Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Latest from Dr Steve - warning easily offended don't read
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Latest from Dr Steve - warning easily offended don't read

Apr 11, 2020, 4:56 PM

Dear Dr. Steve,

I am confused by all the different public voices weighing in during the COVID-19 crisis. Which ones should I pay attention to?

Signed,

Befuddled

Dear B,

You have come to the right place. I am a doctor. And a fraud. Thus my resume is perfectly suited to the moment. Comes the hour, comes the scam.

Dr. Steve does not have a storefront, alas, which does hamper his potential activities. He finds himself envious of the store in Port Coquitlam that was offering products to protect people from COVID-19, run by a man who calls himself a doctor and a scientist. He claims degrees in nutrition and physiology. Well, in addition to the degree in centrifugal rhetoric listed above, Dr. Steve also boasts a PhD in mixology and has dabbled in cryonics. He is currently seeking test subjects for an experimental therapeutic frozen yogurt. Watch this space.

In Canada the scamming has been minimal so far. Medical spokespeople like Dr. Bonnie Henry and Dr. Theresa Tam are becoming heroes for briefing us with straight, solid information, detailing infection rates and reminding us of the importance of distancing and hand washing. Not only are they doctors, they also play them on TV. After this crisis is over Canadian versions of Grey’s Anatomy, The Good Doctor and other medical shows will all have to be dubbed by a Dr. Henry or a Dr. Tam. We shall accept no substitutes.

Canadian political leaders have stepped up, or tried to. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has attempted to keep Canadians up to date, in the process paraphrasing U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt who once said “Speak moistly and I’ll hit you with a big stick,” or something similar. Think deeply; laugh freely; but do not speak moistly.

As March came in like denial and went out like reality, the truth began to sink in, sometimes in surprising places. Ontario Premier Doug Ford did a shocking U-turn and began to sound compassionate and reasonable. His cabinet members probably wanted to have him tested for some sort of illness. Someday perhaps Ford may write a book about the three spirits who came to visit him one terrifying and life-changing night. Or perhaps in a few months he’ll steal Tiny Tim’s crutch and we’ll know he is back to being Doug Ford again.

Other politicians have been more consistent. In times like these people need steady reliability, and thank goodness Peter MacKay has provided it. Before the pandemic crisis, MacKay’s Conservative leadership campaign was a runaway train derailing and crashing into an exploding #### show. He has maintained that momentum. On April 8, Carleton University assistant professor Stephanie Carvin tweeted a statement she’d received from the MacKay campaign.

It read in part: “Canadians are a resilient people. We have overcome diversity before.”

Positively Churchillian. “We shall fight them on the beaches; we shall fight them on the landing grounds; we shall fight them in the shawarma joints and the Korean restaurants with all those weird, gristly menu items we don’t understand; we shall never surrender!”

South of the border though, it’s been scammier. Watching the Prevaricator-in-Chief go from predicting zero deaths to predicting hundreds of thousands of deaths was like watching Dr. Evil figure out inflation. Still, the White House upping the projected death toll to 240,000 seemed a rather transparent ploy. If King Edward III of England had been wise enough to proclaim “75 per cent of you will be dead in a year” during the Black Death pandemic, he could have stood up in 1350 and said “Not much more than 40 per cent. Nailed it!”

Trump’s bizarre promotion of hydroxychloroquine continued even as researchers refuted the notion that it is a proven treatment. Trump even shut down Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, before he could answer a question about the drug. It’s like America has a split personality these days. So when you are weighing information, Befuddled, try to remember: Dr. Jekyll is always more knowledgeable than President Hyde.

Of course, Jared Kushner gets to speak sometimes too. Dr. Steve is envious. Although not a medical doctor, Dr. Steve did once have a white coat and a stethoscope left over from a Halloween costume. If only he had kept them Dr. Steve could be addressing the White House press corps on COVID-19 measures right now.

Meanwhile, religious authority figures have suggested the coronavirus might be God’s punishment, among them Reverend Franklin Graham and His Holiness Hulk Hogan.

It’s a theory, certainly. But Americans who say COVID-19 is punishment from God never seem to consider the rather obvious situation that God might be pissed about. The allegations are stacking up: the amoral, adulterous, ####-star-boinking, teenage-locker-room-creeper currently in the White House makes King Herod look like Abraham Lincoln. If God is still in the smiting business, President Trump should soon be lunching on McDonald’s new Frog and Locust Quarter Pounder.

But in this unprecedented situation the public does not merely seek information from authority figures. They turn also to literature and cinema. This month the experience of watching post-apocalyptic movies has gone from “Wow, could that really happen?” to “Hey, they got that part wrong.”

Naturally we have also turned to poets, musicians and scribes for enlightenment and comfort. Bob Dylan has his first hit single in years with “Murder Most Foul,” a 17-minute long number about the Kennedy assassination.

Why not? We’ve got nothing else to do. To paraphrase an earlier Dylan classic, “The Times, They Are a-Draggin.” If you start listening to “Da Doo Ron Ron” by the Crystals at 1:06 p.m., it’s over before 1:09. You’ve still got the whole afternoon ahead of you. It’s just not enough.

As the pandemic continues songs ought to become progressively longer. Dylan should probably release a 13-day song about the Cuban Missile Crisis. It could become the next Tiger King. (That smash hit Netflix documentary series is pretty disturbing, but the most truly disturbing thing is watching “Tiger King” Joe Exotic run for president and seeing interviewees snicker at the idea that a skeevy, felonious narcissist could ever become president of the United States.)

In short, Befuddled, Dr. Steve suggests that you should pay attention to legitimate authorities. Doctors, for example. And Dr. Steve recommends his pineapple-flavoured frozen miracle cure, coming to select stores soon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Latest from Dr Steve - warning easily offended don't read

Apr 11, 2020, 5:46 PM

Trump’s bizarre promotion of hydroxychloroquine continued even as researchers refuted the notion that it is a proven treatment. Trump even shut down Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, before he could answer a question about the drug. It’s like America has a split personality these days. So when you are weighing information, Befuddled, try to remember: Dr. Jekyll is always more knowledgeable than President Hyde.

Actually, what's bizarre is the attack on HCQ as a candidate therapy. Do you think Trump came up that idea by himself? Did he get Johns Hopkins to consider it in it's list of potential therapies? Even Dr. Fauci said that he would prescribe it to a patient if he had no other option.

When Dr Fauci makes the statement about how we're seeing leveling of the curve and it's because of mitigation, I would love to ask him, "Hey Doc, Is that anecdotal opinion or is that based on science? How do you know social distancing is bending the curve? Where's your control group? Please explain the design of your clinical trial." Put that in your anecdotal pipe and smoke it.

HCQ a drug with a track record. I've personally been prescribed it as an anti-malarial to take on a trip to India. In full disclosure, I decided not to take it -- the potential side effects sounded worse than the risk of malaria for where I was going (Bangalore).

Johns Hopkins ABX Guide:
https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540747/all/Coronavirus_COVID_19__SARS_CoV_2_

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2020, 5:50 PM

It's an op ed humor. Maybe I have a sick sense of dry humor but it was never a post to be taken seriously.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2020, 6:11 PM

Oh, I get it now. ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Centrifugal Rhetoric'...

Apr 11, 2020, 6:16 PM

That's Tigernet...in spades! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 'Centrifugal Rhetoric'...

Apr 11, 2020, 6:47 PM

Thanks. @Salty55 that's what I was going for. He's a Canadian writer with The Tyee.ca. I'm electronically challenged but I cut out the ads.

Message was edited by: kerigantoo®

You got close

Apr 11, 2020, 7:55 PM

kerigantoo®! LOL! After you type @...take a deep breath, then type the user ID! ;) You're on the path! (Not sure where it leads...but...all the best!)

Apr 11, 2020, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Latest from Dr Steve - warning easily offended don't read ]

You misquoting Fauci on purpose or just parroting someone else who is?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2020, 6:34 PM

You guys know hw to type. I am jealous. To think I have been working all day!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2020, 7:02 PM

No, TO can type. I can just copy and paste. Actually, what TO responded is exactly right. I'm going to try and find that poster who wrote that. When I read it, I said that's tnet in a shell with a wit.

Ran across this fella when looking for the Canadian golf stats and tours.

I thank all for posting and I hope it makes a few people chuckle along the way. You should post more often.

@Salty55 is hilarious with his posts if you read tnet a lot. And both are way more knowledge than I'll ever be.

That was simply a propganda piece worthy of Pravda.

Apr 11, 2020, 7:41 PM

You really set things straight by sharing that
t.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: That was simply a propganda piece worthy of Pravda.

Apr 11, 2020, 8:29 PM

Well, I've never been to Russia. I appreciate you posting your opinion. Call me naive and non intellectual but I'm no communist... Anyway, it's not a bad read and I enjoy their style. Apparently many do. If it's your pleasure, you can read more about them here. Thanks.

https://thetyee.ca/About/Us/
">

Apr 11, 2020, 9:11 PM

I don't know how to post links using a smartphone, but I'll tell you about an article in Stat--apparently a medical journal--that tells us 1) why hydroxychloroquine is effective at one particular stage of the illness and 2) why ventilators sometimes do more harm than good to a Covid-19 patient.

Both of these finds are illogical to smart people whose intelligence doesn't extend to medicine but is restricted to judging other people's intelligence.

In layman's layman's terms, at a particular stage of the disease, both Covid-19 and malaria rob the body's hemoglobin of the ability to absorb and therefore transport oxygen. Hydroxychl---- remedies that problem (I'm not sure if it stops the effect or helps the body replace the hemoglobin or what). That's
why the two disease are similar even though they are not related.

Medical personnel report having Covid patients walk into their ERs with such low blood oxygen levels that they should be dead already by previous medical observations--yet they are just now realizing that they're sick.

They are also reporting that for those whose hemoglobin is totally corrupted, forcing O2 into their lungs with a ventilator can actually kill someone. The air pressure can be too high. Other breathing-assistance devices are more effective (in those cases) like a CPAP or BiPAP machine.

In short, we are learning more and more about this insidious disease all the time. Just like a technological problem, if the full weight of American can-do were brought to bear on this thing, we could kick its tail (after it got in a few licks first).

No one should be mocked for trying anything that seems to have a positive effect, or for suggesting that those methods might exist once we've studied the problem more. Frankly, the mockers should be shipped to China. Let them deal with opacity and stubbornness at the colossal level.

I will join the legion of blame-gamers just long enough to say that if the Chinese had given us the opportunity to treat this thing alongside them, we would have learned how to beat it and then shared that expertise with the world.

Two things:

Apr 11, 2020, 9:16 PM

Saturday night's alright for fighting...(Taupin said so...and Reg put it to music!)

It's also a night for humor...play along...it's healthy! ;)

Re: Two things:

Apr 12, 2020, 2:26 PM

Haha.
Thanks. My calendar failed to remind me what day it was.

Ise afeered ise lost track. All this sitting at home runs all my days together.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic