»
Topic: LA Times Dabo Story
Replies: 16   Last Post: Oct 5, 2019 1:47 PM by: colberttiger
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 16  

LA Times Dabo Story

[6]
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 7:51 AM

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-10-04/clemson-dabo-swinney-ncaa-paying-players

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

I felt like this was mostly fair to him though there are

[2]
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 8:01 AM

A couple of jabs in there. It is at least a more complete story than what others are willing to write

military_donation.jpg

I agree.......It may be a good thing that I haven't

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 9:12 AM

seen that NY article.

The NY Times article was awful. No research, just blasting

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 9:28 AM

Dabo for not giving KB a NC ring, and blasting Dabo for his huge salary.

Re: LA Times Dabo Story

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 9:18 AM

Interesting story, a lot more objective than some of the
clickbait stories calling Dabo entitled and a hypocrite
like the UNC student ignoring his university's entitlement
and hypocrisy. Commendable that Dabo is pushing education
and wanting to tie financial incentives to graduation.

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

This LA Times story provided Dabo with the

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 9:25 AM

opportunity to list the many problems he sees with paying players. I agree with everything he said.

Dabo telling his story should let the average fan appreciate where his heart is on this issue. A college degree stays with you for the rest of your life. A few dollars because you sign an autograph, or someone buys a jersey with your number is not going to last very long. What do you do when you have two players with the same number? We've got a handful of those. The bottom line, less than 1% of college players make it to the NFL, and most of those have very limited careers. Once you get beyond the top rounds of the draft, the contracts signed are good, but not life changing.

So instead of paying players under the table, SEC schools

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 12:38 PM

would be able to promise to buy lots of signed memorabilia from star players, guaranteed?

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Photobucket is holding my sig pic hostage. Screw them.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 10:04 AM

But Clemson was not founded in a town of 17,000. When Clemson was founded, there was no town.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 10:44 AM

one quibble: the term "clemsoning" never referred to choking a big game away. it came from Clemson's habit of managing to lose to really bad teams, inexplicably, and sometimes looking thoroughly dominated in the process, like the game against UNC when UNC looked terrible, or that time Wake Forest ran rings around us, or the occasional loss to Duke.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 11:09 AM

They are just trying to make sure no more Cali players leave the state to come to Clemson.

Dabo is right, as always.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 11:16 AM

College sports are AMATEUR sports. If people think coaches are paid too much and that there is too much money in college football, pumping more $$$ by paying players is NOT the solution.

I'd support a minor league football league before I would support paying college athletes.

And any sports writer who references Clemsoning is DEAD TO ME!!!

GO TIGERS! GO DABO!

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

People forget Dabo's starting salary as a head coach...

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 11:29 AM

lowest paid coach in the conference with incentives for winning. His salary was built on results. I'd be more apt to question someone like Muschamp even if he is making half of what Dabo is making.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

For something coming out of Californica, it is actually kind

[1]
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 11:36 AM

of lucid. That in itself is a surprise.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 11:46 AM

there are some solutions here, if the NCAA had any teeth and in the name of parity.

Put a cap on the amount a d1 programs can pay its coaches and eliminate endorsement deals. this would do wonders for parity.
You do not want 18-22 year old kids with too much cash, set up a trust fund and pay it to them after they graduate, insuring that it is a consistent amount between all programs and also based on how many years they stay as well as academic performance.
Allow for a compensation package paid by the athletic program to guys that suffer career ending injuries that also covers tuition through grad school and covers the extent of the injury. If a guy has a spinal injury, he should get generously paid.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

"Go Bulls!" -Jeff Scott.

Thought the writers ending of: Dabo is busy & doesn't have to worry sbout it

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 12:28 PM

was way too negative & unneccesary since Dabo had given him alot of his time and had expressed his sincere concern for the players well-being & betterment thru a degree. .

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

To All CLEMSON TiGERS..Sending you Bright Light from the Carolina Coast and hoping you get to witness a huge Orange sunset tonight. Go Tigers!

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 1:22 PM

Just more crazy liberal news coming out of California.....they have gone totally nut over there......Go Tigers!!!!!

California and la times sure are worried about Dabo and

[1]
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 1:47 PM

lil ol Clemson. Could it be because their 5* hs recruits now belong to us? ??

Replies: 16  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Fiesta Bowl
FOR SALE: Five (5) Fiesta Bowl Tickets for sale. Section 106, Row 28, Seats 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Prefer to sell al...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
2242 people have read this post