Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seeking sirius council my TNet homeboys and girls
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Seeking sirius council my TNet homeboys and girls

Jun 28, 2016, 9:33 AM

So my wife and I were involved in an auto accident a few weeks ago. Guy T-Boned us in the passenger side, completely his fault. He was accelerating the whole time, never touched his breaks.

Oh yeah, he was driving a company car.

Anyway in the car were me, my wife and my sister in law. They had to cut my wife out of the car because of the damage to it. All three of us had to be transported to the ER for injuries. Turns out nothing severe. Just my wife's hip was black as night for about a week, and I had spinal fusion surgery on my back in 2012, and it's been hurting ever since.

So they totaled the car. The insurance adjuster said we can discuss settlement at my convenience. So I emailed him back and said we were ready. He then replies and says, "we don't give a number. I ask the complainants to give a number of what they feel they deserve and we go from there."

So, my question is, where do I start? How high is too high? We're a single car family with two children so to say this has been an inconvenience is a severe understatement.

Just need some advice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really your only option.

Jun 28, 2016, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You need to hire an attorney, seriously.

Jun 28, 2016, 9:37 AM

Do not give them a settlement number. It's their job to settle for as little as possible. You can probably expect to pay a PI attorney ~33% but it will be well worth it for you, both because they will get the insurance company to settle for a much higher amount, and because you don't have to deal with that crap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^ 1000 times this; never, EVER agree to anything, other

Jun 28, 2016, 9:44 AM

than letting the nice insurance adjuster know your attorney will be in contact.

oh, and that 33%[tay high] is negotiable in every state of which i'm aware.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i would ask for a high number, if they don't agree then

Jun 28, 2016, 9:53 AM [ in reply to You need to hire an attorney, seriously. ]

hire a lawyer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not always. Not all lawyers are created equal either. They

Jun 28, 2016, 9:55 PM [ in reply to You need to hire an attorney, seriously. ]

have their place and certain situations they are needed for certain. If you hire the wrong one, in an unnecessary situation you aren't any better off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you hire the wrong plumber or electrician, go to the

Jun 29, 2016, 9:54 AM

wrong doctor or mechanic, seek guidance from the wrong financial planner or just need simple directions from point A to point B, you run the risk of something going wrong.

it's not just lawyers that have the imperfect gene; you have a heaping, helping of it as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like you need a lawyer.

Jun 28, 2016, 9:38 AM

I can't imagine you will get fair treatment from the insurance company without one. They love people who have no legal representation who don't know the true extent of their injuries and what they are legally entitled to.

Re: Seeking sirius council my TNet homeboys and girls

Jun 28, 2016, 9:39 AM

Ask for 500k

Jun 28, 2016, 9:41 AM

If they turn you down tell them the next offer will come from a lawyet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

$69 and a case of Busch Gold Tops is my FINAL offer***

Jun 28, 2016, 9:42 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $69 and a case of Busch Gold Tops is my FINAL offer***

Jun 28, 2016, 9:43 AM

LOL @ poors who can't afford good beer like Bud Light

Tally up a replacement car, medical bills, pain & suffering

Jun 28, 2016, 9:44 AM

and then add in the caveat that you'd like the driver's bleached skull to leisurely sip champagne out of. Of course they should supply the champagne as well....and not the cheap stuff. At the very least a Veuve Clicquot Yellowboam Ostrich Limited, but preferably Dom Pérignon Rose Gold.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a bottle of '72 Dom just recently...***

Jun 28, 2016, 9:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol at being so poor you have to drink 44 year old champagne***

Jun 28, 2016, 10:12 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was just fine, ....surprisingly.***

Jun 28, 2016, 11:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and by the way, other than a few medical bills contested,

Jun 28, 2016, 11:25 AM [ in reply to lol at being so poor you have to drink 44 year old champagne*** ]

I don't owe anybody anything, period. So, so poor...."lol".

Re: Tally up a replacement car, medical bills, pain & suffering

Jun 28, 2016, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Tally up a replacement car, medical bills, pain & suffering ]

Add in +33% you would pay to a stupid personal injury lawyer on top of it.

You don't need a lawyer, just some negotiating skills.

Definitely threaten a lawyer, but try to git her done w/o losing 33% of your soul.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2016, 9:45 AM

Are you for real? Get your A$S to a lawyer asap, all three of you. Y'all don't have any idea of what an impact like that will cause to you down the road. Once you sign the settlement papers, THAT'S IT, no other financial help for any of you!!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2016, 9:50 AM

Won't hurt a thing to throw them a number, 500k is a tad low in my opinion. If they make you happy throw in future medical if problems occur. I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Before you do anything else,

Jun 28, 2016, 9:48 AM

pic of wife's hip?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a lawyer. You're already in the wrong frame of mind

Jun 28, 2016, 9:50 AM

when you ask Tigernet "How high is too high?" Too high? What is that? Are you afraid of hurting their feelings?

null

Re: Get a lawyer. You're already in the wrong frame of mind

Jun 28, 2016, 10:03 AM

Agree, my full intentions would be to really, really, really hurt some feeling in that situation!!! Make them squall out very loud!!!!

LAWYERUP

Jun 28, 2016, 9:51 AM

#@@@!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: LAWYERUP

Jun 28, 2016, 10:07 AM

Yes sirree, my Lawyer would have better gotten there before the ambulance at accident site!!!

i would go for this

Jun 28, 2016, 9:55 AM

if you're a Seinfeld fan, youd know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2016, 9:56 AM

I'm sure you have heard the truth before about people representing them selves, they are complete IDIOTS. That type of accident is worth a lot more than you would think or believe. And if it were the other way around, they would squeeze you and your insurance company like an orange juice squeezer to get every penny you had!!!

It's much easier to make money off of a lawsuit

Jun 28, 2016, 10:07 AM

than it is to work for it. We live in a society where it pay$ to hire a lawyer even if they do get a third of the winnings.

One of my kids was in a accident last year where his car was totaled completely. He was banged up a bit but didn't really get hurt. It was the other person's fault, they admitted it. The insurance company gave us a low number. We had about 20 offers from lawyers to take our case. We went back and forth with the insurance company a couple of times and I ended up with a fair value to me. Maybe $1000 more than it cost me to replace the car.

I could have made a lot more with a lawyer, but I thought we came to a fair agreement.

Both of my other kids were on the other end of a fender bender, it was their fault. In both cases nobody was injured and everyone drove home. In one case the guys settled with the insurance company, they fixed his car. The other case took over a year and they settled a couple of days before the court date, I have no clue what they settled for. My wife and kid were freaking out because our insurance company kept telling us we needed to hire a lawyer because they were suing for more than $100,000 which was our limit on her car. A minor fender bender, I never even fixed her car except for the headlight. Some people take advantage of the system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said. Unfortunately, a lot of the jurors are awarding

Jun 28, 2016, 10:12 PM

"Lottery money" for small cases. We all pay the price. Higher insurance, higher taxes( more court cases) . If you happen to be at fault or on the other end of the stick, you better have high liability coverage if you have liquid assets.

Call Chuck Allen in Anderson, now.***

Jun 28, 2016, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is he sober?***

Jun 28, 2016, 1:52 PM

not.a.chance.***

Jun 28, 2016, 6:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LAWYER, LAWYER, LAWYER....

Jun 28, 2016, 10:20 AM

I was in this same spot about 8 years ago. Guy hit my wife's car while she was at a total stop at a red light. A bit more complicated because he had no insurance and the wreck resulted in back surgery for her. We would've been in way over our heads without an attorney.

The litigious society in which we live makes me sick sometimes but in this situation you'd be crazy not to lawyer up.

somewhere around tree fiddy

Jun 28, 2016, 10:37 AM

would be a good starting point.

Five for negotiation room...;~)***

Jun 28, 2016, 11:27 AM

We'll need pigs of wife and SIL before we can decide***

Jun 28, 2016, 11:19 AM

Where are you? I can probably recommend a good

Jun 28, 2016, 12:01 PM

lawyer, one that will get you way ahead of the contingecy fee. Tmail me if you prefer.

Absolutely DO NOT lawyer-up.....

Jun 28, 2016, 1:26 PM

This is something you can certainly handle yourself with minimal guidance.

Do not pay an attorney 33% of your settlement for doing something you're fully capable of doing yourself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

at what point does seeking help from tnet start to look like

Jun 28, 2016, 3:04 PM

not being able to handle it himself?

just curious.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

OK...good point....

Jun 28, 2016, 4:28 PM

I got nothin' !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow, thats so gracious of you

Jun 28, 2016, 4:37 PM

but you know I gotta give myself a trophy for this, right?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

I was in an automobile accident last December

Jun 28, 2016, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Absolutely DO NOT lawyer-up..... ]

and the other driver admitted fault. I hired an attorney to take care of it and I AM AN ATTORNEY. Not getting a lawyer who specializes in these cases is a huge mistake. First, the amount of time I would have had to spend on my own settlement more than made up for the attorney fees. Second, the difference in settlement amount of what I would have gotten vs what my attorney got more than made up for the attorney fees.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

So how many times did the ambulance chaser....

Jun 28, 2016, 4:27 PM

run you back and forth to the chiropractor and PT's office in order to inflate the value of your claim?

Looks like you've got GWP right where you want him.

Jun 28, 2016, 5:36 PM

#welldone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

None, why?***

Jun 28, 2016, 5:49 PM [ in reply to So how many times did the ambulance chaser.... ]

Ohhhh I see

Jun 28, 2016, 7:56 PM

The ambulance chaser hired a limo to drive you around.... BRILLIANT!

So, it is about how much money you get and more is

Jun 28, 2016, 6:23 PM [ in reply to I was in an automobile accident last December ]

better? Why not realize that it was an accident, get your bills paid and a few extra bucks for your trouble?

No, it's about time and money, try to keep up

Jun 28, 2016, 7:00 PM

I didn't have time to go back and forth with the insurance company negotiating. I lose more money personally by doing that than I would gain through getting a "few extra bucks for your trouble."

Plus, with "a few extra bucks for your trouble" the insurance adjuster wants you to justify every single dollar you ask for. I don't practice PI law, so I don't know what that "trouble" is worth or how to justify it. My attorney did, filled out all paperwork for me, and got it done,

The question is, why wouldn't I have hired an attorney?

Jun 28, 2016, 2:54 PM

You really, really, really need a lawyer. Insurance adjusters are paid to insure you get as little compensation as possible, fair or not. They're professionals, they do this for a living and they're very good at it.

Your just a driver with no hint of the legal or medical ramifications of the accident on you and your family.

Lawyer....asap.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better call Saul....***

Jun 28, 2016, 7:32 PM

you need to ask what the other driver's policy limits were. After that, you probably need to ask

Jun 28, 2016, 8:24 PM

For the full amount of the policy limits. I hope for your sake that he had more than the minimals.

Assuming you and wife are ok, just heavy bruising

Jun 28, 2016, 9:42 PM

No follow up treatment 2-3k + bills is about all you are looking at and depending on the carrier, they may not agree to that without a lawyer, but you can ask. If you have need for follow- up care, that could increase the value depending on what's wrong.

Biggest factor in SC in venue. Greenville very conservative. The above # would be upstate SC number

You've already made two mistakes.

Jun 29, 2016, 1:20 PM

Relating your back injury to a previous surgery and not contacting a lawyer. Did you photograph your and your wife's injuries? Do you have xrays and scans to inspect possible damage? How do you know you're ok if you haven't been thoroughly examined?

Perhaps if you agree that you've made mistakes then it's time to contact a lawyer.

Typically, these type accidents are settled for between 4 and 10 times the amount of the medical bills. Property loss is usually within 15% of the actual property value.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic