Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LSU & Bama In Doesn't Mean Clemson Is Out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

LSU & Bama In Doesn't Mean Clemson Is Out

Nov 7, 2019, 3:30 PM

I don't understand the narrative (provided this week by Andrea Adelson) behind this thought. So LSU and Alabama both get in the playoff. An undefeated Big Ten champion (Ohio State or Penn State) gets in the playoff. Three spots are taken.

That still leaves a fourth spot. And in no way, shape or form do I believe (1) the Big Ten is getting two teams in OR (2) any other 1-loss conference champion (Pac 12, Big 12) would jump an unbeaten Clemson in the rankings.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LSU & Bama In Doesn't Mean Clemson Is Out

Nov 7, 2019, 3:49 PM

If an undefeated P5 program conference champion is ever left out of the CFP there wouldn't be a CFP the following season. The CFP was created so that their undefeated conference champions have a seat at the table.

Do the math. It would severely damage college football and send the sport into a nosedive.

Remember the BCS 'Bama vs. LSU for the natty? Yep...that's why the CFP was created.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 4:09 PM

So what happens when either Bama or LSU wins a close game then Georgia wins a close one in the SECCG giving you 3 SEC teams WITH ONLY ONE LOSS EACH, and Ohio State wins out at 13-0. Which SEC team gets left out?

Nov 7, 2019, 4:13 PM

In that particular case, the loser of LSU and Alabama would be out.

Nov 7, 2019, 5:31 PM

I think the loser of the SEC Championship is out in that situation.

They would have a worse loss (to UGA), and it would be more fresh in the minds of the committee. That said, I'm not sure 2 get in in that situation if there are other 1-loss conference champs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 11:20 PM

I'm thinking, in that situation, that Georgia becomes the highest ranked team of the three; thus the loss the division winner takes is the best loss. They're all going to be similar in strength of schedule, strength of record, etc. The true separators there would be conference championships and head-to-head results.

I do agree to your point about not being sure two get in with other one-loss champions in the mix. This year, there's a deeper mix of candidates from multiple conferences than there was in 2017 when both Alabama and Georgia got in.

Nov 8, 2019, 10:12 AM

Good point about UGA likely being the highest ranked at that point.

Also agree that it will depend on the outcomes of those games...
Say Bama blows out LSU, and then loses by a point to UGA, it would be hard to rank LSU above Bama. But if Bama beats LSU by 1, and then loses by 30 to UGA, LSU should be ranked higher than Bama due to a more competitive loss and likely stronger schedule (UF>SC, Tenn=Vandy, Texas probably slightly better win than Duke). Other results vs common opponents could come into play here though.

If it's switched and LSU beats Bama and they both win out, LSU is in the driver's seat because Bama will basically only have 1 "good" win (Auburn). LSU will have Bama, Auburn, Florida and Texas (assuming they lose to UGA as that is how this whole thing started).

The committee goes directly into the room to determine the final rankings after the championship games end. A loss in the championship game would be difficult to overcome if there are any other comparable options, unless it looks like a complete fluke loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: LSU & Bama In Doesn't Mean Clemson Is Out ]

In the near future, unless there is a 2 loss champion of another conference, the SEC championship will be the extra game in the playoff. Meaning SEC will normally duke it out for one spot. On rare occasions they may have an extra team jump a one loss conference champion. But my prediction this week is if Tua is healthy then Bama will beat the fake Death Valley by 17 or more. LSU to me is way overrated just like the teams they have beat. Texas(turning out to be worse than A&M) and Florida(remember how they squeaked by that powerhouse Miami).

Nov 7, 2019, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: LSU & Bama In Doesn't Mean Clemson Is Out ]

At this point, you should probably quit watching.

Witnessing all of the idiotic posts on this board over the past week is proof positive that people clearly aren't very intelligent. :(

If this offends you...then you're exactly who I'm talking about. Stay off the internet, and please don't ever vote (again).

I'd rather run my head through a meat-grinder than see any more nonsense like this.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 4:58 PM

The Big 10 would actually have a better argument if a previously undefeated Penn State loses close at Ohio State. I don't know how much anybody worries, but with the lack of consistency it is easy to come up with hypotheticals that would make you wonder.

If LSU loses a close one at Bama, LSU will probably still be

Nov 7, 2019, 11:48 PM

ranked ahead of Clemson! Sucks, but probably true!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 11:53 PM

A one loss PAC-12 or Big 10 champion should be in over a SEC divisional also ran without question. The SEC preseason rankings are what drive these mythical top 15 wins.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic