Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can anyone explain the Boulware "Suplex" penalty to me?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 251

Can anyone explain the Boulware "Suplex" penalty to me?

Nov 6, 2016, 11:17 AM

I noticed we had quite a few T-Netters scolding him following the penalty, but I'm still not clear exactly what he did wrong. There may well be a rule against what he did, I just can't find it. I asked this yesterday, and all I got was "You can't suplex somebody" or "you can't lift a player above your head". That may be, but I can't find it in the rules and would appreciate if someone would point it out to me. I jokingly suggested that he must have just tackled him too hard, then Dabo later said that's exactly what the ref told him, and I'm pretty sure there's not a rule against tackling too hard.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It was a subjective call. Plain and simple.

Nov 6, 2016, 11:19 AM

The crowd loved it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: It was a subjective call. Plain and simple. yes the

Nov 6, 2016, 11:21 AM

wussification of america and the refs. he landed on his shoulder. Bens reputation got that penaltyi

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he violated the unwritten rule against "tackling too hard."***

Nov 6, 2016, 11:30 AM [ in reply to It was a subjective call. Plain and simple. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Pissing off wimps across the nation******

Nov 6, 2016, 1:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: It was a subjective call. Plain and simple.

Nov 6, 2016, 2:58 PM [ in reply to It was a subjective call. Plain and simple. ]

Ben "Given Him Da' Business" ... right out of Ron Cherry's rule book :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ellington was tackled like that.

Nov 6, 2016, 11:19 AM

I think it was the LSU game and no rag hit the ground.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's called a 15 yard penalty for being awesome and firing

Nov 6, 2016, 11:23 AM

up the crowd.

penalty well spent !!!!!!

null

Is there a rule simply against "excessive force"?

Nov 6, 2016, 11:25 AM

I really don't know but if there is maybe they applied that?

null

Uhh yeah, its called Unnecessary Roughness....

Nov 6, 2016, 11:29 AM

and thats what was called.

It was wrong IMO, but still called.

Re: Uhh yeah, its called Unnecessary Roughness....

Nov 6, 2016, 11:40 AM

I believe unsportsmanlike conduct was the call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Maybe, but I didn't hear the ref say that either, nor do I

Nov 6, 2016, 11:46 AM

understand how that was unsportsmanlike by rule.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Maybe, but I didn't hear the ref say that either, nor do I

Nov 6, 2016, 11:46 AM

See my post below... I think it was the celebration afterwards that drew the flag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would have been "Unsportsmanlike Conduct", not

Nov 6, 2016, 12:02 PM

"Personal Foul", which was the call.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: That would have been "Unsportsmanlike Conduct", not

Nov 6, 2016, 12:20 PM

Unsportsmanlike Conduct is a Personal Foul... normally called in the following manner: "Personal Foul, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, #10. That is his first personal foul." Yesterday's call was a bit odd because there was no qualifier. It was simply called "Personal Foul" without specifying.

I don't think so. Personal Fouls comprise Section 1 of

Nov 6, 2016, 12:26 PM

Rule 9, while Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls are a completely different category, comprising Section 2.

- H. L. Mencken

I don't think so

Nov 6, 2016, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe, but I didn't hear the ref say that either, nor do I ]

Because later in the game he does celebrate towards the cuse sideline and gets a warning/talking to. Doesn't make much sense that the flag wouldn't be thrown if he had been penalized for it earlier.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't hear the ref say "unnecessary roughness", only

Nov 6, 2016, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Uhh yeah, its called Unnecessary Roughness.... ]

"personal foul", and after scouring Rule 9 which covers personal fouls, unnecessaryroughness and illegal tackles, I don't see anything prohobiting what Boulware did, or even close.

- H. L. Mencken

But wouldn't Unnecessary Roughness be a ref's opinion?

Nov 6, 2016, 11:49 AM

They won't describe all the ways you can be unnecessarily rough in the rule book.

Just my opinion but I'm okay with the call.

null

That could be, and that's probably the best explanation

Nov 6, 2016, 12:10 PM

I've heard yet, but the way this play developed, with Boulware behind the runner (who was fighting and still pulling forward), I think what Boulware did was reasonable and not unnecessarily rough. His only alternatives were to just try to hang on and risk the runner picking up more yards and/or breaking free, or forcefully yank him backwards like he did.

- H. L. Mencken

I just watched it again and it is a joke that the announcer

Nov 6, 2016, 2:47 PM

says "CLEARLY forward progress was stopped." Ridiculous! If forward progress was stopped someone needed to tell the opposing player who was still trying to break free, and the refs who I guess forgot that they blow the whistle to indicate the play is over.

But Boulware had to twist the player over to his side once he lifted him. Bringing him up over his head is what drew the penalty in my opinion.

null

Re: Can anyone explain the Boulware "Suplex" penalty to me?

Nov 6, 2016, 11:26 AM

He was being a meany!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it was a combination of 'big hit' and a whistle

Nov 6, 2016, 11:30 AM

right as he started to lift him, so it appeared excessive and unnecessary. I personally think it was a late whistle and Ben was already mid-lift, so not sure what he could have done to ensure he'd stopped the receiver without letting him gain yards.

Clemson

It wasn't even close - the whistle didn't blow until well

Nov 6, 2016, 11:43 AM

after the suplex. Foward progress had not been stopped and the runner was just beginning to try and escape the tackle.

- H. L. Mencken

It shouldn't have been a foul. Ive seen many players get suplexed and no call.

Nov 6, 2016, 11:51 AM

The whistle blew right in the middle of the belly to back suplex. The ref was probably caught off guard and didn't know what to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought he was flagged for taunting their bench...

Nov 6, 2016, 11:39 AM

It's not clear to me it was the hit. Dabo did say the ref told him Ben hit the guy too hard, but I think that was a joke. I believe he might have been called for directing his celebration at the Syracuse bench.

Clear cut case of...

Nov 6, 2016, 11:45 AM

Giving him the business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

c'mon, you know that was excessive.....

Nov 6, 2016, 12:08 PM

if someone had done that to D. Watson or Gallman, this place would have had an absolute meltdown and demanded that player be ejected for the rest of the season.

I honestly don't think it was "excessive" in this case.

Nov 6, 2016, 12:29 PM

If there is a rule that prohibits it, that's fine.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: c'mon, you know that was excessive...

Nov 6, 2016, 1:59 PM [ in reply to c'mon, you know that was excessive..... ]

We get upset over GTs blocking and that's legal. Just cause we don't agree doesn't make it so.

Apparently....

Nov 6, 2016, 1:53 PM

hurting a players feelings is a 15-yard penalty now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 6, 2016, 2:04 PM

It is illegal to pick a player off their feet and slam them. I have seen it called before but I habve seen Ben do it before as well. It was the right call.

LOL!***

Nov 6, 2016, 2:21 PM

Re: LOL!***

Nov 6, 2016, 3:44 PM

What is the lol? It is a rule.

Nov 6, 2016, 3:48 PM

It's not a rule. Show me in your mythological rule book.

Nov 6, 2016, 4:00 PM

It is a rule how have you never heard that before

Nov 6, 2016, 4:27 PM

Thank u for your NFL link, where all the rules are exactly the same. There is no college rule against it, you're an idiot.

Nov 6, 2016, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: LOL!*** ]

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/not-the-wwe-mike-pereira-explains-why-body-slam-is-illegal-in-nfl-092715.

Not positive about college but I have seen it called before.

If the whistle hasn't blown, clean play.***

Nov 6, 2016, 2:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't there a rule "don't hurt the other player's feelings"

Nov 6, 2016, 3:29 PM

Maybe it's unwritten?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2016, 4:40 PM

I just hope it never happens to one of our players. I would hate to see the names the defender would be called.

Maybe this will help

Nov 6, 2016, 6:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E618GbkrDbc

Replies: 41
| visibility 251
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic