Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LONGHORN STEAKHOUSE REVIEW
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

LONGHORN STEAKHOUSE REVIEW

Nov 14, 2018, 9:23 AM

So, the Mom-in-law birthday bash went off without a hitch last night. It never ceases to amaze me how a place like that can be nearly empty, and yet still be so loud and acoustically challenging to comprehend conversation with the people right beside you. There's got to be some design there, because every corporate interstate exit restaurant is like that.

I wasn't terribly hungry since I normally don't eat at 6:00 pm like I'm in the last wave of dining hall patrons at a nursing home, so I went with the 6 oz. sirloin. The steak was decent enough, they season it a little too much but not so much that it's off-putting. I ordered it rare thinking that the greasy high school drop-out dolt cooking it would most likely overcook the steak and I would get a perfectly done medium rare cut but it came out a perfect rare. Maybe that's one of the benefits of going on a rainy Tuesday...the cook had nothing better to than get the order right.

The steak came with a surprisingly decent salad, and maybe the most pedestrian french fries I have ever eaten in my life. Nothing special about the fries whatsoever. Not that they were bad by any stretch, but they made me wish I had ordered another side.

All things considered, it was a decent enough meal, I didn't have to cook or clean to get it, and it's always nice to hang with the family (I actually LIKE my in-laws) for a bit. I won't say that I'm anxiously awaiting next year's edition from a culinary standpoint, but I won't balk at going when the time comes around.

Interesting side note: of the 10 adults present, only THREE of us ate beef. Mrs. Tig had just the chili cheese fries appetizer as a meal, and the remaining six adults had chicken. Might as well of gone to KFC, LOLUTZ.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LONGHORN STEAKHOUSE REVIEW

Nov 14, 2018, 9:27 AM

WHAT DID THEY THINK IT WAS THE LONGHORN CHICKENHOUSE? LOL

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TLDR...

Nov 14, 2018, 9:29 AM

;)

He didn't eat pickles.***

Nov 14, 2018, 10:49 AM

Nov 14, 2018, 9:41 AM

I have learned that everytime I have to hit one of these types of place (becuase they all sit beside a Marriott on the interstate) I drink these heavily before the people I am meeting show up or the food is ready. Makes it much better experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always tough for me to go out for a steak.

Nov 14, 2018, 9:47 AM

Bc I can pay 8$ for a porterhouse at grocery store and grill it myself w a baked potato and salad, or pay $35 for same meal at steakhouse.

I prefer to eat out w dishes that are harder to cook and would take me a lot of effort to recreate

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chili cheese fries?

Nov 14, 2018, 9:49 AM

While you may have been eating angus, she better have been preparing hers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Nov 14, 2018, 10:23 AM

Hearing at any venue with background noise was the first indication my hearing was failing. I know you are younger than me but it started in my early fifties. Definitely some hereditary issues with me, add in 70s loud rocknroll and people think I'm deaf when I ax them to repeat things.

On the other hand my lip reading and body language skills are improving. Hate to spend couple thousand for hearing aids when I can just say "Eh? Speak up! You're mumbling!" Just like my father did.

Just sayin, I know you like your War Pigs...LOUD!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I has a confuse about the number of people who ate beef.

Nov 14, 2018, 10:31 AM

Isn't chili cheese fries beef?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats ONE guess.***

Nov 14, 2018, 10:36 AM

The ambient noise is by design. its a study in consumer

Nov 14, 2018, 10:35 AM

behavior.

A Texas roadhouse, longhorns etc is a mid teir steakhouse and prices are "reasonable." Therefore the turnover of the tables generate increase sales. The restaurant is designed to get you in and out in a specific time; probably an hour. In a Ryan's that number would be 30-45 minutes. Everything inside is designed to hit that number. The "comfort" of the chairs, the lighting and noise level in the dining area, the level of service you receive, the portion size etc. They know exactly how much you are going to spend and how long it will take you to spend it.

Its all designed to get you in and out in a time frame for them to turn the table and reseat.

Contrast that to a Ruth Chris or Chophouse. thats designed to KEEP you in your seat. The meal is just the anchor to get you there. The wine, the drinks, the appetizers and desserts are where the money is. Therefore they are dimly lit, comfortable and quieter. Not quiet, because you want some hustle and bustle to get you "in the mood."

Its all science and they know it to a T.

It may be a science, but I don't think most of them get it

Nov 14, 2018, 10:48 AM

right. My biggest pet peeve eating out is constantly being hassled by the waiter/waitress. Drives me insane, use a little judgment. It's something that should be so easy for everyone, but so often seems so hard for the waiter. It's like hey, we just got our beers 2 minutes ago and haven't even opened the menu, do you think we're ready to order? Leave me alone and I'll probably order another beer, or 3. You start bugging me and I'll get out of there in your allotted amount of time, but don't expect me back any time soon.

In my brief restaurant career, every time I saw a manager trying to manage it via analytics(for lack of a better word), it never worked. They try to move tables faster, you #### people off. Diming the lights is also off-putting. Stop tweaking the menu every other week too.

You know what the #1 thing I've seen that gets people coming back? Free rolls. Free rolls can overcome a lot of your restaurants shortcomings. Kitchen's slow, you've bought yourself some time with the rolls. Everyone is much more forgiving when they've already got some sort of food on the table.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tended bar there in grad school one night a week

Nov 14, 2018, 10:36 AM

they gave me a staff meal, I usually picked the cajun prime rib, medium rare with loaded baked potato and side salad. They don't do well with ribeyes or strips but make a decent prime rib. They actually get their meat from the same parent company as outback. just an fyi.

Been there a handful of times in the past 5 years whenever

Nov 14, 2018, 10:41 AM

pops wants to take the fam out for a cheap meal. I don't think I've ever ordered a steak there, because it seems kinda sketchy. The chicken entree with mushrooms and...other stuff that I forget, is actually quite edible--good, even.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m with you, can’t stand pedestrian fries.

Nov 14, 2018, 10:50 AM

Prefer they be immobile.

But you're old..... how old is your MIL?

Nov 14, 2018, 10:52 AM

100?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

IF you'd have gone to KFC they'd...

Nov 14, 2018, 11:18 AM

probably want a hamburger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ain't that the truth.***

Nov 14, 2018, 11:19 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic