Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Landing at Inchon, South Korea (Continued)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Landing at Inchon, South Korea (Continued)

Aug 8, 2017, 8:11 PM

Upon our arrival at Inchon, we anchored about one-half mile off shore. The docks and other shoreline facilities had all been destroyed. We were to go in by landing craft. At last., my 1943 training climbing down a net on the side of a ship would come in handy because there was no gang plank or dock in sight.

The next morning we were awakened at 0300, had a hearty breakfast and were ordered to have all of our gear on deck. We waited all day for the landing crafts to come along side. At 1800, we were ordered back to our quarters. The tides and currents were too dangerous to attempt our going ashore. The next day we followed the same routine, up at 0300, breakfast and all gear on deck. We waited and waited for the arrival of the landing craft. We were told there would be hot food and coffee when we went ashore. Anything hot would have been welcome because because it was cold on that steel deck.

About 1800, the landing crafts began arriving. We were told this was as good as it was going to get, referring to the tides and currents. When I looked down and saw those landing craft bobbing up and down about four to six feet and bouncing away from the ship side, that didn't give me a happy feeling. Everything I possessed was on my back, my shoulders or around my waist. Over the side I went. The net was swaying, the ship was swaying and the landing craft I was supposed to board was swaying in addition to bobbing up and down. While getting closer to the bottom it was evident I had to make several good decisions. I had to jump into the landing craft when it was at the peak of the wave or at the lowest point and when it was nearest the ship or else. That "or else" as not something I wanted to explore. I decided I would jump or fall when the landing craft was at the peak of the wave because that was when it was close to the ship. My timing was perfect and I was safely aboard.

When our craft was loaded we headed for the landing spot. Or at least that was our intention. The currents were so strong our craft was pushed aside as if it was a match box. Everyone on our craft was giving the Navy operator a hard time. After several attempts, we finally hit the bank with a good jolt. It was now about midnight and the temperature had dropped a few more degrees. But we were now ashore in Korea, "The land of the Morning Calm", ready for some hot food and a cup of coffee, but there was none in sight.

Well, it's been almost 67 years. Surely that hot meal and cup of coffee will be ready soon. I'm still waiting !!!!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Landing at Inchon, South Korea (Continued)

Aug 8, 2017, 8:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORilghHW0UQ

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Landing at Inchon, South Korea (Continued)

Aug 8, 2017, 8:53 PM

You are a hero. You certainly deserve the hot coffee and a hot meal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic