Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:03 PM

the end for the Coots and their short reign over SC? I really think we're gonna wax them. I dont think theyll have any offense to speak of, and I think losing Johnson will hurt some. I think Brownell will have a teamt that he can win with earlier in the year than what hes had the last two seasons. Tanner is losing a ton. We should return our pitching staff, save Hasselden, and we've got some good recruits coming in. I know this past weekend sucked, but I think that was their last hoorah.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been hoping that for 3 years now...third times the charm***

Jun 5, 2012, 2:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think expecting to win in '10 was very far fetched...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:11 PM

What happened last year was on the end of a collapse. I dont see us collapsing again. Plus, think Dabo is really getting this rivalry now. He finally fired back and I think the team will respond in a good way when the game rolls around.

Dabo also said we'd be talking about the Clemson defense

Jun 5, 2012, 2:39 PM

after the Orange Bowl, and you see how well that worked out. I wouldn't put too much weight with the rant he went on after the loss to South Carolina.

The only reason Dabo went on his rant was to have some of the Clemson faithful eating out of the palm of his hand, and it worked pretty well. Yeah you won the ACC-CG, but I think it's safe to say VT was overrated, and the nation saw how weak the ACC was not only in your bowl game, but the Sugar Bowl as well.

I don't like to guarantee anything, because honestly you have no idea how the game is going to turn out this year, but I'm almost positive Spurrier will not forget Dabo's rant.

Dabos rant was an affirmation that he finally gets it...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:43 PM

This team will be buying into the fact that its not just anoter non-conference game. I dont care if the Ole Ball Sack remembers or not. The fact, we finally took note of the #### hes been talking for years, and we wont forget either.

Re: Dabos rant was an affirmation that he finally gets it...

Jun 5, 2012, 3:07 PM

Are you stupid or something? Dabo got the rivalry from the get go. Hell he played for Alabama, don't you realize they have a little rivalry of their own with Auburn. Those people understand a rivalry.

Dabo's rant was nothing more than a HC that hasn't yet learned to shut the hell up and let results on the field do the talking. Hopefully that little embarassing pasting we took in the OB taught motor mouth a little humility.

Point. Bravo. Darn skippy.***

Jun 5, 2012, 4:01 PM

CDS GETS the rivalry for the reason you mention. BUT ...

Jun 6, 2012, 6:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabos rant was an affirmation that he finally gets it... ]

you are the stupid one with the rest of your post.

Our coach got word that the rival had disparaged something very near and dear to him - OUR University. And it was done in a way that reeked of ball sacks usual douchery - backhanded and smug.

So he stood up passionately for what he - and I - believe in.

If he had been asked that question and been passive about it, all you holier than thou types woulda been bent to 90 degrees about what a wuss, lay down, quivering lip TB this coach in training is.

But instead - he laid it out the way that it is. Those wanna be's in that hole of a city can only dream of having what we have - and it is a whale of a lot more than a 3 game win streak in football.

You should heed your own words and shut up for a while.

And you too blue caddy - the worst poster on here .... Darn skippy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Did you watch the Sugar Bowl?

Jun 5, 2012, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Dabo also said we'd be talking about the Clemson defense ]

You act like Michigan flat out beat VT. VT should have won that game. Check the stats out genius:

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/ncaaf/game/Michigan_VirginiaTech/2012/01/03#box-score

I don't think the "nation saw how weak the ACC was in that game".

And the Clemson/WVU game would have been what everyone thought had the fumble not happened. We quit...kind of like your boys did in the SEC Champ game two years ago. Kind of like your boys did when my Tigers put up 63 on you. Yea, SEC is better than the ACC, but you made some ignorant comments.

We "quit" 2 games last year b/c of 1 bad play. That speaks

Jun 5, 2012, 4:04 PM

volumes about how soft and mentally weak we are as a team. That rests squarely on Dabo.

Nice reply, couldn't have said it any better

Jun 5, 2012, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Did you watch the Sugar Bowl? ]

That was a BS call to overturn the VT go-ahead TD. VT was CLEARLY the better overall team and played a much more complete game to anyone who watched that game.

I love how these kids act like they are the next Alabama just because they strung together some solid seasons. Hilarious.

I did watch the Sugar Bowl

Jun 6, 2012, 3:02 AM [ in reply to Did you watch the Sugar Bowl? ]

and I saw two mediocre teams who (I don't think) were even in the top 10 in a bowl they weren't deserving to play in.

Does me saying that imply I think South Carolina should have been in a BCS bowl? no. But surely there were more deserving teams to go besides Michigan and VT... Boise, TCU, Arkansas, etc

And I know it's late, so you may think my last post was

Jun 6, 2012, 3:40 AM

kind of far fetched, but anyways, some validation to my previous post.

Michigan's only quality win was against Nebraska, and no I'm not saying that only because South Carolina played them in a bowl game. They lost to MSU and Iowa, and barely beat a 7-5 Notre Dame squad (although I will admit that was one heck of a game), as well as barely beating a struggling OSU team this year, both being at home mind you.

The ACC schedule made VT looks better than they were, as usual, as well as an abysmal out of conference schedule. They barely beat Duke (14-10), UNC (24-21), Miami (38-35), and even ECU (17-10). Yes VT was 11-2 after the ACC-CG game, but both being bad losses to Clemson.

Now, you might raise a red flag when I mention TCU heading to a BCS game. They lost a shootout to Baylor the first week of the football season, then a bad loss to SMU. But, they managed to win their conference (going undefeated in conference play), while having 2 losses on their record. VT had 2 bad losses from the same team, didn't even win their conference, and got a BCS invite. I even recall TCU being mentioned to play Clemson in the Orange Bowl maybe a week before the official word was out.

Michigan did not even win their conference, but managed to get in with 2 losses. Boise State didn't win their conference and only had one loss (TCU) and were looked over. Arkansas only had 2 losses (both teams playing in the national championship game), but the conference ruling on how many teams can go to BCS games screwed over Arkansas there.

Re: I did watch the Sugar Bowl

Jun 6, 2012, 11:53 PM [ in reply to I did watch the Sugar Bowl ]

You SECheat homers wanted so bad to have those two SEC teams in the NC game that Arkansas got snubbed partly because of that. I agree though, Michigan shouldn't have been there, but VT was a good team last year, just not against us.

Re: Been hoping that for 3 years now...third times the charm***

Jun 5, 2012, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Been hoping that for 3 years now...third times the charm*** ]

This will be the fourth time. Third time was no charm unless that's short for what you do with Charmin. That's exactly what they did with us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correction....Fourth times the charm******

Jun 5, 2012, 5:05 PM

I couldn't agree more...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:16 PM

First of all, we can't beat them all the time. Wish we could, but it just will not happen. We beat them so much, for so long, that most of us honestly forgot what it felt like to lose to our rival.

Let's be honest it got a little lop-sided in our favor. 7 in a row was pretty strong for any rivalry.

Now that we have the bitter taste in our mouth, the fans feel it, the players feel it, the coach has finally felt it, we all talk about it, and we play at home so oh yeah it's coming.

When it does in Nov... let's all bond together to make it a very tough 365 before we play again.

GO TIGERS!

Re: I couldn't agree more...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:42 PM

The last time we won 7 in row was in the 30's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I couldn't agree more...

Jun 5, 2012, 3:05 PM

well we won 8 out of 9 very recently which is pretty much the same thing

There ya go - you know what I mean

Jun 6, 2012, 11:10 AM

Either way you swing it, there's some good ownership taking place.

Did Southern Cal's OL transfer to Clemson?

Jun 5, 2012, 2:24 PM

If the answer is no, then get ready for more of the same.

Re: Did Southern Cal's OL transfer to Clemson?

Jun 5, 2012, 2:39 PM

We know you have dreams. But they are just that, DREAMS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because it takes USC's OL to beat ya'll?....

Jun 7, 2012, 4:26 AM [ in reply to Did Southern Cal's OL transfer to Clemson? ]

get real. Did USC's defensive coordinator go to South Carolina? If not prepare for order to be restored.

Re: Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:24 PM

No, I don't. Whether any Tiger fan, myself included, wants to admit it, Carolina is going to be very good this fall. The defense is stacked with talent and while they may miss Ellis Johnson a bit, the Ball Sack wouldn't put someone in a DC position that he wasn't confident in. Lattimore is back as is most of the line and lets face fact, Clemson couldn't stop the 3rd string kid last season. Shaw's settled in as the starter and he does have a group of recievers that can catch the ball. USC also has an impressive S&C program, Clemson not so much.

Don't get me wrong but until I see Venables work a miracle over the pathetic attempt at defense that was Clemson last year, I don't see us locking anyone down. We also really have zero idea as the the talent and make-up of the O-line and how it'll stack up against Clowney and CO.

Basketball, both teams will suck. Its Clemson and SC basketball, expecting anything else is just assanine.

Baseball, USC is still a young team with arguably the best coach in the game today. Like it or not, RT is on his way to building a veritable Baseball Dynasty in Columbia.

USC's athletics programs are reaping the benefits of the money and association with the SEC and its high profile teams. Clemson is floundering in a conference of mediocrity and loss. Unless something is done to change the leadership of the Conference and the alignment of certain instituions power, Clemson will continue to lag behind USC.

Clemson is climbing and getting better but our Univeristy's Athletic Programs are still lagging behind the Chickens.

Agree or disagree all you want, but the above is an honest assessment of where the programs are at.

Lattimore tore his ACL...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:28 PM

Alfron is gone...

Bring it!

Re: Lattimore tore his ACL...

Jun 5, 2012, 2:47 PM

So, he'll be back stronger and better than ever. The kid is a beast whether you want to admit it or not. Take those orange glasses off and look at things from reality. They pasted our boys 34-13 last season with a relative rookie at QB and the third string RB. The CU O-line got manhandled by the USC defense front 4, and that was supposed to be a veteran line.

Our Defense gave up about 1000 points in the final 4 games of the season, that is not something you fix in one off season. Couple that with another Dabo hire that was about to get schittcanned by a respected HC and I have serious doubts. Coach Tinfoil was bad and Venables is completely unproven and unknown.

Quit believieng the sunshine being blown up your butt and look at the facts in a logical manner. Clemson will be 8-4 or 9-3 realistically. 10-2 if they catch a break somewhere. And one of those losses will be to USC once again unless USC just falls apart somewhere along the way.

Jun 5, 2012, 2:53 PM

Venables is unproven??? ####, check out his record at Oklahoma. Maybe unproven yet at Clemson, but the man is a coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2012, 2:58 PM

Venables was about to get handed a pink slip by Bob Stoops whether you believe it or not.

That is why he was offered a matching package to stay

Jun 7, 2012, 6:43 AM

right, you stupid fk?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables is unproven?

Jun 5, 2012, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

That statement is almost as crazy as the fact that you seem to ignore that OU was willing to match any amount that Clemson offered Venables. He wasn't about to get canned as you say.

Re: Venables is unproven?

Jun 5, 2012, 3:01 PM

The only substantiation of that was the idiots who continually post BS on here.

Saying that, I hope he proves me wrong because he definitely has his work cut out for him. Out defense was abysmal last year. In fact it was downright embarassing, Maryland proved that.

Which is why Steele was shown the door

Jun 5, 2012, 3:10 PM

We've been unable to stop running QBs since Steele came to Clemson, we almost lost our shot at the ACCCG in 09 becuase Virginia ran it so well. Also from what's I've seen and heard from a former Clemson player, Venables is the real deal and will make an immediate impact with the LBs.

Jun 5, 2012, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

dude please go back to FGF and hang out with your homies

Venables- about to get canned and unproven? Lol'zzz

Jun 5, 2012, 9:20 PM

I graduated Clemson in 1995 and have supported the program through some #### poor coaches. I can say without a doubt that we still don't have what we need to be considered elite or viable.

Never said that...

Jun 6, 2012, 11:43 AM

But I did say that Lattimore is a question mark. I've seen a lot of kids rip an ACL and never make it back. No doubt he was great and has a great work ethic, but we still have to see.

So before you go calling Lattimore all world and a lock to run over teams this year, wait.

Highest paid D Cord...

Jun 6, 2012, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

This guy is unreal...

You don't go out and pay tope dollar for a guy who was abt to be canned. OK counter-offeredm but didn't match Clemson ########.

Re: Highest paid D Cord...

Jun 6, 2012, 2:11 PM

I've known quite a few people that pulled down big salaries and couldn't cut the mustard. Dabo got Coach Tinfoil a big ole salary too and look what happened to the defense.

Bob Stoops would have never brought in his brother to be a Co-D if Venables was everything you people seem to think he is. There was friction there and obviously the honeymoon at OU wasn't as blissful as you think.

Having said that, I hope against all my reservations that the man instills a sense of toughness, drive, fight and scheme to the defense that the football team was known for. For years now there has been little or no excitement or swagger to the defense. Teams aren't afraid to play Clemson like they use to be, knowing they were going to get punched in the mouth, instead its been Clemson getting its teeth kicked in and butts stomped into a mudhole.

I don't ever want to hear another rumor or reported quote saying our defense wa asking the opposing team to take it easy on them. I #### sure don't want to see our offense have to win a track meet with a pathetic team like MD this year or struggle with the likes of a Wofford. And I sure as hell don't want to hear coach motor mouth run his trap about the defense only to embarass himself, the team, the university and all of the alumni and students who support this team.

I guess I'd rather sip my orange kool-aid than guzzle it like some of you seem to be doing. I'm not accepting anything at face value, after the OB its up to the coaches and players to prove that was a fluke and anomoly.

Re: Highest paid D Cord...

Jun 6, 2012, 4:29 PM

D@mn you're a whiny little thing. Why don't you just quit following Clemson sports !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not chugging koolaid, just point out that Ven is well

Jun 13, 2012, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Highest paid D Cord... ]

respected in the league. We went out and got him from OK. He has yet to take the field at Clemson, so try to avoid bashing him just yet.

Go Tigers!

Jun 7, 2012, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

I think we fixed our offense in one year

Jun 5, 2012, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

Yes Marcus did. How he does this season is a question mark, in my mind.

Except for us I hope he does well

Jun 5, 2012, 3:13 PM

I respect the kid greatly and hope he comes back 100% and goes on to be a first round pick

Jun 6, 2012, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

By everything I've heard Lattimore seems to be a good kid. I hope he gets back to 100% this season. I just hope we can stop him when we play y'all.

Jun 6, 2012, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

We were winning last year without Marcus so him tearing his ACL last year, has little to do with this year. He's doing great, working hard and everyone feels he should be close to 100% if not 100% but the time the season rolls around. Should he be limited, we have several very capable backs ready to tote the load.

As far as Alshon, while he had a good season last year, he wasn't the only one catching the ball. We have 8 or 9 receivers/tight ends that are more than capable this year and 6 of those are returning from last year. I actually think we will be a better WR corps this year and be able to spread the ball around better than we have the past few years.

Jun 6, 2012, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Lattimore tore his ACL... ]

When Lattimore went down in the Miss State game with his torn ACL, he was the 3rd leading rusher in the nation, and a sure Heisman candidate. USC was averaging 200+ rushing ypg at the time. The MSU game was the 7th game in the season...

After Lattimore was gone, USC averaged 185+ rushing ypg the final 6 games, where they went 5-1. Lattimore scored 10 rushing TDs in the first 7 games, Wilds and Shaw scored 11 rushing TDs in the final 6 games.

Again, Lattimore was a Heisman candidate. Shaw was the backup QB to Garcia, and Wilds was a redshirt candidate heading into the season until both Miles and Baker got injured...he was literally 5th on the depth chart behind Baker, Miles, Carson, and Lattimore....

I'm only saying, don't claim your rushing game is awesome

Jun 13, 2012, 10:38 AM

due to Lattimore bc he is a question mark. You also lost a major target WR in Alshon, so you've def got a few holes to fill on offense.

They will be good, but we'll be better

Jun 5, 2012, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of... ]

:)

spot on

Jun 5, 2012, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of... ]

That may be the most accurate post I have ever seen on tigernet. sad but true

Our BB team is gonna shock some people. We'll be back in

Jun 5, 2012, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of... ]

the NCAAs. Baseball will be better next year. We played two 1 run games bc our pitching staff kept us in the games. They all come back except Hasselden. I can see us taking 2 of 3. FB, who are they gonna throw to? Venables makes no secret he wants to stop the tun with aggressive LB play. Thats what we lacked against them last yr. They wont win 2 in a row in DV.

Re: Our BB team is gonna shock some people. We'll be back in

Jun 5, 2012, 3:04 PM

It will take some time for Frank Martin to build his basketball program at Carolina. And regarding football, yes you will have the home field advantage this year.

I wonder how his recruiting will go at SC

Jun 5, 2012, 3:14 PM

this state really doesn't have a great deal of talent year after year in BB and I'm not sure how he will sell it to kids out of state that could go to instate schools or elsewere. SC doesn't have the tradition of being a BB powerhouse so that won't work

Re: I wonder how his recruiting will go at SC

Jun 5, 2012, 3:17 PM

I agree that SC is not a traditional basketball powerhouse. It will be interesting to see how Big Frank does.

Martin will FAIL***

Jun 5, 2012, 11:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree on everything but one. USC is kicking our butt with

Jun 5, 2012, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone else feel like this fall will be the beginning of... ]

far superior coaching. Money at this point has had little to no part in this. Long term, money will be an issue, but right now it boils down to their greater desire to win from the top all the way down, and better coaching.

Jun 5, 2012, 2:46 PM

Fntasy Land- This USC baseball team is very young and will be better next year. They reload and not rebuild. If you really dont think they will be even better next year your outoftouch with reality. Football, closest game in 3 years has been 17 points. Be serious. The USC O line and D line will be better than Clemsons + Spurrier is just a better coach than Dabo. Again, outoftouch with reality. Basketball, DING DING DING. My god Clemson should beat USC at this. However, with Martin and home court who knows. Does Clemson have a bowling team? _

OL will be a wash both have question marks

Jun 5, 2012, 3:00 PM

I'm willing to say you have a better DL but we have better LBs and DBs. Also we have more weapons on offense. The one thing you have to hang your hopes on is that your DL can get pressure because if they can't our WRs will torch your secondary.

Re: OL will be a wash both have question marks

I think your LBs are more talented and your wide receivers more experienced.

With the loss of Bellamy

Jun 5, 2012, 3:17 PM

I'd say you have a deeper and more talented pool of RBs this year. However, your OL was like our in run blocking last year, which wasn't good. Lattimore got a lot of yeards in spite of the OL not becuase of it, kind of like CJ did for us.

Re: With the loss of Bellamy

Jun 7, 2012, 4:20 AM

You may not want to admit it, but our Oline is becoming pretty good. With Lattimore we averaged around 200 yds/game. After he went down we averaged 185 yards/game, and that was with Wilds. His a good back, but i don't think he was getting those 4-5 100 yd games making people miss in the backfield. I can't really believe it either, but our Oline is pretty good, and will be better this year if Shell is ready to man the LT spot.

Re: OL will be a wash both have question marks

Jun 7, 2012, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: OL will be a wash both have question marks ]

wr's just more experienced? it's rated the #2 wr corp in the country,behind usc, and that is arguable. you should have said more experienced and talented.

Jun 5, 2012, 2:55 PM

Ellis Johnson did a good job as DC at Carolina.

And now he is gone

Jun 5, 2012, 2:58 PM

Ward might be okay but he's unproven. Just trying to use Johnson's system won't be the same as he won't be making in game decisions the same way that he did.

Re: And now he is gone

Jun 5, 2012, 3:07 PM

I agree that Johnson is gone and that Ward is mostly unproven as a Coordinator. It will be different with Lorenzo, as he believes in being more aggressive than Ellis was.

It will be interesting to see what he does

Jun 5, 2012, 3:12 PM

You have a lot of talent coming back but lose wuite a bit as well.

Re: It will be interesting to see what he does

Yes, we did lose some quality starters on defense.

Ward will FAIL***

Jun 5, 2012, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Re: And now he is gone ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ward will FAIL***

Jun 6, 2012, 3:39 AM

lol you're a funny guy

Not as funny as a coot on a tiger message board***

Jun 6, 2012, 2:16 PM

Jun 5, 2012, 3:11 PM [ in reply to And now he is gone ]

And I agree too that they are 2 different coaches. I believe that Ward has potential. We shall see how he does.

Jun 7, 2012, 1:35 AM [ in reply to And now he is gone ]

What Gamecock fans will have to find out is Ward's ability to break down opposing offenses and prepare an effective defensive game-plan on a weekly basis, as well as make effective in-game adjustments against SEC offenses. There's no question that in these areas he's relatively inexperienced....

However, one needs to learn of Ward's experience with USC's base 4-2-5 scheme when one speaks of it being Johnson's "system"...

Ward spent 8 seasons with Frank Beamer at VT during their Big East days. Beamer's, Foster's and Ward's defense was a model to immitate in the 90's: their patented customization of Jim Lambright's schemes into their "G" 4-4 scheme, where they regularly stacked the box with 8 players and at times with 9, constantly blasting opposing offensive backfields with blitz after blitz, preventing the QBs from being able to effectively throw the ball despite there being relatively few defenders in the secondary....and totally shutting down run games.

Then the spread offense was created - some argue specifically to combat the VT-styled defense, and it rendered the old "G" obsolete. So Beamer and Foster modified it by moving their Rover LB into the secondary to act as a permanent safety type, while still allowing it to move up into the box when the WR tendencies showed that they weren't running deep. The SPUR hybrid position was born. And for those formative years, Lorenzo Ward was the secondary coach...

IMO Ward helped introduce the SPUR concept to Johnson: the Big East was one of the first conferences to experience the spread offense, and with the arrival of Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow the spread was spreading through the SEC like a wildfire. Johnson's 4-2-5 variation of the base 4-3-4 was a tad different than VT's customization of their 4-4 "G", but the philosophy of the hybrid SPUR and how it is utilized versus the spread is pretty much spot on.

I have never seen Johnson utilize the SPUR until he started doing it at USC with Coach Ward. I'm thinking that Ward is as knowledgeable of the system as Johnson is today. We'll see....

Complete BS...

Jun 7, 2012, 1:44 AM

The spur was not brought in by Ward. The Spur position in your defense was Ellis Johnon's doing.

That's a pretty neat story though.

Re: Complete BS...

Jun 7, 2012, 3:07 AM

There's no BS about it because that's not what I said...Johnson had commented about talking about the 4-2-5 scheme with Ward during their brief time at Arkansas, and how he wanted Ward specifically to come to USC once he got the DC job, to help implement it for the Gamecocks. He had to wait a season before that happened, but it did. It's a fact that Ward has more years coaching in the scheme than Johnson has...

Jun 5, 2012, 3:00 PM

Isn't depending on the other team to be worse in order to get a win somewhat of a loser's mentality?

I don't think companies plan to gain market share because of the competition getting worse. Companies gain market share by WINNING it away from the competition; by being better than the competition. Essentially, that is what makes capitalism so great - it forces improvement.

I am sure if you would read the messages on an Alabama board regarding a game with LSU or vice/versa, there is a respect for the opponent's talent but a confidence that one's own talent is better. I doubt the fanbases of either of those schools depend on the weakness of the other to be the reason for a win. They simply expect to be better than the best - it's a subtle but huge difference in attitude.

Jun 6, 2012, 7:39 PM

Wow, great point. Focus on being better not on your oppostion being weaker.

btw, for those "upset" by coots on tigernet, there are a few tiger fans on cockytalk. Good board that puts up with very little BS, in fact for those that want to talk crap with no facts, there is a smack talk forum. for those that like good sports conversation, its a great place and you'd be welcomed.

Jun 5, 2012, 3:57 PM

No, I don't see that at all. I think we are a slightly better football program. I think we are a good bit better at baseball and Tanner just reloads now. I think y'all are better at basketball even though we won last year. There is nothing I see that makes me think Clemson is about to regain any sort of dominance.

Re: Pushing against too strong a headwind in two of

Jun 5, 2012, 4:08 PM

your three feelings...

The SC baseball team is the youngest that Tanner has had at SC and while they lose Roth\Walker, it is fools gold to fantasize that Tanner isn't going to have solid replacements. Another trip to the CWS if they get by OU is only going to solidify their recruiting to follow the Top Class from last season. It is actually Clemson is the team losing the bulwark of their team and most dangerous player in Richie and much of their relievers.

As I posited before the football match is too tall an order as SC strenghts are uniquely situated to take advantage of Clemsons weaknesses while the strengths of Clemson barely threaten the weaknesses at SC. SCs strong time-consuming running game and domininate DL negate the Clemson WR advantage because it limits the number of touches for the offense and then does not allow Boyd the time to scan the field...SCs tactic of taking away Boyd first option by manhandling the WR until the weak OL is overmatched by SCs DL isn't going to be solved with this years OL group. Clemson's speed at WR does not shock and awe the SC secondary as it does to other ACC schools so the number of easy scores is migigated...primarily because by the time they see Clemson..SC has seen comparable WR corp at Ark\UT\UGA. And for all the talk about SC last of a passing game, everyone forgets they out passed Clemson last year??

It is simply too hard to realistically find any areas for 2012 in which the Tigers are so dramatically going to improve vs SC to overcome 463-169 yds\21 pts differences absent a load of devastating injuries to SC.

Now as to basketball....nothing but a mini-curse could ever explain losing at home to the team SC fielded this past season...it is unexplainable..

Re: Pushing against too strong a headwind in two of

Jun 5, 2012, 4:48 PM

until Dabo realizes that win on the OL and DL you are not going to get any better. The resurgence of SC was mostly due to the fact they replaced a bad OL coach

By sport:

Jun 5, 2012, 11:28 PM

1) Football - maybe. It really depends on the OL and Venables. I don't think there is much middle ground - we will either be really good or pretty bad.

Sorry but if USuC were really that much better of a team they would have beaten Auburn. We just didn't match up well against them - they had the better game plan. With Ellis gone and Venables on our side we SHOULD beat them.

2) Baseball - They will continue to beat us. We might take a few but Tanner is a great recruiter and coach and 2 NCs will get you a long way to more.

3) Basketball - We should win. Heck we should have the last few years. Martin will not last - he will end up running off pretty much any decent player they will get.

Re: By sport:

Jun 6, 2012, 12:20 AM

Only reason Scar lost to AU was Garcia. He was awful. I LOL'd. But, Shaw is tough and smart. I think we better just STHU and see what happens. I don't want three more years of false bravado!

Jun 6, 2012, 6:05 AM [ in reply to By sport: ]

Frank has run off players.

Jun 6, 2012, 4:47 PM

Hate to say it but Martin is bringing in some very good players. However I think there may be some character issues that pop up or else they would have already signed somewhere else !! jmo

Jun 6, 2012, 11:44 AM

nope

Jun 6, 2012, 3:51 PM

I expect the football game to be closer

3 years ago 17 point margin
2 years ago 22 point margin
1 year ago 21 point margin

This year I only expect Clemson to lose by 10-13. That would be improvement.

Jun 6, 2012, 4:49 PM

You know.....you're an awfull lot like your screen name !!

Jun 6, 2012, 4:56 PM

nope

in dabo you trust

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately...NO!***

Jun 6, 2012, 7:16 PM

history repeats itself

Jun 6, 2012, 7:22 PM

every time Usuck has gone on a streak we come back with an even longer one.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic