Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Last Time we opened a season with high expectations &
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,297

Last Time we opened a season with high expectations &

May 2, 2013, 12:23 PM

performed well?

Does anyone recall when this was?

I know in 2004 and 2008 specifically we had very high expectations, and completely fell flat on our face. Finished both seasons with near .500 records.

We don't seem to historically perform well when the media likes us. Which has me worried with all of these high praise articles I keep seeing linked here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Last Time we opened a season with high expectations &

May 2, 2013, 12:31 PM

2012.....several people thinking that would be our "break out" year at the beginning and shot at NC (even sports stations mentioning it early in the season until the FSU loss)...

but to end co-division champs, first 11 win season in years...Chick Fil A bowl win vs #8 in the nation LSU SEC team....can't say that's not performing well...

minus the FSU and SC hiccups, to end the season near top 10 and winning a bowl game against a top 10 ranked opponent is hardly a bad season.

1990, though you could argue it was a disappointment

May 2, 2013, 12:32 PM

That team was ranked in just about everyone's top 10 going into the season, including #1 by one publication. Ended up, of course, winning 10 games.

However, that team did not win the ACC and blew a golden opportunity for the national title considering GT won a share of it with Colorado. Clemson was better than both but blew it at UVA and had an awful first quarter doom them in Atlanta when we moved the ball all over GT but couldn't score TD's.

The good news is regarding this upcoming team compared to 2004 and 2008 is how much better on the line of scrimmage on both sides this team is versus those two.

May 2, 2013, 12:35 PM

Do you notice anything about those years and our historically bad years? We have a trend of failing on even numbered years and every 4 years historically.

Ended the season ranked: 91,93,00,03,05,07,09,11,12 (only 1 even years until last season)

Worst years: 2004,2008

Causes
1) 4 year turnover of the O-line. We tend to build a O-line from young players and after they graduate we struggle.

2) Alternating schedule of FSU/BC and thorn in our side games of Maryland/GT at home. When we play FSU/BC on the road we usually lose at least 1. GT and Maryland always give us problems and in these years we usually drop games we shouldn't at home.

I said at the beginning of last season, it was big because it could break the trend. This team has broken out of the mold of what we expect from Clemson. Based on the past 2013 should have been a big year, but after the success of 2012 it could be even bigger.

null

2012***

May 2, 2013, 12:37 PM

^^^this^^^^ He's right

May 2, 2013, 1:04 PM

that's the most recent time.

That's a very superficial way to look at it.

May 2, 2013, 12:42 PM

We haven't had this amount of talent and depth and lack of question marks going into a season since 1989. Throw in the fact that we have our best qb since 1981 and possibly ever and you should feel very good about this upcoming season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2013, 1:01 PM

I remember hearing about our o line issues in 08 during summer practice..so far tbrough out spring the word around the campfire hasn't been like that..we have questions just like every other team..everyone is well aware of issues on defense..but if we get some improvement in that area and the offense does what it is capable of then the ceiling should be pretty high in 2012..one thing that is reassuring is that Tajh Boyd is not Cullen Harper..he is both a weapon and a leader..and that 08 team didn't have a reciever anywhere near the caliber of Watkins..Jacoby Ford was fast but ....no where near as polished. ..I think we run with the big dogs in 2012 ..barring major injuries or loss of focus..as to who hoists the crystal. .who knows..but 08 looms in the back of my mind too...one can be optimistic but there's nothing wrong with a little skepticicsm

Skeptical: Clemson by ONLY 2 scores.***

May 2, 2013, 1:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Skeptical: Clemson by ONLY 2 scores.***

May 2, 2013, 1:18 PM

I don't care if it has to be a last field goal like the peach bowl..I'll take a w any way we can get it..2 scores would make for a more jovial experience though...Go Tigers

Hey Rip Van Winkle...

May 2, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Last Time we opened a season with high expectations & ]

you should check your calendar; it is 2013 now. ;)

May 2, 2013, 1:21 PM

Since Tommy Bowden is no longer our coach - I'm not really all that worried about having high expectations and failing miserably. These guys act like they want to be TIGERS - and TIGERS will kick your ###.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,297
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic