williams was there. Davis did have a decent QB, compared to what Williams had at Lake Marion, to get him the ball.

I do not believe he is as athletic as Williams, but his raw skills are similar.

Sep 29, 2020, 12:58 PM

Yes. The Virginia media guide has him listed at 6'7" so its going to be a long day trying to cover him .

Sep 29, 2020, 1:05 PM

I trust BV and our secondary. They usually have a plan plus w good qb pressure it will limit how accurate the throws are

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 6:42 PM

Can’t catch what’s not thrown.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 7:07 PM

Good Point!

*** They apparently have a graduate transfer from Penn State plus 7 OL who started at least one game. I.E. they will be experienced on the OL.
With how they are built - I am looking forward to this match ups in the trenches. Skill positions shouldn't be close!

Heather Dinich is That You?

Sep 29, 2020, 1:12 PM

I heard Logan Thomas was tall too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heather Dinich is That You?

Sep 29, 2020, 1:36 PM

They no longer report his sad and untimely passing since he is a tight end.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 2:05 PM

Maybe, but I seriously doubt the QB will have as much time to throw this Saturday as he did against Duke's front seven...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 2:26 PM

WELL SINCE HE IS FROM SC AND DABO DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHO HE WAS MY ANSWER IS NO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure about undervalued...

Sep 29, 2020, 2:50 PM

He is a true Freshman who has played one game against 0-3 Duke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Thanks All. Great responses!

Sep 29, 2020, 5:45 PM

I guess his hometown is listed as Dorchester, SC. That's where I got the Ft. Dorchester H.S. reference. My bad Woodland H.S.

And, he may not be a burner, but neither was Jerry Rice. In the video, he muscled his way to the end zone on one of those TD's after initially being hit at the 10 yard line. Which means, he isn't just a tall WR. He is also a physical one.

Small school undervalue is a thing - especially if the kid isn't able to attend camps. He can't be evaluated against other elite talent and end up lower than their talent might suggest. Think of the great WR or would be great WR who plays at a H.S. that runs 90% of the time. Hard to get seen.

I trust our coaches to have a game plan for him. At 6'7 going againist a 6'1 CB - he is basically always open. Throw it so he catches it or no one catches it. I agree with whoever said, "pressure on their QB will be huge"! He can run a little bit too now, so not that sitting duck back there. I know it was Duke but he still looked impressive over guys who have been on campus longer than him. And, those guys are on scholarship too!

Tigers win big! But, I still think he might be a problem!

Sep 29, 2020, 7:27 PM

No. QB is 6'2", Murphy and Bresee are both 6'5" before they raise their arms/hands.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:24 PM

Three words.

Bracket.....The.....Reciever

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 8:52 PM

Exactly Bret!

Trying to remember how many 6'7 inch WR's we(The Tigers) have ever faced? Maybe some 6'5 dudes!

Again, I think CU cruises "eventually". But, UVA will come out with a ton of heart and may pose some challenges "early"! I say that, because of their overall team size(they are big). But, Clemson's depth and speed will destroy the Cavs.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic